Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to move out - Help!

Options
  • 05-10-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey,i don't know if im posting in the right place but maybe someone can help me..Im in first year in college and staying in a student accommodation and have signed the lease till december..however today we were told we have to move to a different house in the student village as the landlord wants to sell the property..we were told we have to be gone from the house by friday..i wouldn't mind this but my 3 house mates are moving to different houses than me and i would like to stay with them..if anyone knows my rights or can i stay in the house it would be appreciated,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Read your lease, it should be a legally binding agreement. The terms will tell you exactly what your notice periods are; I'd imagine 3 days notice is very likely illegal. The only thing I can think of is if he has a probationary period wrote into it [is this legal/possible?] and is evicting you all on foot of it. Contact you College Welfare officer who will be able to give you free advice on all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

If you have a lease till at least December then the landlord cannot give you notice like that.(Unless like pointed out unlikely event lease has that clause in it.. which would be aganist 2004 act anyway as min notice is 28 days afaik(

Contact threshold if college is no help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'm presuming it's a Section 50 student accommodation complex. If this is the case, then you can be pretty sure that there is a clause in your tenancy agreement/lease which says that they can move you into another apartment/room for whatever reason.

As previous poster says, take a look and make sure. Did you read it before you signed it? Did you get a copy?

Advertisement