Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next dog to be added to the RB list

• 05-10-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

So lets call a spade a spade, the only reason there is a RB list is because there are idiots that are either unwilling or unable to look after strong dogs and scumbags who get them to look tough. I live very close to an area that is mostly council houses and though I come from one myself it is more than clear that the flavour of the month of this sector of society is the dog most likely to be on this list.

Staffs and Bull Breeds in general are not as common nowadays with this crowd, nor are the other dogs on the list, the one I am seeing countless times now are Siberian Huskeys and Mastiffs (especially the Dogue de Bordeaux).

This is the Dogue de Bordeaux btw
    DogueDeBordeauxRoxyReese2.jpg

So are these dogs going to get the stigma of "Devil Dog" next

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I thought sibes were the 'flavour of the month' myself, they are decimating sheep all over the country.

<ETA> Sorry, I just saw you said Sibes, didn't see it first time! I'm pretty sure there was no basis at all for drawing up the RB list, how many Rhodesian Ridgebacks or Japanese Tosa's were in the country at the time? A handful owned by showing fraternity I'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I would assume it is based on other countries lists.

It is always the dogs of choice of scumbags and having seen several different sibes in the last month in the small area I am in with said type of owners, I just know they are going to get the bad press and within no time at all, a place on the RB list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I watched a programme not so long ago called 'My Dog is my Weapon' it was based in London, the dog of choice was the Staffie after the Pit Bull had been banned however it finished by showing drug dealers new dog of choice which was indeed the Dogue de Bordeaux and despite never having met a bad temper Dogue de Bordeaux the dogs these drug dealers had were scary, the power these dogs had made the little Staffies look like pussy cats :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Siberian huskies are not scumbags dogs. Where i live a good few people (middle class) have them. They are so cute an fluffy.

Siberian huskies are not scumbags dogs. Where i live a good few people (middle class) have them. They are so cute an fluffy.

Tell that to the people in the local council estate who have them "cos they look like a bleedin' wolf man"

Staffs are lovely sweet natured family pets, public image due to scumbags say otherwise.

I adore Sibes, but they are now the dog that these people are buying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I was charged by a dogue de bordeaux in Templeogue while out jogging last year, scary bloody creature. Had to stand my ground for quite some times before I was able to slowly move out of his 'zone'. Not a fun experience, I can tell you. Very muscular loud dog, had I been a less experienced dog person or he decided to make a go of his charge, I was toast.
    I could easily see these dogs end up in the wrong hands. But the RB list is such a load of nonsense that I would NEVER support it in a million years. GSD? Dobermans? Staffies? some of the most mild mannered dogs I've ever met in my life, on a list because of how they look? Poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I thought sibes were the 'flavour of the month' myself, they are decimating sheep all over the country.

Could you please put a link up to the proof of that very strong statement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I'd love to see actual facts to back up adrenalinjunkie's "opinion"/hyperbole. So as was more common in the good old days around this site when wild claims were made, links/reports/concrete supportive facts, not your opinion based on hearsay please or GTFO. The oft handwringing around here with regards to the RB list hardly needs more fuel to the fire.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Everyone here on boards knows what complete BS the RB list is, or at least most of us do anyway..

If the Dogue de Bordeaux got added to it, I think this would really show what nonsense the list really is!! Ive said it before in a different thread, I meet a guy who owns 2 of this breed and also a Rhodesian Ridgeback.. When I meet other people out there on my walk in the same park they often ask did I see the fella with the 3 big brown dogs... Not a notion of what breed either of them are..

In my opinion its a complete lack of education and a misunderstanding of breeds that led to the RB list being drafted up.

(I can only imagine the usual verbal warfare that will break out within this thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

one of my westies was attacked by two dogs de bordeux about two years ago - they are very large and very powerful dogs. Thankfully she recovered. The other dogs were both on leads (as was mine) but the lady walking them just couldnt control them.

i am certainly not 'demonising' the breed and i think the RB list is a nonsense - any dog can be aggressive if not cared for or trained properly and often putting a dog on the RB list can only make it more attractive to the scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

lrushe wrote: »
    I watched a programme not so long ago called 'My Dog is my Weapon' it was based in London, the dog of choice was the Staffie after the Pit Bull had been banned however it finished by showing drug dealers new dog of choice which was indeed the Dogue de Bordeaux and despite never having met a bad temper Dogue de Bordeaux the dogs these drug dealers had were scary, the power these dogs had made the little Staffies look like pussy cats :eek:

I watched that programme, it sickened me.

My friends had a Dog De Bordeaux (or a French Mastiff as they're also called) and he was the literally like a giant baby, they had their first child, then their second and he would just stand there whilst they ran under his legs, cuddled him, he would take bits of food they fed him so gently, he was such a sweetheart, the snores of him would vibrate the whole house. Sadly he had so many illnesses and physical problems, skin, hips, eyes, you name, he died when he was only about 7 or 8, my friend told me that their vets even wrote an article about him in their in-house magazine as the dog who had the most medical conditions of all the pets in their practice!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

dogue de bordeux can be a very very dangerous dog in the wrong hands but overall with a good owner they are sweethearts.
    im getting one of these so called dangerous dogs on saturday, a bull terrier. i no that when im out walking with it people are going to judge me for having it but hopefully people will come around to how much of a playfull clown this dog really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

dogue de bordeux can be a very very dangerous dog in the wrong hands

And thats the problem. We don't need restrictions on the various breeds of dog we need restrictions on the idiots who are allowed to own them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

dogue de bordeux can be a very very dangerous dog in the wrong hands but overall with a good owner they are sweethearts.
    im getting one of these so called dangerous dogs on saturday, a bull terrier. i no that when im out walking with it people are going to judge me for having it but hopefully people will come around to how much of a playfull clown this dog really is.

i meet a bull terrier on my walk everyday - he is a dote and my two love playing with him - 'clown' is a very apt description!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

And thats the problem. We don't need restrictions on the various breeds of dog we need restrictions on the idiots who are allowed to own them.

Couldn't have said it better!
    You should have to sit a theorey test or get a license to keep dogs in my opinion.... As an owner of two GSD's and a husky, all who are brought to obedience classes twice a week, Im a firm believer that its not the dog, its how they are handled and reared!

How many times have my big dogs been snapped at by a Jack Russell though and not batted an eyelid?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

I was stopped the other day and was told that I shouldn't have my dog in the country as he is "illegal"
    I have a Great Dane. I rolled my Eyes and told the person in question to invest in a clue.

My brother owned a staffy. He was such a brute. He was terrified of butterflies and loved knitting yarn.

I was stopped the other day and was told that I shouldn't have my dog in the country as he is "illegal"
    I have a Great Dane. I rolled my Eyes and told the person in question to invest in a clue.

My brother owned a staffy. He was such a brute. He was terrified of butterflies and loved knitting yarn.
    I have heard it all now!!!! GD's illegal!:rolleyes:

Snip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Master and Commander--no need for that language.
    Consider this a warning.

OK, sorry mod.

I'm just saying that bringing in a training program or some other more stringent license system for dog owners is a waste of time. It will not improve the situation or reduce the number of irresponsible owners. This is becasue such irresponsible individuals will never have any intention of getting a license. A lisence is already required but the irresponsible folk don't get it becasue they do not care.
    More regulation and red tape will only serve to further inconvenience responsible dog owners plus it will cost more money to implement and run.

We would be fine if the existing laws were enforced properly. However i also think there needs to be a deterrent to being an irresponsible owner. this can be achived by having a no tolerance policy whereby if you are found to not have a dog liscense or your dog is roaming unsupervised, it can immediatly be siezed and destroyed by the guardai/dog warden.

In addition it would also be beneficial to introduce a licesnse for horses, this would allow the "feral horse" problem around the country to be dealt with swiftly and reduce the risks posed by semi-abandoned horses. The responsible owners will have no problem complying but those who cannot be bothered will have their animals siezed on the spot should it be found they are either unliscensed or roaming/unsupervised in a public place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

OK, sorry mod.

We would be fine if the existing laws were enforced properly. However i also think there needs to be a deterrent to being an irresponsible owner. this can be achived by having a no tolerance policy whereby if you are found to not have a dog liscense or your dog is roaming unsupervised, it can immediatly be siezed and destroyed by the guardai/dog warden.

Yes while putting a particular breed on the RB list because of irresponsible owners is a rediculous idea, at least it enables park wardens/gardai to approach these irresponsible owners and enforce the law. The only thing that will be achieved by having the above no tolerance policy is the dog pays with his life! The owner is responsible for the licence and supervision, its not the dogs fault the owner fails his responsibility to his dog. Not to mention what would happen to a stray under your no tolerance policy. A no tolerance policy to being an irresponsible owner, with punishment for the owner and not the dog then maybe we would all be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No matter how many dogs are on the RB list some scumbags are just going to keep getting different dogs it's not going to stop because the whole dog licence system is a joke. We have weak laws in this country and the few that are there aren't enforced enough especially with people who really shouldn't be allowed within a mile of any animal.

Other countries have managed have a good system going..saying that all countries will have some issues being human and all..we can here if the gov. would get the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Like op iv noticed a huge increase in the amount of DDB pups being paraded around. Defo the new in dog and it makes me sick thinking about the number of these dogs that are going to need rescue / rehoming in the next few years. If it's so hard to rehome staffys who are 1/3 the size and traditionally family orientated dogs and many of them amazing with children what chance to the DDB's have!?! And if they do get added to the rb list ... !! Scary to think about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

seen one of these dogs in st annes park on saturday, my god its a beautiful dog and they look incredibly powerful. i fell in love with her, my gf had to drag me away from the ddb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Tell that to the people in the local council estate who have them "cos they look like a bleedin' wolf man"

Staffs are lovely sweet natured family pets, public image due to scumbags say otherwise.

I adore Sibes, but they are now the dog that these people are buying!

They are very foolish alright.

Sibes are beautiful but they are not big dogs at all, I have seen a rise in there popularity and can't see why.

Breed standard is 23" inches tall and 25kg, that's just medium sized.

If they want a big wolf dog, they have the wrong dog.

Scumbags buy them and are gutted to find out they are not big wolf type dogs and are actually fairly scrawny and incredibly timid towards people.

Thank god they don't know the dogs playing wolves in the movies are actually Alaskan Malamutes, not Sibes.

If they did we might have a problem;)

Some Malamutes are huge and are a little more aggressive towards people, I have never seen a human aggressive Sibe.They seem to be very friendly and playful, class breed imo.

Akitas are getting pretty poplular with scumbags as well, an other fantastic breed getting a bad name.

I do hope Sibes don't go on the list.

Advertisement