Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tins of mackerel... what can you do with them?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I've been buying tins of mackerel for years but I've only ever eaten them straight from the tin. Is there anything interesting I can do with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mix with cream cheese, a drop of lemon and black pepper - great to spread on crackers etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

olaola wrote: »
    Mix with cream cheese, a drop of lemon and black pepper - great to spread on crackers etc!

+1

Never bought the tins. usually buy the vacuum packets - but could you make a hot salad with them:

boiled new potatoes
    spring onions
    mayonaise (optional)
    dijon mustard
    salt
    pepper
    tobasco
    smoked mackerel
    lemon juice
    olive oil
    fresh herbs

Mix all together while potatos are hot. This will warm up the mackerel. Season to taste. Serve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

sprinkle it with chili flakes or
    -black pepper & lemon
    -mango salsa. (had this in Howth, utterly yum) Salsa is dead easy to make, just chop up a few things and mix, done.

Citrus fruits work well with oily fish... might sound a bit weird, but it is worth trying out. Vit C and Omega 3 in one go - result :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Just mash it up with a bit of red sauce and put it on a piece of toast.

Advertisement