Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ULMarc

My baseband is I9250XXLF1 and I haven't noticed any Signal issues on JB.

Can somone else do me a favour. If you have a stock ROM (rooted or unrooted) can you please tell me what your kernel version is. I have Kernel "3.0.31-go8de0e2 android-build@vpvs1

I'm just trying to figure out if this is stock or modified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

ULMarc wrote: »
    My baseband is I9250XXLF1 and I haven't noticed any Signal issues on JB.

Can somone else do me a favour. If you have a stock ROM (rooted or unrooted) can you please tell me what your kernel version is. I have Kernel "3.0.31-go8de0e2 android-build@vpvs1

I'm just trying to figure out if this is stock or modified.

Ye that's mine.. that's bigxie's I think? Which is deodexed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Im on XXLA2. Now there is a chance that there are Vodafone issues around Harcourt Street, I doubt it though. Just went outside and got full H, then gone, nothing, then 1 bar of G, then Edge, now nothing again. Im not ruling out that the phone is fine and there is a cell issue :confused:

Kernel Version

3.0.31-ge8de0e2 [EMAIL="android-build@vpbs1"]android-build@vpbs1[/EMAIL])

PS. Thanks for the replies...

Sorry for spamming you lads, but apparently there is indeed Vodafone issues today. Coincidence or what, but there you go.

At least I hope this is the issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm on XXLA2 and my kernel is 3.0.31-ge8de0e2 android-build@vpbs1)
    I've had no signal issues and have been running JB for nearly a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Was going to root my device but i might as well wait until JB is released :rolleyes:

The link I posted above is suppose to be a stock version, no rooting involved, and you are still eligible for OTA updates, apparently!! Says me who cant make/receive a call :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Arithon

Having said earlier that I had no issues, I left home, and fully lost coverage. It came back ~15 minutes later.

As SmithySeller noted, looks like there was a country-wide Vodafone network outage: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056692347

And http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/12009-network-issues/

All back and working for me. Jelly Bean works just perfect, and for those interested, if you had Flash installed it continues to work just fine. Thanks to those that replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Think I will wait for the OTA update....afraid I would balls something up on what is the best phone i have ever used ever....:D

Think I will wait for the OTA update....afraid I would balls something up on what is the best phone i have ever used ever....:D

Apt username.

This has made my day, thank you.

C-Shore wrote: »
    Apt username.

This has made my day, thank you.

Which part in particular? smart.......oh sorry that't not your name

:confused:

I'm not sure if you're offended by what I said, but there was no malice in it, so apologies if it came across wrong. I just found it funny that your username is Technophobe and you talked about being afraid that you would balls something up on your smartphone.
    Although in reply to what you said, witty comebacks are usually executed best when spell checked.

Also, flashing 4.1 to your phone isn't too difficult — there are plenty of guides around, or if you want help, just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tap tap, joke detector not working.....

C-Shore wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm not sure if you're offended by what I said, but there was no malice in it, so apologies if it came across wrong. I just found it funny that your username is Technophobe and you talked about being afraid that you would balls something up on your smartphone.
    Although in reply to what you said, witty comebacks are usually executed best when spell checked.

Also, flashing 4.1 to your phone isn't too difficult — there are plenty of guides around, or if you want help, just ask.

No bother, wasn't sure whether you were tryin to be a smartass....
    The user name is slightly ironic but that's a different story..... Had a bit of a disaster with a HTC Desire HD when last messed around with non OTA updates, so am slightly wary.....Nexus works like a dream, so don't want to fcuk (deliberate mispelling this time ;) ) it up.....

listermint wrote: »
    tap tap, joke detector not working.....

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Came across this little app recently...

It's for ROOTED Galaxy Nexus only. It adds the ability to swipe the screen left to right to unlock (free) and to swipe right to left on the bottom of the screen to lock (paid).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.ponury.pgm2free

If you're phone is on a desk it can be handy to unlock this way sometimes, paid version is pretty expensive for what it does so I just got the free one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Jelly Bean is rolling out OTA, anyone got it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Sledgejammer

I'm still on 4.0.2! I bought this phone with one carrier then switched sims and went to another a month later (Both Canadian fwiw), is this affecting my ability to get the updates? I've decided Google Voice is too fun looking a gimmick that it'll be worth sideloading flash if necessary to get it

Nolimits wrote: »
    Jelly Bean is rolling out OTA, anyone got it yet?

I've not got the OTA but I manually flashed a 4.1.1 ROM yesterday (which should be the version getting sent OTA today) and it's even smoother than 4.1.
    Google Now launches instantly and I've not seen any stuttering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

I wonder does the Google services trick still work to force the phone to update the 4.11 OTA.
    You go to Apps and clear data of the Google Services Framework. Then check for updates.

Edit:
    Only rolling out OTA for takju devices. Most GN phones in Ireland will be yakju.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

ongarite wrote: »
    I wonder does the Google services trick still work to force the phone to update the 4.11 OTA.
    You go to Apps and clear data of the Google Services Framework. Then check for updates.

Edit:
    Only rolling out OTA for takju devices. Most GN phones in Ireland will be yakju.

Thanks, I can rest easy again...until I notice people on YAKJU posting about updates!

I was wondering as websites where saying GN HDSPA+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Edit:

According to android police this update should be received by both takju and jakju devices which would make sense as the update to takju has been happening for days since the conference, wouldn't make sense for Google just to announce it this morning.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/10/android-4-1-jelly-bean-rollout-beginning-now-with-hspa-galaxy-nexus-devices/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

thomasj wrote: »
    According to android police this update should be received by both takju and jakju devices which would make sense as the update to takju has been happening for days since the conference, wouldn't make sense for Google just to announce it this morning.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/10/android-4-1-jelly-bean-rollout-beginning-now-with-hspa-galaxy-nexus-devices/
    Doesn't look like it. If you look on Google's site, the OTA links are still only for takju devices:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1764536

takju and yakju receive the same OTA updates. The difference with takju devices being that they have hard support for Google Wallet.

That's not to say it sheds any light on how Google is incrementally releasing the update. They could be releasing based on build number, region, carrier etc.

ULMarc wrote: »
    That's not to say it sheds any light on how Google is incrementally releasing the update. They could be releasing based on build number, region, carrier etc.

It's by carrier I believe. I remember it took me ages to get 4.0.2 OTA.

Edit:

I appear to be on IMM76I I know I was on Yakju, not sure when it changed

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭kave2

Yakju IMM76I here. No OTA yet. I don't think it's by carrier. I received all my OTA very quickly, btw got the phone from Vodafone, PAYG. Current OTA is for Takju, which are phones directly from Google Play store. We should get it very soon i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

kave2 wrote: »
    Yakju IMM76I here. No OTA yet. I don't think it's by carrier. I received all my OTA very quickly, btw got the phone from Vodafone, PAYG. Current OTA is for Takju, which are phones directly from Google Play store. We should get it very soon i believe.

forgot all about Jelly Bean :D , Still nothing yet, only a matter of time though.
    Still on Android 4.0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 7 VVOORR

I'll admit to changing the date/time to 2013 to force the OTA update. Didn't work obviously. Oh well....

no update here, on meteor. Although one of the lads has jellybean on his. But he was in the US with the device

Edit:
    Some people in the UK on XDA using Yakju are saying this has worked for them, not many people but a few, this leads me to think they may be lying but it is worth a shot, I've tried a few times with no luck

I used the above, don't know if it's coincidence or not but

eFkWG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

eFkWG.jpg

Done it a couple of times myself, but no joy unfortunately. Not inclined to root yet, though getting very fidgity waiting! Ended rooting N1 due to impatience also!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 magma

eoferrall wrote: »

eFkWG.jpg

Done it a couple of times myself, but no joy unfortunately. Not inclined to root yet, though getting very fidgity waiting! Ended rooting N1 due to impatience also!

Tried this loads of times yesterday, but no joy. Tried it again just there and low and behold, Jelly Bean upgrade! Keep the faith!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You guys that is worked for have the yakju build? What network?

Im almost certain that I'm on yakju. Was on build IMM761, now on build JRO03C. Im with O2.

• Advertisement

helpful if you would say which network you are on. Might have some consequence

magma wrote: »
    Im almost certain that I'm on yakju. Was on build IMM761, now on build JRO03C. Im with O2.

I did

listermint wrote: »
    helpful if you would say which network you are on. Might have some consequence
    I was on yakju, and the network is 3 but i dont think that matters. Ive also lost text prediction on here, using swiftkey

I was on yakju, and the network is 3 but i dont think that matters. Ive also lost text prediction on here, using swiftkey

not liking the loss of swiftkey

Really? Swiftkey is working fine for me.

magma wrote: »

Really? Swiftkey is working fine for me.
    I was using stock ics browser, after what you said I switched to chrome and the prediction is back

• Advertisement

Good call, I find Chrome much better. Im tempted to try out the new stock keyboard, as it is supposed to have similar prediction to Swiftkey, but it's hard to consider leaving Swiftkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Anyone know what my options might be for getting a Galaxy Nexus repaired?

It got a bit wet, not soaked but enough to do some damage. It seems to function fine for the most part but two show-stopping problems: sim card isn't recognized (unable to find any network) and it constantly thinks it's charging, even when unplugged and turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Goodshape wrote: »
    Anyone know what my options might be for getting a Galaxy Nexus repaired?

It got a bit wet, not soaked but enough to do some damage. It seems to function fine for the most part but two show-stopping problems: sim card isn't recognized (unable to find any network) and it constantly thinks it's charging, even when unplugged and turned off.

Just opened up boards to ask you guys a similar q. I dropped mine today. Cracked screen in a few places at the top. Agggghhhhh

Called Vodafone who told me to pack it up and drop it into a retail store where a company called fonfix.com will look at it.
    Anyone heard of them?

I would take it to a repair shop yourself and have them repair it under the manufacturer's warranty. Carriers will call you on a void warranty for all sorts of reasons whereas a reapir center makes the money regardless if the repair is paid for by the customer or the OEM's warranty.

So they may be inclined to accept your claim. Or they might be able to split up your repair, replacing some parts at a charge and some parts under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Upgraded after clearing the data from the services framework about 200 times today!

I'm liking how smooth and fast it is now. I have chrome as the default browser but surprised The existing browser Is still there.

I'm liking the new font even better than the existing one! Still can't grasp Google now though!

If anyone is upgrading note its stating the update can only be downloaded by WiFi until tomorrow.

My phone was bought from Vodafone from the start and is unbranded and unlocked and I am the meteor network

• Advertisement
Advertisement