Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

squire23 wrote: »
    I'm currently rocking the Legend (which was a completely underrated phone) so am looking to upgrade soon. Obviously the choice at the moment is the between the S2 & the Sensation. While the Nexus is a monster of a phone screen-wise & RAM-wise I actually don't think it offers anything to compete with the S2 once it gets the ICS upgrade. The screen is only marginally bigger. The camera issue between the 2 I think has been overblown; megapixels doesn't necessarily mean you getter a better quality picture - you just get a bigger picture that's all. The SD card slot is a major issue however and was the really the main reason I choose the Xoom over the Tab 10.1.

For me personally, the single only reason for me pay out for the Nexus is ICS. But it give it another 4 weeks & I guarantee we'll already start to see ICS ROM's being released.
    Have decided on the SGS2 - the absence of a MicroSD Slot is the reason. Really how did no one think that was a crucial factor when designing this phone :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kev. wrote: »
    Considering that the Nexus One is the fastest phone in Ireland and the Prime comes Pre loaded with ICS ,there will be only one winner...

Whut :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Kev. wrote: »
    Considering that the Nexus One is the fastest phone in Ireland and the Prime comes Pre loaded with ICS ,there will be only one winner...

Any stats to back up your claim Kev.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Any stats to back up your claim Kev.?

Don't feed the troll :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

squire23 wrote: »
    Have decided on the SGS2 - the absence of a MicroSD Slot is the reason. Really how did no one think that was a crucial factor when designing this phone :confused:

The only thing I can think of is, they would like to encourage people to use Google Music, which should be coming out of beta soon.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's all I got, although it is worth noting that the Nexus S didn't have an SD either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Nolimits wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is, they would like to encourage people to use Google Music, which should be coming out of beta soon.

Its not supported in Europe though so I wouldn't go along with that.
    Also Google betas tend to last years!

I may be wrong on this bit but I think I read that its free while in beta mode which kind of suggests that they plan to charge for it when launched officially.
    Maybe not though as Google usually provide software free for consumers and only chargefor commercial use.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Its not supported in Europe though so I wouldn't go along with that.
    Also Google betas tend to last years!

I may be wrong on this bit but I think I read that its free while in beta mode which kind of suggests that they plan to charge for it when launched officially.
    Maybe not though as Google usually provide software free for consumers and only chargefor commercial use.

Oh right I see, I know the beta is only in US but for some reason assumed when it came out of beta it would be everywhere, I'm not sure why I assumed that now that I think about it.

So I contribute something useful today, the cheapest I've found it, unlocked
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/5527/samsung-galaxy-nexus-16gb--sim-free-unlocked-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thread name changed to reflect new name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Well 3 have announced they won't be stocking this, looks like it's Vodafone and Meteor

• Advertisement

Well 3 have announced they won't be stocking this, looks like it's Vodafone and Meteor

is there any official confirmation , from meteor , don't want to go to Vodafone as there plans are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Kenno90 wrote: »

is there any official confirmation , from meteor , don't want to go to Vodafone as there plans are rubbish

other than that tweet, no! they have been very quiet for the past week which sounds worrying, I want that phone and am a meteor customer!

i read somewhere that for some of the other models such as the samsung galaxy s2, the back, home and menu buttons will continue to be from the hardware buttons.

I am not a fan of the physical buttons so it's definately a galaxy nexus for me!

What i'm interested about is the setting key, is gone.

The vast majority of apps have a menu brought up by pressing the settings keys.

Am i missing something?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If it is anything like honeycomb, the settings "button" appears depending on the app.

If it is anything like honeycomb, the settings "button" appears depending on the app.

the settings button is 3 dots (one under the other ) icon

for example in the internet browser it will be located on the top right hand corner.

it will appear depending on the screen, not every screen of every app will need it

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

thomasj wrote: »
    other than that tweet, no! they have been very quiet for the past week which sounds worrying, I want that phone and am a meteor customer!

The Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page say that it is planned to be on sale by end of month and planned dates and operators t be confired asap

another previous post on their page said that it would be on sale through carphone warehouse on Meteor and O2 networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

damul wrote: »
    The Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page say that it is planned to be on sale by end of month and planned dates and operators t be confired asap

another previous post on their page said that it would be on sale through carphone warehouse on Meteor and O2 networks

You have to laugh and then on the carphone warehouse facebook they say they are not stocking this phone, on the o2 bit of boards, it says they are not stocking it either! :rolleyes:

angel01 wrote: »
    You have to laugh and then on the carphone warehouse facebook they say they are not stocking this phone, on the o2 bit of boards, it says they are not stocking it either! :rolleyes:

yes frustrating

I called into carphone warehouse and was told they didnt know anything either way yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

yes frustrating

I called into carphone warehouse and was told they didnt know anything either way yet

It has been badly managed, that's for sure! Noone knows who is stocking it or not stocking it for sure!

I trust noone at this stage! :D

There seems to be a hell of alot of confusion I'm not sure even Samsung themselves know anymore!

A guy in the meteor shop said they don't think they'd be getting the new nexus , since they never used to:(

A guy in the meteor shop said they don't think they'd be getting the new nexus , since they never used to:(

Meteor told me on twitter that they are but no confirmation on date or price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Meteor told me on twitter that they are but no confirmation on date or price

Yup Facebook Meteor told me they were stocking this also - just got to wait and see

have to say that I have been comparing this to the new nokia windows phone and motorola razr in terms of hardware specs, the one thing that has drove me towards this phone is the removable battery! companies like mugen are really good at releasing extended batteries for android phones. as I use it quiet heavily this would be a major factor for me!

one other major problem I had was overlooking missed calls and messages so the fact that there is now a notification lights for the nexus and that the notifications will be able to be seen on the lock screen is also a major plus.

one minor negative and this could be a major issue, it turns out that if reports are to believed the face unlock system is fooled by photos so they will have to look at that!

• Advertisement

one minor negative and this could be a major issue, it turns out that if reports are to believed the face unlock system is fooled by photos so they will have to look at that!

I don't think it's the type of security feature you should rely on, would make it a little harder if someone stole or just found your phone (stranger obviously) but you can use regular security features like a pattern unlock or pin unlock if you're worried

I don't think it's the type of security feature you should rely on, would make it a little harder if someone stole or just found your phone (stranger obviously) but you can use regular security features like a pattern unlock or pin unlock if you're worried

To me thats a gimmick feature , you'll use it a few times just to say 'look at what my phone can do' bit like apple's siri if you ask me.

The one major reason i want this phone , is that screen, 4.65 inches with an amazing resolution. Plus i hear initial reports of the battery are quite good. 10 hours oh HEAVY HEAVY use

To me thats a gimmick feature , you'll use it a few times just to say 'look at what my phone can do' bit like apple's siri if you ask me.

The one major reason i want this phone , is that screen, 4.65 inches with an amazing resolution. Plus i hear initial reports of the battery are quite good. 10 hours oh HEAVY HEAVY use

The battery is a major factor for me so from the reviews I have read so far on the battery front it's looking good

The other things is that the battery is removable so if an extended battery is needed the option is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

looks like it is out in the UK on Thursday 17th as was previous taught
    I think they may have been waiting the Music announcement on Wednesday 16th

http://recombu.com/news/samsung-galaxy-nexus-is-not-delayed_M15791.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

ftm2008 wrote: »
    looks like it is out in the UK on Thursday 17th as was previous taught
    I think they may have been waiting the Music announcement on Wednesday 16th

http://recombu.com/news/samsung-galaxy-nexus-is-not-delayed_M15791.html

But will it be out in Ireland on that day. Vodafone say they are stocking it but with 3 days to go they can't confirm a launch date, further details, pricing etc...

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    But will it be out in Ireland on that day. Vodafone say they are stocking it but with 3 days to go they can't confirm a launch date, further details, pricing etc...
    I dont really understand this, I decided not to order from an Irish site as they weren't expecting stock in till December, I was told on here, that it's only 3 weeks after launch and you can't ask for more than that, well yes I can. It was the same with the 4s and presumably others as well I've really only just started to take a big interest in this field. Modern warfare 3 was out last week, imagine going into HMV/Game, only to be told they wouldn't have it for three weeks and you should be quite happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-nexus-16gb

Not bad price wise but I have to resist,getting weaker now ........

That's who I ordered from, if you're a first time customer, they ask that you provide some security, either a picture/scan of your passport/drivers licence, you can blur out what you want as long as they can see your name, or the authoirsation code from your credit card company.

I chose the latter, and having ordered it a few days ago rang up today with the code, was talking to the bloke on the phone asking if they have it confirmed that they will be getting them on Thursday, he says that as far as they're aware they are, but they seem to be one of only a few companies getting it on the release date. He said they also can't confirm numbers, they probably won't have enough in the first shipment for their orders and if it follows the usual pattern they should be getting them in most weeks after that.

That's who I ordered from, if you're a first time customer, they ask that you provide some security, either a picture/scan of your passport/drivers licence, you can blur out what you want as long as they can see your name, or the authoirsation code from your credit card company.

I chose the latter, and having ordered it a few days ago rang up today with the code, was talking to the bloke on the phone asking if they have it confirmed that they will be getting them on Thursday, he says that as far as they're aware they are, but they seem to be one of only a few companies getting it on the release date. He said they also can't confirm numbers, they probably won't have enough in the first shipment for their orders and if it follows the usual pattern they should be getting them in most weeks after that.

Since i'm going the old fashioned route and this phone through a carrier, i expect a nice loooooong review mate ;).

Anyway totally agree with the above comments, its a joke where getting it three weeks from the launch date , don't see what the hold up is

ICS Source Code released. Yays
    http://goo.gl/y0zHc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

ICS Source Code released. Yays
    http://goo.gl/y0zHc

Happy happy days! Can't wait for this on me Galaxy Tab 10.1 :-)

It'll be strange have the same android version on phones and tablets. Amost apple like :eek:

Looking forward to reading a proper review of this thing , the phones seemed to disappear after the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Annoying as hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Today was apparently release day, anyone get it yet?

Not much online reviews yet......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Phones4U are the only worldwide seller today,, expect the 3 UK carriers VF, 3 & O2 next week, Ireland who knows,
    annoying - its verging on the ridiculous, if the iPhone was being released today imagine the press it would be getting, im sure we will get some reviews later today
    still gonna wait for it though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

£34 a month!!

nothing upfront and only £3 more for all you can eat data.

I hate this country

pah wrote: »
    £34 a month!!

nothing upfront and only £3 more for all you can eat data.

I hate this country

Lot easier to offer good deals when your marketing to a population of 60 million instead of 6

I know its been argued to death.

Three.ie only carrier trying to bring down costs imo, on a great package atm for €30pm

I know its been argued to death.

Three.ie only carrier trying to bring down costs imo, on a great package atm for €30pm

Same here. 30 with 3 and ive never gone into extra costs. Compared to my old o2 bill its heaven!

Same here. 30 with 3 and ive never gone into extra costs. Compared to my old o2 bill its heaven!

there costs for ringing the likes ok Sky on 0818 number, 1890 numbers and mobile internet while abroad are all higher than other providers

Mobile internet charges while abroad are robbery compared to Vodafone and Meteor anyway

There standard charges are good though but for €30 with Meteor you can get 200 mins and 200 texts and 1GB internet usage which although is not 'all you can eat' is more than enough for me

Unlimited data including tethering, unlimited landline calls, 250 mins & 200 texts. Good enough for me but everyones needs are different.

Use viber or skype and jellysms for three webtext (333) extra texts while abroad on wifi. The other half was in spain for 7 weeks over the summer and her bills for the 2 months were around the €50 mark instead of €30 for the extra calls & text charges.

I can get the galaxy s2 on free early upgrade but i think ill wait and see what 3 have to offer if they have the nexus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm with Vodafone on the 2GB a month plan.

It's been great for me but I intend to move from iPhone to Android for the first time (Nexus) - have my whole account ready to go including music. don't know why I did't move to Android before now as I am Google dependent for years.

I got a "3" pre pay sim yesterday so I am going to test it for coverage etc... as All you can eat data would be useful for the music streaming etc... but the one thing I love about my Vodafone contract is the fact that I can use Google maps abroad (been to the USA twice in lat 18months) and it comes out of my 2GB data allowance and therefore no cost.

Having a smartphone abroad like that is so useful on the street in 3G coverage because, for example, in Maps I could find nearest bus stops in the US along with the integrated real time arrive/depart times. That's what mobile tech is all about, don't fancy paying the big premium with "3" for using such services abroad.

We'll see though... gotta weigh up my options I guess

Unlimited data including tethering, unlimited landline calls, 250 mins & 200 texts. Good enough for me but everyones needs are different.

Use viber or skype and jellysms for three webtext (333) extra texts while abroad on wifi. The other half was in spain for 7 weeks over the summer and her bills for the 2 months were around the €50 mark instead of €30 for the extra calls & text charges.

I can get the galaxy s2 on free early upgrade but i think ill wait and see what 3 have to offer if they have the nexus

if you have wifi then great but actual mobile internet usage for even something as simple as getting directions on a map cost me a fortune in Romania

Vodafone is €2 per 50MB I think and with Three I used €10 in no time at all, nowhere close to 10MB. This combined with my coverage dropping and poor mobile internet coverage at times I dont find Three that good.

As you said everyone is different

On a side note Samsung just replied to somebody on Facebook said an announcement would be made over the coming weeks about release in Ireland

• Advertisement

I'm on meteor now, but i'll happily switch to 3 for this phone, I'm on 35 Euro a months with the usual 200min/text and a gig of internet.
    But knowing meteor they'll have it after Xmas if they stock it at all :eek:

Do 3 offer something similar ??

Also worried a bit about their coverage , i'm in Dublin most of the week but i travel back and fourth to Meath (small town) so i dunno if the reception will be good there.

Really looking forward to this phone, Hopefully have a nice long review to read in a day or two.

Advertisement