Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG We missed Archie's birthday!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

One of the first 'bird-like' beasties.

Was it's birthday tweeted? (See what I did there? :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Rubecula wrote: »
    One of the first 'bird-like' beasties.

Was it's birthday tweeted? (See what I did there? :pac: )
    Badam-Ching!

He'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitress....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Adam Khor wrote: »

Now this would NEVER happen in my country- most people doesn´t even acknowledge Archaeopteryx's existence :(

Don't be too hard on yourself. Its the same place that gave us Cope, Marsh, Brown, etc.
    And the sacred gaurdian of evolution, Pastafarianism....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Who are the primates in the second pic? :P

Its a shame this new Archie is headless :S

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Apparently there were claims diuring the summer that Archaeopteryx was a "bird like" dinosaur and not an early bird. Now they're saying it's in fact the earliest known bird again:
    The first complete specimen of Archaeopteryx was discovered in Germany in 1861, two years after the publication of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.

It lived around 150 million years ago, had sharp teeth, three fingers with claws, a long bony tail, feathers, broad wings, could grow to about 0.5 metres in length and could fly.

This combination of avian and reptilian characteristics saw it positioned at a key spot in the branching off of birds from dinosaurs in the tree of life, and provided hard evidence to back Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection.

Since then palaeontologists have largely taken it as the starting point for bird life.

But in July, researchers led by Xing Xu at Linyi University, China, announced the unearthing of Xiaotingia zhengi, a previously unknown chicken-sized dinosaur. The group carried out a statistical analysis of its anatomical traits that placed it in a group of bird-like dinosaurs called deinonychosaurs.

Archaeopteryx was so closely related to the new arrival that the consequent tweaking of the tree of life saw it shifted into this grouping as well.

Now Dr Michael Lee of the South Australian Museum in Adelaide, Australia, has repeated the exercise using the same technique, known as phylogenetic analysis, only this time applying a more sophisticated statistical method.

Instead of considering all anatomical traits he examined as equally informative, Dr Lee placed greater weight on slow-evolving characteristics, in order to minimise the effect of biological traits that evolve independently in unrelated lineages.

"When we did this for Archaeopteryx we found this pulled it away from dinosaurs such as Velociraptor and nestled it back with the birds," said Dr Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I guess at the end of the day, it all depends on what one understands by "bird".

I still think its more closely related to raptors, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lob him in with the long suffering Caudipteryx and call him a 'dino-bird'. End debate.

Advertisement