Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time mum advice needed

• 05-10-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi just looking to get a bit of advice my near 3 week old newborn wont sleep at night basically her feed was due for 1030 pm last night she was wide awake for it she took all the bottle 3 oz and was still wide awake after it i winded her and lay her down in her crib beside the bed bit she kept tossing and turning and grunting bit she never cried she was nearly wide awake for her next feed at 230, is it normal for her to be awake most the night she sleeps during the day downstairs i wake her for her feeds but mostly she wakes on her own for feeding during her feed she makes alot of snorting sounds too any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's perfectly normal. New born babies confuse day and night and it takes a few weeks for them to become accustomed to sleeping more at night.

Snorting noises are normal too. We used to call our son our little truffle pig because between his snorting and his rooting for a feed that's what he was like!

Congrats by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Congrats Cookie!

Firstly,make sure the rooms are not too warm- it will be easier for her to breathe if the air is moist, if you have heating on,have a container of water nearby to humidify air.Having said that,a lot of babies snort and snuffle, and this is normal.

Re: feeding.If a baby is gaining weight, and has no underlying medical condition, I wouldn't be inclined to wake them(day or night) for feeding.Certainly breastfed babies wouldn't be woken,as a general rule.Maybe she needs a little more volume with her feeds?

Perhaps your little ray of sunshine is like me? I never slept at night as a baby,wide awake ,much to my mother's dismay and slept all day.

Once she is thriving,and not crying at night,she is obviously content.
    Look after you and get some rest during the day while she sleeps,this mothering is very rewarding,but hard work sometimes.
    Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

cookie2010 wrote: »
    Hi just looking to get a bit of advice my near 3 week old newborn wont sleep at night basically her feed was due for 1030 pm last night she was wide awake for it she took all the bottle 3 oz and was still wide awake after it i winded her and lay her down in her crib beside the bed bit she kept tossing and turning and grunting bit she never cried she was nearly wide awake for her next feed at 230, is it normal for her to be awake most the night she sleeps during the day downstairs i wake her for her feeds but mostly she wakes on her own for feeding during her feed she makes alot of snorting sounds too any advice much appreciated

If she's finishing the 3oz bottle, try her with 4 oz's at the next feed - the extra might make her more content. I always upped the amount of formula by an ounce whenever they started draining the bottle completely.

The snuffling and grunting is very common. Try putting a few drops of Karvol on a tissue near the crib and see if that helps at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Firstly congratulations on your new arrival!
    My son is 4 months old now but up untill he was between 4 and 6 weeks old he would sleep most of the day and be awake at night, which you know yourself is lots of fun lol. Anyway, at the time i was wondering how to reverse it so he would be asleep at night and awake during thw day, but it actually just happend naturally. The babies just do it themselves. In general what iv read and heard from most people is that babies start to sleep much better by 6 weeks... But there will always be some that dont.
    In regard to the grunting and tossing and turning, my son usually does this if i havent gotten all of his wind up (which i only found out a few weeks ago) so after i feed and wind him, and put him down if hes doing that then il take him up and try winding him again. Usually i wind him by bouncing him-lightly,on my knee and rubbling his back. I find this gets his wind up far better and quicker. But every baby is different-this is just what works for me. Anyway 9 times out of ten il get another burp or two then put him down and he will sleep much more peacefully. And just to mention here, during the day i always wake my son for a feed and i used to at night up untill he was approx 4weeks. Then i just stopped and let him wake me when he wanted one. I found it was best to try get some rest myself, while he was resting too. Paticurally at night.
    Also, if your little one is drinking the full 3oz then you could try putting an extra oz in the bottle. She prob wont drink it all,yet, but the little bit more she does take may make her more content, and for longer!
    I hope this helps. Best of luck with everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

good advice there from qwertytlk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Congrats on the new arrival:D Its the toughest job in the world and unfortunately you will get mixed and contradictory advice from everyone you meet.
    What works for one will not necessarily work for another:(
    Get in touch with your Public Health Nurse (a good one can be very helpful) and if possible, get your own mother involved early- after all she has a bit of experience;)
    Good luck and try not to fret, it will work itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Congrats on the new baby!

My daughter had her day and nights reversed and we didn't get her down to sleep before 11 till she was 18 weeks old! It was party time up till then. We gradually worked on bringing her bedtime back and now she goes to sleep at 8pm (10 months old). There is nothing drastic you can do with a baby that small to make them sleep. Just reduce stimulation in the couple of hours before bed - lights dim, no tv etc, (sometimes a dip in the bath can make them sleepy) and then be patient. Its hard to see now but all these phases with babies last a really short time so hang on in there. And get your OH to do some of the nightwork if he can:)

Advertisement