Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Beams in Attic for Ladder.

• 05-10-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I want to install an attic Ladder which I have bought. The thing is, The length of the ladder is 115cm. If I cut through one beam then lengthwise the distance will be 110cm. This means I will have to cut through two beams to get the ladder to fit.

I've attached a pic to show what I mean.

Is the do-able or is this not advisable?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Gerb68 wrote: »
    I want to install an attic Ladder which I have bought. The thing is, The length of the ladder is 115cm. If I cut through one beam then lengthwise the distance will be 110cm. This means I will have to cut through two beams to get the ladder to fit.

I've attached a pic to show what I mean.

Is the do-able or is this not advisable?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

i'd do this, but please note my caveat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Is it possible to rotate the ladder entry 90deg so that you will get away with cutting only one. I know this is an obvious solution but it has not been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

ShaunC wrote: »
    Is it possible to rotate the ladder entry 90deg so that you will get away with cutting only one. I know this is an obvious solution but it has not been mentioned.

No. Unfortunatly due to bedroom partitions underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

just 5 cms?

I would cut the two, reinforce the left hand cut one with a new same size parallel length of timber towards the left, maybe with a 1-2cm spacer which will give you your 115cms. make this at least 3 meters with about 20+ decent fixings!

Make sure you double up the perpindicular reinforcement between the above reinforced rafter and the uncut rafter to the right and use decent metal brackets to fix this cut rafter to the perpendicular reinforcement to stop the other rafter from spreading!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Gerb68

You can use timber to timber hangers to put a piece of timber back up @ 115cm you require. See attached
    Cutting Beams in Attic for Ladder.docx

NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Timber hangers?

They are not designed for stretching only hanging. Use proper timber brackets to do this!

Heavy-Duty-Angle-Bracket_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you've got pre-fabricated trusses then you really need to be extra careful as they are designed with specific loads in mind. Safest thing to do is consult a structural engineer to give you the go ahead, even if it's only to cover your posterior should you need your home insurance to repair any roofing problems in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Would all these issues arise if I needed to cut just one joist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Gerb68 wrote: »
    Would all these issues arise if I needed to cut just one joist?
    Possibly, depending on your roof construction.

There are plenty of attic ladders which don't need such a large opening, 2 piece sliding ladder, telescopic ladders and concertina ladders need very little space. Might be cheaper and safer to change your ladder rather than making unsure cuts or hiring an engineer. I reckon you'll be ok if you replace the bit you cut out and reinforce the other joists but cut your roof at your own risk.

Advertisement