Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer games in pubs

Options
  • 05-10-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I see computer game terminals in the odd pub and they are usually raking in the money. Some pay out prizes.

what is the legal requirements for these? It seems to be a good source of revenue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You mean gambling games? Legally these are for "amusement only", unless placed in a special screened area only accessibly to over 18s. That means you can only get back what you put in. In the UK law is different I think and they can have fruit machines in pubs without the extra requirement of hiding them from kids. Note some pub owners do pay out wins to video poker players, but this is technically illegal most of the time.

If you mean old-school arcade games, these have unfortunately died off. They are actually worth quite a lot as collectors items :)

The above strict gambling laws are why you don't see fruit machines in every pub in ireland, as opposed to UK. In Ireland the money is in pool tables + jukeboxes, and there are large established operators in these fields.

Disclaimer: I used to work for one of the large operators in this area, and my dad had a business with fruit machines in the 70s+80s. They brought in the strict laws in the early 80s and nearly put us out of business, I remember our shed at home filled with one-arm bandits that had to be removed from pubs.

Note: I am unsure if legislation has changed in this area.

Advertisement