Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Criminal Record the end of the world....?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Well,I'm just about to receive a criminal conviction for theft...

i was hoping i'd get a chance and be given probation seen as its my first offence etc..

but my solicitor says i haven't a hope in Hell...

so is a criminal record the end of the world? (not literally)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Sarah316 wrote: »
    Well,I'm just about to receive a criminal conviction for theft...

i was hoping i'd get a chance and be given probation seen as its my first offence etc..

but my solicitor says i haven't a hope in Hell...

so is a criminal record the end of the world? (not literally)

i am not a leagle eagle, but i think it depends on what you took, and by what means you took it, was it breaking into someones property and stealing jewellery, hi fi, tv.etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Sarah316

it was from my employer,1300 value,and i gave it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

For what purposes?

I'm guessing it depends what you do/want to do and where you want to travel to. Those would be the first things I'd think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's not the end of the world. It may cause a little difficulty when applying for visas or jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

I know at least in the US, an Old criminal conviction isn't a deal breaker for gaining Government Security Clearance: http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2010.html

If you can get a Government job with a criminal record, I don't think a private sector job would pose too much of a problem provided a little time has passed. A bump in the road provided you can change your situation.

• Advertisement

that was my worry,i mean i want to get a slightly decent job capable enough of getting me a mortgage etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

It may hinder you applying for jobs going forward unfortunately.Alot of jobs require that you have to answer whether you have any criminal convictions and one for stealing from an employer wouldnt look good(not that any would but you know what I mean).

It does seem a bit harsh that your former employer is pursuing a conviction considering you paid them back.I know one or two people that made the same mistake but their employer agreed not to press charges once the money was paid back in full.

Best of luck with things going forward anyway.
    :)

that was my worry,i mean i want to get a slightly decent job capable enough of getting me a mortgage etc...

Don't take my word for it, but can you not apply for a pardon or expungement after a probationary period to prove you have been rehabilitated? Maybe ask your solicitor about that. Mind you, he does not sound too knowledgeable from what you have posted. Ask him more questions.

it was from my employer,1300 value,and i gave it back.
    have you gone to your employer or sent someone on your behalf to ask for a reprieve, no amount of money can buy you a good name, if you get convicted, try to get someone your employer would listen to, and keep your nose clean from this point out

I've researched that and i don't think that kind of option exists in ireland,i know in england they have a rehabilitation of offenders act,were crimes can become spent etc....

I'm still going to pursue a non-conviction/probation,but being told theres no chance in hell,it doesn't really look good....

apparently if i had a drink or drug problem it would be more likely,but because i've been doing all the rehabilitation myself i.e getting counseling,theres not much chance of probation......

ridiculous i know...

• Advertisement

i dont think that would be an option goat2,and i plan to keep my nose clean regardless,the stress this has caused myself and my family is more then enough reason for me to never commit a crime again..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Not the end of the world, but you will have paved yourself a rocky road.

Frankly I hope you suffer. You're a thief. Your careless and immoral actions cost the Irish public millions - that's not to mention the emotional distress caused by your sort.

What did you steal anyway? Mugged an old lady or what?

Not the end of the world, but you will have paved yourself a rocky road.

Frankly I hope you suffer. You're a thief. Your careless and immoral actions cost the Irish public millions - that's not to mention the emotional distress caused by your sort.

What did you steal anyway? Mugged an old lady or what?

Go back under your bridge

i dont think that would be an option goat2,and i plan to keep my nose clean regardless,the stress this has caused myself and my family is more then enough reason for me to never commit a crime again..
    is the business a privately owned business that you worked for, if so
    , hopefully one of your may know a friend of the owner. did you do this thirteen hundred worth over a period of time or all one go, if it was a once off, people may see it as a moment of not thinking properly, while over a long period, that is a different story

it was over 3 days,consecutive days,its not a private owned business,it was a multi-national company,in retail.

it was over 3 days,consecutive days,its not a private owned business,it was a multi-national company,in retail.

Don't most jobs ask if you have been convicted in the last 7-10 years? I can't imagine a theft conviction from 20+ years ago for example would cause substantial trouble provided you can prove you haven't been in trouble since.

Any Lawyers willing to pipe up on this? A multi national company is a private company generally. Unless you supply the info yourself, don't CRB checks have limitations when you factor time into the equation? 7-10 years seems appropriate.

i mean i have another 5 years in college anyways,by then it would be a time since it was committed,the type of job id like to have wouldn't necessarily need a criminal check,but having it over my head knowing it could pop up would be another issue i guess....

does anyone know how likely or is there a possibility of Ireland introducing a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act? I.E a system like the UK were convictions become spent etc...

does anyone know how likely or is there a possibility of Ireland introducing a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act? I.E a system like the UK were convictions become spent etc...

It's been on the cards for a while now, but I haven't heard much since. I will try to dig something up. It should not cause much trouble in the future, but even if it does, consider being honest or else leave the country. Immigration records might not have your entire criminal past documented following seven years or similar has passed. It's another option to consider. You didn't murder anyone here. Serious crimes would have a bigger impact on following you around etc. Simple theft is not an indicatable offence.

i know i didn't murder anyone,i know deep down I'm not a bad person,i can't deny i was hoping for a chance,so it is a little upsetting,i don't think my life is ruined or anything of the sort,i just know something like this could come back to bite me in the bottom!

i know i didn't murder anyone,i know deep down I'm not a bad person,i can't deny i was hoping for a chance,so it is a little upsetting,i don't think my life is ruined or anything of the sort,i just know something like this could come back to bite me in the bottom!

Try and talk to your solicitor about the Probation of Offenders Act. It's worth a shot, and if you can make a reasonable case(stress, single moment of madness etc) and prove that you are genuinely sorry for this mistake, I can't see them trying to put you down forever. Rehabilitation is key. Your crime isn't serious enough to not be considered for the probation Act. Look specifically at section 17(2)

http://www.probation.ie/pws/websitepublishing.nsf/attachmentsbytitle/Probation+of+Offenders+Act+1907/$file/Probation+of+Offenders+Act+1907.pdf

Seriously, get a new lawyer/solicitor and go through all your options. Even if it stands, time is the ultimate healer. Read over that first link I gave you. You can't change the past, but you can still prove your worth:)

Good luck anyhow. You can still potentially turn things around I think. You didn't commit an indictable offence. Just make sure you make the right choices from here on out.

• Advertisement

thanks again,really appreciate the kind words,nice to know there's some understanding people remaining in the world!

is it common for a solicitor to prepare his client for worst case scenario or?

i would imagine this case would be a more serious crime than mine,however he seems to be getting a chance to be left without a conviction ? :(

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/soccer-coach-had-euro35k-drugs-to-clear-debt-2887479.html

i would imagine this case would be a more serious crime than mine,however he seems to be getting a chance to be left without a conviction ? :(

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/soccer-coach-had-euro35k-drugs-to-clear-debt-2887479.html

Try and appeal under the basis of the fact your crime is less serious(not your main point though). The probation Act can at least in theory be applied after your conviction in court.

You could cite this case in an appeal. Make your case known. Best of luck.

thanks again,really appreciate the kind words,nice to know there's some understanding people remaining in the world!

is it common for a solicitor to prepare his client for worst case scenario or?

Generally speaking, as long as you are genuinely trying to improve your situation, you won't know for certain. That is what the probation Act was designed for after all. Seriously though, get talking to your solicitor. You may not have exhausted all options yet. Random internet people aren't the best when it comes to stuff like this:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

There is a Spent Convictions Bill on the Government's legislative programme. The Bill has not yet been introduced but is in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

At any stage was the possibility of an adult caution considered.

It generally applies to amounts less than €1000 but in your case where money has been repaid / is the prosecution in the public interest etc.. it may be an option, or have you been charged at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Everyone is saying is not a big deal but it is. Its theft. The op was in a position of trust and abused that position of trust to rob their employer.

If the op had walked down the street and robbed an old lady of her pension it would be seen as a dreadful crime but because its a so called "white crime" it is not a big deal ?

If you are convicted of theft you may not be able to work for any of the banks, law firms, join an accountancy body etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

have you been caught stealing before this?
    have you already gotten an adult caution???

amen wrote: »
    Everyone is saying is not a big deal but it is. Its theft. The op was in a position of trust and abused that position of trust to rob their employer.

If the op had walked down the street and robbed an old lady of her pension it would be seen as a dreadful crime but because its a so called "white crime" it is not a big deal ?

If you are convicted of theft you may not be able to work for any of the banks, law firms, join an accountancy body etc

Nobody is saying it's not a big deal. But in your example of the old lady being robbed the offender would be eligible for an adult caution even if he never returned the property. In the ops case they are slightly over the threshold for eligibility and have repaid the injured party yet they are not eligible. It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

MagicSean wrote: »
    Nobody is saying it's not a big deal. But in your example of the old lady being robbed the offender would be eligible for an adult caution even if he never returned the property. In the ops case they are slightly over the threshold for eligibility and have repaid the injured party yet they are not eligible. It's ridiculous.

my bad... somewhere while reading i never saw that the value was 1300 and then wondered why they wernt getting adult caution...

OP, you should have only took 1000... then you be safe out :)

Advertisement