Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to remove virus I've located

• 05-10-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi guys/girls,
    I would apprieciate some help. I recently got the screen on my laptop fixed for €150, only to find that there is a few viruses still on my computer.I have been removing any uneeded/unkown programs from the computer.
    I have downloaded Microsoft Essentials for security. And when I run the scan it keeps on freezing on a particular file which I reckon is malware or the kind.
    Its c:windows/system32/imageres.dll.
    I have been looking it up and supposebly it desguises its self here. But if I can't run the scan to get rid of it.
    I know its a bit of a pain in the neck walking anybody through something like this, but any help on this problem or steps I could take to fix this would be great.
    I haven't even be able to run a full scan yet because of this.
    I am no techie either, only average techie language really so as to try get any help in "layman" terms would also be great.
    I know again this is a big ask and really apprieciate any input at all.
    Just hope this thread doesn't just die!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

imageres.dll is a Windows system file containing all the Icons Windows uses in its desktop themes. Are you sure yours has been corrupted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I think it has something to do with ownership of the files or something.

Anyways I tried to get my computer to restart in safe mode so as to run a scan which would operate without the interferance of whatever file was corrupted...
    And my screen just stayed blank when the lights came on....
    And since, I haven't been able to get the screen to work!
    I am pretty pissed after getting a guy to fix the screen and all, I tried to hook it up to my parents monitor and no dice so it isn't just the screen.
    It could possibly be the keyboard as a few keys where a bit stiff and not working the best, but its weird non the less that the screen just ceased to work since trying safe mode.
    Any advice on how to proceed from here, might just have to hand it back to the repair shop, but am pretty skint..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you said you were removing unused/unknown programmes did you use add/remove programmes from the control panel also what did you define as unknown.

If you really did not know what they were they could have been essential.

If you can not get it to boot at all then I would suggest the following:-

Create a bootable USB stick http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ is a very good tool and pretty self explanatory.

Initially add Puppy Linux and Kapersky virus scanner, you can add more later if you want to.

Boot from the USB stick your laptop might automatically boot from the USB or you might need to go into the BIOS to set the USB to the first boot device.

Run Kapersky from the menu which appears after booting. It will take some time as the first thing it does is download the latest virus databases before beginning the scan.

Next Run Puppy linux you should be able to see the hard drive copy any personal data you don't already have backed up externally to a usb stick(s).

See if the computer will now boot following the scan.

If not reinstall the OS from your original CD or from a recovery partition if there is one.

If you have neither then see if you can get a CD from a friend or colleague for the same version of the OS as on your laptop.

Reinstall from that using the key on the sticker on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paddybongo

Try Malwearbytes it works for me and has a great detection rate and has a free version jus makesure and update it first then run a full system scan and delete all it finds.

Happy Hunting.;)

Advertisement