Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog celibacy - is it cruel?

• 05-10-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

I'm being serious when i ask this question...

Is it cruel to keep a dog celibate?

My west highland terrier is 3 yrs old now and never been near a bitch, is this unhealthy for him, emotionally?

Should i let him off the leech and let him "sow his wild oats"..just to get it out of his system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do think that it must be stressful for a dog to be able to smell all those lovely females but not be able to touch them. However, 'sowing his wild oats' isn't the answer; neutering is. It'll take away all those pesky urges and result in a happier dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

No, if he isn't exposed to bitches in heat I don't think it would really cause him any suffering. he is presumably not neutered, you should consider doing that.

if would be extremely reckless to allow your dog to sire any pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Buy him a fleecy blanket - does the business for my dog;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No, you're just putting a human slant on it dogs don't think like we do.
    Neutering is the responsible thing to do, breeding a dog just for the sake of it isn't a good idea. That way he isn't going to try and get out after females or accidently sire pups and also if you find he tends to pee and mark the house it cuts that out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Isn't it more unfair to let him do it once and then never let him do it again??
    You can't miss what you've never had, neuter him and he will never know any different :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It would be crueler imo to let him get attacked by a bitch who doesn't want him near her? As everyone else has said neutering is the responsible thing to do and it's not cruel either, doesn't change the dogs temprement, take away his 'essense' or cause any pain or discomfort to their male owner's b@lls :pac: :pac:

Advertisement