Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to stop the excuses!!

• 05-10-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Having had a bad ending to this years race season (bad back, bad eating, bad training, & bad preperation) I reckon it's time to put the past in the past & square my shoulders back lift my chin up & admit I've become lazy about the bike!!

Being too busy at work - NO EXCUSE
    Being tired from work / family - NO EXCUSE
    Not having enough time - NO EXCUSE
    Weather too bad - NO EXCUSE

Time to bite the bullet and dust off the lights & overshoes!!

As from tomorrow I will commit to cycling 3 x p/wk with one club spin at wkend.
    I will cut out sugar & junk from my diet.
    I will STOP THE EXCUSES!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

As from tomorrow I will commit to cycling 3 x p/wk with one club spin at wkend.
    I will cut out sugar & junk from my diet.
    I will STOP THE EXCUSES!!!!!!

Long finger, eh? What was wrong with today? :)

J/K, good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Hear hear. Basically the same story. Tell us how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

The Gods must hate me!!
    After getting ready yesterday to begin my commute (the weather wasn't going to stop me) I was all set - overshoes on, lights charged, bidon filled, then I realised - I'd locked my keys for my office in the feckin' shed!! tried several times to wiggle the bolt but no joy! (at least I know my bike is safe when locked away). Having to wait for my wife's car keys with the spare shed key meant I never had time to cycle in :mad:
    Just to add insult I can't cycle today either due to having to use car today to bring home a boot load of stuff from work!!
    Am not going to let rain, wind, or snow stop me going out with club tomorrow & am looking forward to getting back onto the saddle!!
    Looks like next week will have to be the biginning of my new training regime.
    To make me feel better my wife commented that - the pro's must have a break after the end of the race season. - Since iv'e not raced since the end of Aug I think I've rested enough!!!!!!!:P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Excuses, excuses, excuses ....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

Beasty, ur mean hahaha...........:P

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's Friday - my nasty streak comes out on Fridays ...:D

Only on Fridays??!! Seem to remember a 'red mist' moment on a few Wed nights!!??
    Oh yeah I forgot the club races are only on from April to Sept so you can be Mr nice guy on Weds (for now)!!;)

... did I say "only on Fridays"?:confused:

- Boards Fridays, Swords Wednesdays

Anyway, enough of these excuses - I need you to be my lead-out man next season, otherwise you'll hear some proper shouting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Best of luck with this English Bob. I am in a similar positio to yourself, in that I have taken advantage of every excuse not to go out over the past 5 months.

This week winter training started.
    Already have done 2 turbo sessions and 1*2.5 hour spin. I feel much better as a result.
    Look forward to reading your progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

The Gods must hate me!!
    After getting ready yesterday to begin my commute (the weather wasn't going to stop me) I was all set - overshoes on, lights charged, bidon filled, then I realised - I'd locked my keys for my office in the feckin' shed!! tried several times to wiggle the bolt but no joy! (at least I know my bike is safe when locked away). Having to wait for my wife's car keys with the spare shed key meant I never had time to cycle in :mad:
    Just to add insult I can't cycle today either due to having to use car today to bring home a boot load of stuff from work!!
    Am not going to let rain, wind, or snow stop me going out with club tomorrow & am looking forward to getting back onto the saddle!!
    Looks like next week will have to be the biginning of my new training regime.
    To make me feel better my wife commented that - the pro's must have a break after the end of the race season. - Since iv'e not raced since the end of Aug I think I've rested enough!!!!!!!:P

You could always get some good lights or a turbo and train in the evening :)

• Advertisement

Well that was better!!
    After getting myself organised last night I was able to get the first commute of the week started. 26k done 26k to do in 8hrs. Crappy weather but felt good to be back on the bike.
    Club spin Sat went well with no over excited sprints going off the front by the airport! Am hoping this week to get at least 200k done by end of week. Just got to try and sort eating habits out now!!:pac:

... OK, not quite a hurricane, but gusts of up to 61kph nonetheless

... and there was me expecting the "it was too windy" "and wet" "and dark" excuses - you see, it's not that bad really ;)

So far so good.
    Nearly made the excuse of not enough time after spending a little longer playing dinosuars with my little boy than meant to but skipped breakfast to make up the few mins (this was taken care of when I swallowed a juicy fly on my cycle in!!). 26k in 50mins today on commute into work (8mins quicker than Monday), hope the wind will turn later so I'll get a push home!! So far 78k done this week.
    It makes a huge diff when I've everything ready the night before re lights, clothes etc.,,. Mentally am feeling better already so hopefully the body will start reacting in kind soon!!:)

Good week last week with just under 200k cycled. Really enjoyed club spin Saturday with fairly decent pace kept throughout.
    Cycled in today and felt I was pedalling backwards at some points due to wind. Sitting in my nice warm office hearing the wind howling outside isn't making me relish the cycle home tonight but thats what cycling is. as someone once told me 'cycling will teach you how to suffer!!'.:D

... and the wind's turning - South Westerly this morning, Westerly this evening, which makes it pretty much a cross-wind going home

... no excuses though;)

Advertisement