Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are ESB for business much dearer than residential on ESB or other providers?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I use around 150e a month on electricity. Why are business rates around 10-15% higher than residential?
    I have switched to Bord Gais on a years contract at a 10% lower fixed rate and with a lower standing charge now, but if I decide to switch back would ESB be competitive with them on electricity only?
    Do you do fixed rates?
    Airtricity were a little cheaper than Bord Gais but their standing charge was 1.02 a day versus 41 cent a day with Bord Gais versus 46 cent a day with ESB on the new tariffs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi lomb,

Unfortunately we don't offer a fixed rate, but if you PM me your MPRN and usage in kilowatts per month, we would be able to provide you with a direct comparison against the rates at which you are currently being charged.
    lomb wrote:
    Why are business rates around 10-15% higher than residential?

Businesses are in a different rate category from residential customers due to capacity requirements; your MPRN classification (or Duos Group) determines whether your connection is marked as a commericial or residential property (decided by ESB Networks upon application and subsequent installation of the meter). This is also why we would need your MPRN to give you an accurate quote; your property's MIC (Maximum Import Capacity) and Duos Group (in addition to your usage in kWh) all need to be taken into consideration.

Hope this helps. You can also get a quote by calling our business team directly on 1850 30 50 70, or by requesting a callback.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭private

I run a 5 bed b&b and I am currently trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to change from DG5 to DG 2 ie. switch from commercial to residential. I have talked to ESB networks and they will do the switch once I fill out and send in the NC3 form requesting the KVA to be cut from 45000 and the redesignation.

My usage is 20,000 per annum

I specifically switched back from to ESB ireland from Airticity so I could get the DG5 status changed. However I am finding it difficult to work out your best price plan. Do you really only have 2 tariffs for domestic electricity only users and the unit charge is terribly high 18.38 incl. VAT

Can you do the maths for me for 20000 units per year as domestic customer and as a commercial customer? Which is cheapest? Should I switch from DG5 or not?

I did not sign a contract when I returned to ESB from Airtricity so am still shopping around for best value. I can throw in my gas account too which uses 28,000 units at the standard domestic tariff, water, dryer and heating are all gas.

How is VAT treated on a residential bill vs commercial and if the VAT on the domestic bill is not claimable ( couldn't figure it out on revenue.ie) what is the difference in loss/profit by switching from commercial to domestic?

Hope you've got your calculator? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Private,

Just to advise we have been looking into this since you posted it, and will reply asap.

All the best :)
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Private,

Could you forward me some details by private message?

What I would require is as follows:

The MPRN and GPRN, as well as the relevant gas band.

Una

Hi again Private,

Could you forward me some details by private message?

What I would require is as follows:

The MPRN and GPRN, as well as the relevant gas band.

Una
    Pm sent cheers Grainne

• Advertisement

gas is on domestic standard rate.
    Last bill 13 july -12th Sept
    4443kWh @0.03932

Advertisement