Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico modem claims

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:37pm

A friend of my just rang me to ask my advice on what he had been told by his ISP Perlico.

After not being able to connect to the internet he rang Perlico to troubleshoot the problem. After explaining the issue to the "tech support" guy on the end of the phone and trying all the usual steps (power off, power on, reset button) the guy at the end of the phone started to tell him that it was not looking good and that he would have to run some more tests but that the Modem/Router (I'm not familiar with the model) was over a year old and they only usually last a year!:eek:

After running a "few more tests" he informed my friend that the Modem/Router was in fact the problem and that because the warranty runs out after a year and it had been over a year, that he would have to shell out €80 for a new one!

How can they get away with providing Faulty hardware and expect the costumer to foot the bill!:mad:
    I have routers that I still use that are 5 and 6 years old (flashed with DD-WRT) with no issues.

This is not the first horror story I'v heard about this ISP.:rolleyes:
    I advised my friend to cancel his subscription with them and go elsewhere (UPC)

Has anybody else been told that the router they were provided with usually only lasts a year and they will have to replace it at there own cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've removed the parts where you make potentially defamatory claims, since I'm pretty sure you're not out to be sued by them.

• Haha thanks ;)

Don't want to be sued, but they are defiantly my views on Perlico!

I'll be more careful with my wording in future. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd bet they'd get a free router if they signed a new contract :D

A router should last longer than a year, but the POS they usually provide (cheapest they can get their hands on) probably only lasts that.

Eircom do the same btw, as in make you pay for another or sign up to a new contract when the crappy Netopia or Zyxel they supply dies. If you've a business connection with them they will post a new one out next day delivery without any charge.

Advertisement