Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Macavity. wrote: »
    Who else's opinion would it be? Do you think I post on behalf of someone else or something? :confused:

You stated they were talentless as some kind of fact, now get to work on your Gabriel Byrne puppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The rubberbandits are the best thing to come out of this country for years...was watching a clip of Russell brand and blind boy ....brand was out of his depth and resorted to making silly noises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I didn t say you should like it, I just pointed out that Stephen Fry and Russel Brand took the time out to tweet about the Bandits...some going for 2 local boys who some people on here see as talentless chancers.. surely you ll agree that much ....you can like whatever you want that s your own business.

Good for the bandits, and good for Fry and Brand. Plenty of "celebs" tweet about bands they are into, who I might think are utter ****, but that's just my opinion, and like everything on here, it's just individual opinions.

I think the problem in Limerick, is you are not allowed criticise of have an opinion on something or someone that might be seen as negative. Or else it is seen as jealousy and bitterness. Much like having a cut off the city, you daren't say a bad thing about it, or else you are contributing to the national media kicking the city. Even if it's just your opinion!

You will find, throughout this thread, nobody has wished them ill, or anything of the sort. People like stuff. People don't like stuff. Like goes on.

The rubberbandits are the best thing to come out of this country for years...was watching a clip of Russell brand and blind boy ....brand was out of his depth and resorted to making silly noises

Again, it depends on what you define as the "best". I'm sure others will say Windings or Hermitage Green are the best thing to come out of Limerick?

Others might say the Cranberries are the best thing to come out of Limerick, seeing as they were able to put their money where their mouths were and cracked America as well as selling over 40 million albums worldwide.

But again, it depends on what you define as "best". I know folk who idolise Metallica and think they are the "best". I don't, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

seachto7 wrote: »
    Again, it depends on what you define as the "best". I'm sure others will say Windings or Hermitage Green are the best thing to come out of Limerick?

Others might say the Cranberries are the best thing to come out of Limerick, seeing as they were able to put their money where their mouths were and cracked America as well as selling over 40 million albums worldwide.

But again, it depends on what you define as "best". I know folk who idolise Metallica and think they are the "best". I don't, but that's just me. :rolleyes:
    metallica are american

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

metallica are american

tumblr_mt6nqeVewc1qzt7d8o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dannyriver2

Good for the bandits, and good for Fry and Brand. Plenty of "celebs" tweet about bands they are into, who I might think are utter ****, but that's just my opinion, and like everything on here, it's just individual opinions.

I think the problem in Limerick, is you are not allowed criticise of have an opinion on something or someone that might be seen as negative. Or else it is seen as jealousy and bitterness. Much like having a cut off the city, you daren't say a bad thing about it, or else you are contributing to the national media kicking the city. Even if it's just your opinion!

You will find, throughout this thread, nobody has wished them ill, or anything of the sort. People like stuff. People don't like stuff. Like goes on.

Plenty of "celebs" tweet about bands they are into, who I might think are utter ****,

Stephen Fry, Dara O Brian, Graham Linehan or Russel Brand aren t 'celebs' they are successful artists who have achieved celebrity status through their art, bit like the bandits.

plus Who are the plenty of celebs you re talking about that are doing all the tweeting?

Plenty of "celebs" tweet about bands they are into, who I might think are utter ****,

Stephen Fry, Dara O Brian, Graham Linehan or Russel Brand aren t 'celebs' they are successful artists who have achieved celebrity status through their art, bit like the bandits.

plus Who are the plenty of celebs you re talking about that are doing all the tweeting?

Just because Brand, O Briain, and Linehan tweet, we all have to nod the head and agree? I couldn't care less if God tweeted about the bandits. They're not my cup of tea, and I won't put up with a lecture from their fans either about why I'm wrong and why I should like them.

I would give any release by the bandits attention but nothing has floated my boat since the horse outside. To me, they seemed to go in a certain direction that I didn't find funny anymore. A lot of people do, a lot of people don't. Woop dee doo.
    I don't need to go on twitter to find out what the celebs and famous people are listening to. I'm able to make up my own mind and find my own way.
    I'm sure Russel Brand tweets about skinny jeans and vests all the time too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Seriously, a celebrity tweet is and should be a measure of absolutely nothing.. Comedy, art music or anything else. I don't care who the celebrity is. Make up your own mind and don't use a bloody tweet from some celebrity to influence you or anyone else..

The cult of celebrities drives me mad sad state of affairs people using bloody celeb tweets In a discussion..like it means absolutely anything.

People like what they like..a tweet from a self important celeb won't, nor should it change that opinion

Just because Brand, O Briain, and Linehan tweet, we all have to nod the head and agree? I couldn't care less if God tweeted about the bandits. They're not my cup of tea, and I won't put up with a lecture from their fans either about why I'm wrong and why I should like them.

I would give any release by the bandits attention but nothing has floated my boat since the horse outside. To me, they seemed to go in a certain direction that I didn't find funny anymore. A lot of people do, a lot of people don't. Woop dee doo.
    I don't need to go on twitter to find out what the celebs and famous people are listening to. I'm able to make up my own mind and find my own way.
    I'm sure Russel Brand tweets about skinny jeans and vests all the time too..

We ve established that they re not your cup of tea as I ve said numerous times that s your own business but being tweeted by very successful credible artists in a similar discipline simply is a big deal whether you want to admit it or not...

you ve mentioned at some stage that you re a musician right? [if not apologies but if you re not imagine that you were] Now, lets just say you put a song out and threw it up on you tube...for arguments sake lets say you and your band were influenced by the Smiths and within 3 days Johnny Marr tweeted that he thought what you and your band was doing was excellent and he gives you his seal of approval, would you turn to your band as they were jumping around the room delighted with themselves and 'say I couldn't care less if God tweeted about us... 'celeb' tweets are a load of bollix' or would you be thrilled as well and go '**** me that s amazing'

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    Seriously, a celebrity tweet is and should be a measure of absolutely nothing.. Comedy, art music or anything else. I don't care who the celebrity is. Make up your own mind and don't use a bloody tweet from some celebrity to influence you or anyone else..

The cult of celebrities drives me mad sad state of affairs people using bloody celeb tweets In a discussion..like it means absolutely anything.

People like what they like..a tweet from a self important celeb won't, nor should it change that opinion

No one for a second is saying that a tweet from a celeb should change anyone's mind ffs but it might tempt you to check them out No? Although maybe not you in fact Id say it would be impossible to influence you vKid you re so single minded and independent. Your mind must be a veritable fortress bit like David Carridine in the Kung fu series.

We ve established that they re not your cup of tea as I ve said numerous times that s your own business but being tweeted by very successful credible artists in a similar discipline simply is a big deal whether you want to admit it or not...

you ve mentioned at some stage that you re a musician right? [if not apologies but if you re not imagine that you were] Now, lets just say you put a song out and threw it up on you tube...for arguments sake lets say you and your band were influenced by the Smiths and within 3 days Johnny Marr tweeted that he thought what you and your band was doing was excellent and he gives you his seal of approval, would you turn to your band as they were jumping around the room delighted with themselves and 'say I couldn't care less if God tweeted about us... 'celeb' tweets are a load of bollix' or would you be thrilled as well and go '**** me that s amazing'

I would be delighted if I were in a band, and got a retweet, but a retweet would want to turn into record sales, air play, good gigs, $$$ etc.
    I've had plenty of people I don't know say "wow, that's great" in different musical things I've been involved in, but it means nought. It's just an opinion.
    I've had plenty say I'm ****e as well, and that's fine too.
    But maybe I'm just way too cynical. I often feel it's like a woman saying: "You're such a nice guy, and I'm sure any girl would be happy to be with you (but not me)"

Now if Russell Brand personally pulled some strokes for the bandits to get into the states etc, then I'd say something...

Tis neither here nor there. I don't even know why I contributed to this thread again, seeing as I'm not a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

No one for a second is saying that a tweet from a celeb should change anyone's mind ffs but it might tempt you to check them out No? Although maybe not you in fact Id say it would be impossible to influence you vKid you re so single minded and independent. Your mind must be a veritable fortress bit like David Carridine in the Kung fu series.

Well to be fair Danny, you brought the celebs into this when people said they didn't find the RB's funny. I and others have checked them out already, so not sure why you mentioned the tweets at all , apart from some effort to show us that the bandits are funny, because Russell Brand says so?

"Successful comedians like Stephen Fry and Russel Brand are keen to differ with you there vkid, but then what would they know about comedy?"

I don't believe I know you either, so would prefer less of the comments on my character tbh.

vkid wrote: »
    Well to be fair Danny, you brought the celebs into this when people said they didn't find the RB's funny. I and others have checked them out already, so not sure why you mentioned the tweets at all , apart from some effort to show us that the bandits are funny, because Russell Brand says so?

"Successful comedians like Stephen Fry and Russel Brand are keen to differ with you there vkid, but then what would they know about comedy?"

I don't believe I know you either, so would prefer less of the comments on my character tbh.

See my reply to seachto7 for my reasons for mentioning other credible/successful comedians tweeting about the Bandits, kind of obvious I should think that my mentioning them wasn t so you and others would check them out or that I expect you to think they are funny because Russel Brand says so. Apologies if I offended you by implying that your mind is an impenetrable fortress like David Carridine in kung fu it was out of line seen as I don t know you and I wont mention it again.

When Celebs tweet about bands it is vital that you all ignore them.......

however i love the bandits...

When Celebs tweet about bands it is vital that you all ignore them.......

however i love the bandits...

yeah I got you but in keeping with my previous Smiths analogy 'some tweets are bigger than others'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

There are, but I'm trying to figure it out! Just not getting their stuff since Horse Outside, but each to their own. Even as songs, as opposed to comedy, I'm not getting it, but then again, it's not really the type of music that I'm into, so no matter who it was, I'd never quite latch on to it.

I get the odd auld retweet off them anyhow ;)

I still think Willie O'Dea was their high point to date. For me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For me, their LiveLine cameo was one of the finest moments in the history of Irish radio. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

There are, but I'm trying to figure it out! Just not getting their stuff since Horse Outside, but each to their own. Even as songs, as opposed to comedy, I'm not getting it, but then again, it's not really the type of music that I'm into, so no matter who it was, I'd never quite latch on to it.

I get the odd auld retweet off them anyhow ;)

I still think Willie O'Dea was their high point to date. For me.

I'll never understand people arguing over why someone should have the same opinion as them. It's good that you don't get them rather than blindly agreeing with the tweets from famous people. Having said that the rubberbandits are as relevant as they ever have been. They've done the big popular chart song, very politically driven stuff, bullying, homophobia/sexuality, racism, and all of it is wrapped up in an easy to swallow comedy pill that breaks the ice and more importantly removed the solemnity surrounding the debate on certain topics.

They're more than comedians or performers and they shouldn't (and aren't letting themselves) be pigeon holed into one of those

I'm quite a big fan of them, I've seen them perform music gigs a few times, then in more comedy settings, and in a more lecture-like setting recently with blindboy's talk for city of culture in Limerick. And they've always been entertaining to me.

But it's ok that you don't get them or enjoy them, it would be strange if everyone shared the same view as me on them as it would end up in a never ending orgy involving drugs and jazz

• Advertisement

I'll always give them a chance! They still have time to redeem themselves!

I'll always give them a chance! They still have time to redeem themselves!

Hi again have they redeemed themselves yet by the way

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Hi again have they redeemed themselves yet by the way

I don't know. I missed their 1916 show, but always did like their "in the RA" tune, and how they were able to take the pi55 out of the types of RA supporters who can never seem to take any kind of joke in life. Ever.

Saw them at the Picnic, and while they drew a large crowd, I thought they were good, not brilliant, but I would put that down to me, not them.

Though the song about going to Amsterdam with their dads friend was disturbing as much as it was funny, and the trendy festival goers with their kids quickly exited the tent! :)

I suppose I don't get the direction they went in recently, but will give them a chance.

I don't know how much more mileage they can get out of it. It's not like they have anything to prove at this stage, and yes, under their own aliases on FB, they are well able to do their own talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I don't know. I missed their 1916 show, but always did like their "in the RA" tune, and how they were able to take the pi55 out of the types of RA supporters who can never seem to take any kind of joke in life. Ever.

Saw them at the Picnic, and while they drew a large crowd, I thought they were good, not brilliant, but I would put that down to me, not them.

Though the song about going to Amsterdam with their dads friend was disturbing as much as it was funny, and the trendy festival goers with their kids quickly exited the tent! :)

I suppose I don't get the direction they went in recently, but will give them a chance.

I don't know how much more mileage they can get out of it. It's not like they have anything to prove at this stage, and yes, under their own aliases on FB, they are well able to do their own talking.

Watch the 1916 programme and then come back to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

provide evidence

Hang on there and I'll call the lads and ask them to set up boards profiles so they can share their opinion here. Lol

Look I know you are a big fan and that's fine. I just said I find them preachy as of late and said I am not the only one. Its something I've talked about with my group of friends (some of which both know and have worked with the lads) and they made the same observation.

Done worry about it, plenty of people still like them. Personally I find their act a bit stale these days and had to stop following them online as their schtick got annoying. But good luck to them all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Please don't attach the poster and try to post in a way that encourages discussion rather than just bickering

Sorry man I was only ribbing you. I still find the pomposity of your 'they've time to redeem themselves yet' comment hilarious and I couldn't resist asking you had they succeeded yet. I'm not sure you re ever going to appreciate what they do, as you said its not your thing and you don't fully understand them, I'm the same about Metallica, but when I see footage of their gigs and 100 000 people mouthing word for word, I have huge respect for their ability to connect with people through their art, but I have to concede I just don't get it so if you ask me to review a metalica album you re asking the wrong man.

However this 'how much more mileage they can get out of it' nonsense is suggesting that they are one dimensional somewhat and Ill have to pull you up on that. 'More mileage out of what? ' exactly , art, music , comedy, film, which are you referring to ? because the Bandits are one of the few acts around that participate in all of the above or maybe as you ve alluded to earlier just like me and metalica I'm asking the wrong man.

Red King wrote: »
    They've become awful preachy on social media.

'Preachy' is a very vague word to be throwing at someone, can you be more specific or at least define what you mean by 'preachy'

Dannyriver wrote: »
    'Preachy' is a very vague word to be throwing at someone, can you be more specific or at least define what you mean by 'preachy'
    They have regard for human rights and looking after the down trodden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

They are two comedians/entertainers with plastic bags on their heads.

I'm not that interested in hearing them pontificating on social issues.

See Graham Linehan, Russell Brand etc two of the most odious examples of the above

Advertisement