Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe Insulation

• 05-10-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I am looking to insulate the water pipes in the attic before the winter sets in. Currently there are about 6 pipes running from the cold water tanks to various locations in the house. All of the pipes are running next to each other to the point where they enter into the internal part of the house. I was looking at getting Armiflex insulation for each of the pipes but was wondering would it be as good/better to place a roll of Rockwool (or similar) insulation over the pipes. The pipes rest on the rafters and there is insulation under the pipes so by laying insulation over the pipes they should be well covered. This would have the additional advantage of placing further insulation in the attic to keep the rooms underneath warmer.

Is there a reason why this solution wouldn't work or would I be better off with the Armiflex insulation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

imo do both, more costly but will be better in the long run.....

i dug up my heating pipes from the pumphouse to the house a few weeks ago, it had the crappy grey insulation on it and then aluminium foil thrown over it was working fine but not good enough for me....did all the pipes with armaflex and then wrapped all the pipes with the multilayer foil so hopefully there will be less oil burnt and more heat in the house...just sorry i didnt use the armaflex in the slab for the rads :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Yes insulate the pipes and then lay more insulation over them, also get a can of spray paint to show where the pipes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have similar plumbing already covered with armaflex. I've cut the insulation, and raised it above the pipes, then rolled an extra roll of rockwool along the length of the pipes. Plus I've built a "room" with 50mm insulation, around the attic tanks with a 40w bulb switched by a frost stat. No problems last winter. My neighbours filled their tanks with my garden hose.

Advertisement