Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Eircom Phonewatch to having alarm text/ ring my own mobile

Options
  • 05-10-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    I am long time reader on boards.ie but my first post.
    i have hkc secure watch alarm (eircom phonewatch) installed since 2007 or 08. Since then i have been paying nthe yearly monitoring/ service fee but as its over €300 i've decided to cancel it (sorry didn't do it sooner).
    I have a GSM dialler in my attic and i also have the engineers code.
    i also have another box on wall in utility room think this is control centre.

What i want to do now is to put a pre pay sim card into the GSM dialler and have the dialler to ring/ text few numbers if the alarm goes off etc. is this a big job? Can i do it myself or would it be best to get someone alarm installer to do it for me?
    For starters to open the GSM unit in attic it is tamper proof so if anyone opens it it sets alarm off so this would need to be deactivated first. And also the numbers need to be added somewhere so the alarm now texts/ rings correct numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi all,
    I am long time reader on boards.ie but my first post.
    i have hkc secure watch alarm (eircom phonewatch) installed since 2007 or 08. Since then i have been paying nthe yearly monitoring/ service fee but as its over €300 i've decided to cancel it (sorry didn't do it sooner).
    I have a GSM dialler in my attic and i also have the engineers code.
    i also have another box on wall in utility room think this is control centre.

What i want to do now is to put a pre pay sim card into the GSM dialler and have the dialler to ring/ text few numbers if the alarm goes off etc. is this a big job? Can i do it myself or would it be best to get someone alarm installer to do it for me?
    For starters to open the GSM unit in attic it is tamper proof so if anyone opens it it sets alarm off so this would need to be deactivated first. And also the numbers need to be added somewhere so the alarm now texts/ rings correct numbers.

All depends on the GSM that is installed. If it is the jandele or the new world it wont work. Some lucky houses have the HKC GSM installed so with a bit of tinkering it can be set up to work. If you can post a picture of the GSM more than happy to tell you what one you have installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

You don't have to buy a sim card for it. I assume you have a landline that you used for the phonewatch? It will text you from that number.

Pop the engineers code into you alarm keypanel, the tamper switsh is deactivated when the alarm is in engineer mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coffeebreak

thanks
    will post these pictures tomorrow-

You don't have to buy a sim card for it. I assume you have a landline that you used for the phonewatch? It will text you from that number.

Pop the engineers code into you alarm keypanel, the tamper switsh is deactivated when the alarm is in engineer mode.

If he is using a GSM he would.

thanks
    will post these pictures tomorrow-

Do, more than happy to tell you how to get it up and running if it is the HKC GSM.

• Advertisement

no i don't have a landline- it is all done via GSM- as far as i know their is a sim card in the unit in the attic that texts eircom phonewatch when the alarm is activated- once i cancelled the eircom contract they cancelled that mobile number (as they were paying the bill for that mobile no.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Ok, you will need a sim card so.

The phone numbers are programmed in via the keypad in the engineers menu, its not hard at all.

Here are pictures of my alarm and gsm unit-

any advice if/ how this can be programmed to notify my number when alarm is activated?
    P1010864.JPG

P1010867.JPG

Can you open the GSM and take a picture of inside it. The alarm will activate but putting in your code will silence it. It does look like they used a HKC power supply and fitted a GSM dialer inside but to be sure which one I will need to see inside on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sillywilly99

Guys
    I'm in the same boat.
    We have a HKC and a GSM dialler.
    Assuming that I replace the expired meteor SIM how can I get it to dial my mobile if the alarm goes off?

I dont have the engineers code.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

Guys
    I'm in the same boat.
    We have a HKC and a GSM dialler.
    Assuming that I replace the expired meteor SIM how can I get it to dial my mobile if the alarm goes off?

I dont have the engineers code.

Many thanks

If you have the same GSM as is above then it is just a power supply with a standard GSM installed. This will not work to allow you self monitor the alarm system. You would need the proper GSM from HKC to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sillywilly99

So basically the GSM system left by Phonewatch is useless - unless we sign up with them again? :confused:

So basically the GSM system left by Phonewatch is useless - unless we sign up with them again? :confused:

Yes. An option if you don't have a phone line and want to use the GSM is to install a standard voice dialer and let it make the call through the GSM when the alarm is triggered.

Advertisement