Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piercing my own helix :/

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Thinking about getting my helix done. But i really dont feel like paying to get it done. I have both my ears pierced and stretched and I did it myself. I know that cartilage is a bit more risky, but can it be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Its not a good idea. You won't be able to make it fully sterile and risk infection. Also that's a very tricky place to do.

Save up and get it done. Saves you having to go to a proper piercer after you have pierced it wrong or it gets infected. Some things are worth paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Possibly one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time!!! Doing It yourself is a terrible idea because you will not be able to judge it properly and not be in a position to tell if it's going well or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Unelss you have proper equipment (gloves, piercing needles, clamps, autoclaved jewellery, sharps bin etc..) a sterile environment and know exactly what you're doing, don't do it. It's only about €15-20 max to get it done in reputable studios so get it done professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

i wish people from kk would stop posting stuff like this. Reflects badly!

i wish people from kk would stop posting stuff like this. Reflects badly!

As opposed to what you post? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

you don't complain when i post in your forum!!

you don't complain when i post in your forum!!

It's true, I do enjoy it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Bad idea OP! Just pay the few quid and have a healthy piercing or go without! Who knows what damage you could do

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

When I was drunk a year or two ago, I was talking to a girl, telling her that I wanted to get a new piercing, she asked where I wanted it done and I said my helix, she then went off to do something else. She came back a few moments later and without saying anything shoved a stud into my ear.

I took it out almost immediatly and let it heal over, I was quite lucky that I didn't get an infection (espeically as the piece of jewellery was filthy), but even though it has healed over I can actually feel the damage in my ear, it's like the cartilage around the area shattered and I can feel the individual pieces.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, shelling out the money is really a small price to pay for a piercing done competently, with clean and sterile jewellery, plus, it is less likely to cause damage to your ear that you might cause yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

CD. wrote: »
    When I was drunk a year or two ago, I was talking to a girl, telling her that I wanted to get a new piercing, she asked where I wanted it done and I said my helix, she then went off to do something else. She came back a few moments later and without saying anything shoved a stud into my ear.

I took it out almost immediatly and let it heal over, I was quite lucky that I didn't get an infection (espeically as the piece of jewellery was filthy), but even though it has healed over I can actually feel the damage in my ear, it's like the cartilage around the area shattered and I can feel the individual pieces.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, shelling out the money is really a small price to pay for a piercing done competently, with clean and sterile jewellery, plus, it is less likely to cause damage to your ear that you might cause yourself.

Surely that counts as assault???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Surely that counts as assault???
    Possibly. Didn't do anything about it.

I was drunk at the time and didn't even know how to react, left party almost immediatly. It was probably a combination of shock and drunkeness as I'm a fairly mild mannered person, even when drunk. I wasn't too concerned over it as I didn't get an infection. In retrospect I wish it hadn't happened but at the time I wasn't too particularly pushed one way or the other. She was fairly psychotic anyway and chances are good that doing anything about it would have been a giant pain, plus there is the problem of her claiming I gave consent, no reliable witnesses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

byrnea77 wrote: »
    Thinking about getting my helix done. But i really dont feel like paying to get it done. I have both my ears pierced and stretched and I did it myself. I know that cartilage is a bit more risky, but can it be done?

I echo what the other posters have said but would love pics of the play by play if you do it yourself... or a vid... ha

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ainu

I actually did this when i was about 13 and it was a pretty bad idea. I took it out again soon after cause it never really healed but i can still feel the damage i did. Lucky enough the ear still looks normal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AineThePiercer

not a good idea. risk of bleeding and infection alone should put anyone off. people has lost whole sections of ear due to infections.

Advertisement