Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation Problem

• 05-10-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi,

I ordered UPC broadband today and also their wireless modem. One question, I don't think my computer is a wireless device. I requested installation by technician. Will he be able to connect my computer to the wireless modem or do I have to buy something else for my computer/a new computer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

He should be able to connect it directly.

Normally the wireless modem would be plugged into the UPC connection point in the wall (white box where tv is connected) - so if you intend locating your pc close to that he will be able to connect it directly to the modem using either an ethernet or usb cable (which will be supplied with the modem).

If you intend locating the pc in a different part of the room further away from the UPC connection point or in another part of the house, you will need to buy a USB wireless adapter, which plugs into a USB port in your pc & enables you to connect wirelessly. You can pick one of these adapters up for under €20.

If you go onto the UPC website UPC can supply one for €15. I assume he would have one that he could supply & install & that the €15 would be added to your bill, but you may want to contact them to confirm this, or you may want to just buy one yourself - it would come with an installation disk & is easy to install on your pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Thanks Jeckle!

Advertisement