Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow you've added a link to some critic's piece on the internet, like that proves anything!!

It doesnt matter what you say or do, my opinion is mine own and it wont be changed! The fact is they havent been funny since the old days and for a short while with horse outside but there is only so long you can flog a dead donkey so to speak.

Looking forward to your reply already!

The fact that you don t understand the significance of being number one comedy act to go see in Time Out London this week says more than anything I could possibly say to be honest. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If I can just make a point. Achieving fame, is a multi dimensional process, by which I mean you have local fame, regional fame, national fame and international fame (international fame is extremely difficult to attain), the higher up the ladder you go the more divided the opinion becomes at the bottom of the ladder (the local rung). Remember the Cranberries, they really split opinion and still do despite the fact these guys were selling out stadiums all over Europe/US/Latin America. Frank McCourt had a similar experience.

I don't like these guys they do nothing for me, but I wish them all the best.

What we all should note though is YET again this small city of ours has produced talent worthy of an international stage...there is not another city or region of comparable population (including all Dublin suburbs)that comes near us for that consistency...

And yet half the country is of the opinion that we are uncultured!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What we all should note though is YET again this small city of ours has produced talent worthy of an international stage...there is not another city or region of comparable population (including all Dublin suburbs)that comes near us for that consistency...

And yet half the country is of the opinion that we are uncultured!

Nail on head. Galway, for the so called Arts capital of Ireland, has produced f*ckall. Bunch of posers is all they are up there. The last decent band to come from Galway?

Before you lose the run of yourself with the "no other city...." , Oxford, which is roughly the same size has given us Radiohead, Ride, Swervedriver, Foals, Stornoway, and Supergrass. Not bad eh?

But you do have a point from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Spastic Hawk is the best thing rubberbandits have ever done, it's on another level to any of their other songs/music videos, and that's coming from someone who likes a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Watching this thread for the last week or two..funny stuff. Reading it though you;d think the bandits have conquered London and are a box office smash. But looking at the Soho theatres website..it holds 140 people which is probably about half the size of Dolans. In the context of a city with 8 million people and a met area of about 13 million people its hardly box office gold just yet. They are up and coming for sure but lets not overstate it.

• Advertisement

Everyone needs to chill out, and go rub a dog.

Is this a rubberbandits reference? Not funny. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

vkid wrote: »
    Watching this thread for the last week or two..funny stuff. Reading it though you;d think the bandits have conquered London and are a box office smash. But looking at the Soho theatres website..it holds 140 people which is probably about half the size of Dolans. In the context of a city with 8 million people and a met area of about 13 million people its hardly box office gold just yet. They are up and coming for sure but lets not overstate it.

Finally, someone with a bit of cop on!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Finally, someone with a bit of cop on!

How does such a ridiculous statement constitute cop on, please explain

seachto7 wrote: »
    Nail on head. Galway, for the so called Arts capital of Ireland, has produced f*ckall. Bunch of posers is all they are up there. The last decent band to come from Galway?

Before you lose the run of yourself with the "no other city...." , Oxford, which is roughly the same size has given us Radiohead, Ride, Swervedriver, Foals, Stornoway, and Supergrass. Not bad eh?

But you do have a point from an Irish perspective.

Limerick has excelled in both Sport and the Arts no question and although I don t feel the need to defend everything that comes out of here as a Limerick man I'm definitely proud of our impressive heritage and have no problem quoting our successes especially when confronted by those from else where in Ireland that can t get beyond the stab city bunch of knackers image we ve been unfairly labled with. Toasted heretic were a good band from galway and some of Adrian Crowleys work is up there with the best writing around at the moment but I see your point.

Who s been overstating anything. I guess the reason they have to do 22 shows is because the venue has a 140 capacity. There are calculators online if you d like to do the maths.

And speaking of this thread being 'funny stuff' I must say I had a chuckle at this quote from you from 2011 that I found [see below] when I went back over looking for the laughs you spoke of. Funny stuff indeed.

'they should do something else. The Bandits are done..yawn ';)

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Limerick has excelled in both Sport and the Arts no question and although I don t feel the need to defend everything that comes out of here as a Limerick man I'm definitely proud of our impressive heritage and have no problem quoting our successes especially when confronted by those from else where in Ireland that can t get beyond the stab city bunch of knackers image we ve been unfairly labled with. Toasted heretic were a good band from galway and some of Adrian Crowleys work is up there with the best writing around at the moment but I see your point.

Limerick's had a lot more come out of it artistically than Galway as far as I can see. But I'm sure someone will come along and pull me on it. :(

Who s been overstating anything. I guess the reason they have to do 22 shows is because the venue has a 140 capacity. There are calculators online if you d like to do the maths.

And speaking of this thread being 'funny stuff' I must say I had a chuckle at this quote from you from 2011 that I found [see below] when I went back over looking for the laughs you spoke of. Funny stuff indeed.

'they should do something else. The Bandits are done..yawn ';)

I dont need a calculator to do the maths. In the grand scheme of things, they have a long way to go..Its definitely not the sort of numbers for you to be dragging up peoples posts from yesteryear in a "look at them now" sort of fashion as you are doing on this thread all week.

AS for my comments on this thread previously..seeing as you are sad enough to trawl through 3 years of posts..i really don't find the bandits that funny.. I wouldn't consider them a music act at all but whatever does it for you. However I do think they are clever...and have said that here before. They have a market, I'm just not sure its as big as you think it is.

You obviously will defend them because they are your friends or whatever but I think you are massively premature with your current campaign but sure work away.. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

I dont need a calculator to do the maths. In the grand scheme of things, they have a long way to go..Its definitely not the sort of numbers for you to be dragging up peoples posts from yesteryear in a "look at them now" sort of fashion as you are doing on this thread all week.

AS for my comments on this thread previously..seeing as you are sad enough to trawl through 3 years of posts..i really don't find the bandits that funny.. I wouldn't consider them a music act at all but whatever does it for you. However I do think they are clever...and have said that here before. They have a market, I'm just not sure its as big as you think it is.

You obviously will defend them because they are your friends or whatever but I think you are massively premature with your current campaign but sure work away.. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.

I didn t have to trawl through any posts I just clicked on each page to see if you d commented about them on this thread previously cos I was curious 13 clicks of the mouse bout 20 seconds of research and I saw that you d written them off in 2011 so **** it you said it not me so I just reminded you. And as is apparent they haven t gone away at all in fact they re doing really well.

I ve no idea how big their market s going to be either nor have I said look at them now all week, nor is this a campaign, when I read something that I think is unfair I say so and express it, no campaign, just 5 minutes of writing but Ill tell you when you say you do not consider them a music act, then I m left wondering what the **** am I arguing with...not liking their music is fine but denying them the status of a musical act altogether just means you are actually mad. eek.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

can I say piece of crap

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

can I say piece of crap

What's a piece of crap? Your post makes no sense.

I
    .not liking their music is fine but denying them the status of a musical act altogether just means you are actually mad. eek.png

well each to their own. I see them as a comedy act, nothing more , nothing less.
    would I buy their cd..no.
    Would I listen to their tunes or album in the same way as I might listen to Pink Floyd or Kodaline or the cranberries or 2Pac or whoever..no.
    Would I listen to them on an ipod or in the car or on my stereo ...no
    Would I go see them live..well I have done actually..and still see them as a comedy act

Your obviously a big fan and best of luck to you, but not everyone sees them in the same way

well each to their own. I see them as a comedy act, nothing more , nothing less.
    would I buy their cd..no.
    Would I listen to their tunes or album in the same way as I might listen to Pink Floyd or Kodaline or the cranberries or 2Pac or whoever..no.
    Would I listen to them on an ipod or in the car or on my stereo ...no
    Would I go see them live..well I have done actually..and still see them as a comedy act

Your obviously a big fan and best of luck to you, but not everyone sees them in the same way

What are the criteria for a band to be a musical act in your opinion genuinely curious to know. I don t mean music you like but a musical act in general whether you like them or not.

Again, I wouldn't be a fan of theirs, but that's not the first time the Guardian have given them good reviews. They're doing something right anyhow.

I would like to know are they making a decent wage out of it all? As in, can they live comfortably for the year. Maybe Dannyriver could fill me on this one, obviously without giving me the fine details. Decent coverage in the UK, lots of gigs. The million dollar question every musician or act will want to ask is "will I make a wage of this?"

• Advertisement

Again, I wouldn't be a fan of theirs, but that's not the first time the Guardian have given them good reviews. They're doing something right anyhow.

I would like to know are they making a decent wage out of it all? As in, can they live comfortably for the year. Maybe Dannyriver could fill me on this one, obviously without giving me the fine details. Decent coverage in the UK, lots of gigs. The million dollar question every musician or act will want to ask is "will I make a wage of this?"

I don t know seachto what anyone is or isn t earning is none of my business Im interested in their art and where its taken them. I find their story fascinating, from prank calls in a schoolyard to Edinburgh awards, and selling out shows in the west end. No record company support all through word of mouth and social media.Only the most troubled wouldn t marvel at what they ve achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

as far as i know they've adopted the "Queen" (as in the band) ethos and the rubber bandits is a handy nixer for them.....like the way brian may has his trade to "fall back on"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

as far as i know they've adopted the "Queen" (as in the band) ethos and the rubber bandits is a handy nixer for them.....like the way brian may has his trade to "fall back on"

Not many people know this, but the Rubberbandits are actually Thomas Bangalter and and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo. They do the whole "Limerick" thing largely for the craic, and Ralf Hütter is their illegitimate father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not many people know this, but the Rubberbandits are actually Thomas Bangalter and and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo. They do the whole "Limerick" thing largely for the craic, and Ralf Hütter is their illegitimate father.

Sounds daft to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

maguic24 wrote: »
    Sounds daft to me.

Indeed, Punk! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jimgoose wrote: »
    that's not true about ralph

As in, do they have to work other jobs, or are they making enough to live off with the 'bandits thing?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They're back. NSFW. Very NSFW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That's just thick.

Advertisement