Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Red King wrote: »
    They are two comedians/entertainers with plastic bags on their heads.

I'm not that interested in hearing them pontificating on social issues.

See Graham Linehan, Russell Brand etc two of the most odious examples of the above

They are two comedians/entertainers with plastic bags on their heads. I'm not Interested in hearing them pontificating on social issues.

Should comedians/entertainers not be allowed have an opinion, who says? You? I don't understand this bit...Maybe I'm old school but I wish there were more entertainers with the intelligence to put forward an opinion on social issues, you re certainly not going to get them from Ed Sheeran or One Direction now are you ? I'm a big Frank Zappa/Neil Young/Ice T/Spike Milligan fan artists who were always articulate and forthcoming on social issues,[In the case of Neil Young/Ice T still are] so I encourage that kind of thing, it gives me further context to their work.

I'm not that interested in hearing them pontificating on social issues.

That s fine dude, there are loads of things I'm not interested in but I don't for a second feel the need to tell people about it...Is there anything else you re not interested in that you'd like to tell us about?

Finally , to pontificate means to express an opinion in a pompous manner, I follow the Bandits on Social media and I think their opinions are always expressed intelligently and with humour, can you give me an example of when they expressed them in a pompous fashion?

See Graham Linehan, Russell Brand etc two of the most odious examples of the above

Russell Brand can be a bit excitable alright but lots of recovering addicts [particularly Heroin] get extremely passionate about the causes they take up, Brand is no different but he's always extremely humane and exposes lots of hipocracy that young British people would normally have no access to so that s a good thing in my opinion. As for Graham Linehan he wrote Father Ted for **** sake he can say what he wants.

And in fairness, 'odious' that s a bit harsh don't you think? You d want to have a good chat with yourself if you find a total stranger can upset you to the point that you find them repulsive, unless of course you find what they are saying repulsive, but from my knowledge no one you ve mentioned above is talking hatred or spewing bile in the way say Donald Trump is. Again I might have missed something so if you have examples to correct me please share them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Sorry man I was only ribbing you. I still find the pomposity of your 'they've time to redeem themselves yet' comment hilarious and I couldn't resist asking you had they succeeded yet. I'm not sure you re ever going to appreciate what they do, as you said its not your thing and you don't fully understand them, I'm the same about Metallica, but when I see footage of their gigs and 100 000 people mouthing word for word, I have huge respect for their ability to connect with people through their art, but I have to concede I just don't get it so if you ask me to review a metalica album you re asking the wrong man.

However this 'how much more mileage they can get out of it' nonsense is suggesting that they are one dimensional somewhat and Ill have to pull you up on that. 'More mileage out of what? ' exactly , art, music , comedy, film, which are you referring to ? because the Bandits are one of the few acts around that participate in all of the above or maybe as you ve alluded to earlier just like me and metalica I'm asking the wrong man.

You're saying I don't understand the Bandits? Am I thick or something? :)
    But yeah, like you and Metallica...

More mileage? Two lads with plastic bags on their heads. They've gotten this far. Heck, there are people who have been in their videos still trying to flog the fact that they appeared in their videos!

I appreciate some of their stuff, but not all of it. They have time to redeem themselves: to me. That's just my opinion.

I would put the same mileage question to Metallica. How long more can wealthy men in their 50s get out of playing angry thrash metal?

Blind boy is on the Late Late tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Seems like all I do is post in bold at the moment.

Folks, if you want to have a go at each other, use PM, if you do it on thread mods might have to take action.

seachto7 wrote: »
    You're saying I don't understand the Bandits? Am I thick or something? :)
    But yeah, like you and Metallica...

More mileage? Two lads with plastic bags on their heads. They've gotten this far. Heck, there are people who have been in their videos still trying to flog the fact that they appeared in their videos!

I appreciate some of their stuff, but not all of it. They have time to redeem themselves: to me. That's just my opinion.

I would put the same mileage question to Metallica. How long more can wealthy men in their 50s get out of playing angry thrash metal?

Two lads with plastic bags on their heads.

You are in excellent company Seachto as that gripe seems to be the only one that the conservative late late show viewers used to have a go at Blindboy on the late late last night. 'A guy with a plastic bag on his head discussing 1916 on the late late show..a disgrace' Bullys since time memorial pick on peoples appearance.... its the cheap shot of the dull.

Just for your info costumes have been used by artists for centuries, the use of masks go back to Greek civilisation. What the bandits are doing is a continuation of that tradition. Mind you If they were just 2 lads with bags on their head and nothing else you might have a point but they have a critically acclaimed large body of work behind them and have got to where they are without record company or management.

As for mileage go back over your posts about them as you ve been saying it since 2012... you need to quantify your predictions a bit more specifically or you ll begin to sound foolish. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Edit: Nevermind not worth it.

Edit: Nevermind not worth it.

What's not worth it ? I'm assuming you mean the strength of your argument, as I'd imagine if you d a point to make worth its salt you d have gladly made it no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

You moderators are very patient :D

I only clicked on Rubber bandits after seeing there excellent Late Late show interview where they comment on todays youth.

Rubberbandits star Blindboy Boatclub made a serious impression on the Late Late Show this week – with fans calling for the comedian to be Ireland’s next president.
    The Limerick man was on the show as apart of a panel to discuss the 1916 commemorations this year, and Blindboy completely stole the show.
    Speaking about how his “generation” felt about 1916 he said: “My generation can’t afford to buy a house, can’t afford to have a baby.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

What's not worth it ? I'm assuming you mean the strength of your argument, as I'd imagine if you d a point to make worth its salt you d have gladly made it no?

You assume too much. Given someone couldn't handle my criticism the last time and got overly sensitive and needlessly aggressive I've decided it isn't worth my time or effort to participate in this thread any longer. I hope for the Rubberbandits sake they have thicker skins than their "fans".

Good luck to them.

You assume too much. Given someone couldn't handle my criticism the last time and got overly sensitive and needlessly aggressive I've decided it isn't worth my time or effort to participate in this thread any longer. I hope for the Rubberbandits sake they have thicker skins than their "fans".

Good luck to them.

I'm only hopping a ball with you relax fella.

• Advertisement

Two lads with plastic bags on their heads.

You are in excellent company Seachto as that gripe seems to be the only one that the conservative late late show viewers used to have a go at Blindboy on the late late last night. 'A guy with a plastic bag on his head discussing 1916 on the late late show..a disgrace' Bullys since time memorial pick on peoples appearance.... its the cheap shot of the dull.

Just for your info costumes have been used by artists for centuries, the use of masks go back to Greek civilisation. What the bandits are doing is a continuation of that tradition. Mind you If they were just 2 lads with bags on their head and nothing else you might have a point but they have a critically acclaimed large body of work behind them and have got to where they are without record company or management.

As for mileage go back over your posts about them as you ve been saying it since 2012... you need to quantify your predictions a bit more specifically or you ll begin to sound foolish. :)

I didn't mention anything about the Late Late show bucko, so don't assume I was one of those giving out about him on it. I thought he made some good points on the Late Late show as well, so again it's best not to assume anything before you go on the attack.

I also see you brought your fanboy posts over to the television forum as well.

I also don't need a lecture from you on costumes or the history of them.

You can't seem to take or accept any criticism of your idols. It's good to see that the bandits have thicker skin than yourself.

You also seem to be sneering at everyone else on this thread who doesn't buy into them 100%, and seem to want to lecture us or talk down to us dumb folk on what we're missing out on.

And it is a valid question. How much mileage can two lads get talking in Limerick city accents with plastic bags on their heads?

If they're still at it when they're 60, well and good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've only seen the first ten minutes of the 1916 show so far but it is excellent so far,

Seachto, I don't think they will still be wearing the plastic bags at 60 but I get a feeling they (or at least one of them) will still be relevant in some way, I reckon they are as sharp as anything working in comedy right now.

Oh, they're sharp alright. But I'm talking as the Rubberbandits characters.

I don't see why he couldn't have appeared as himself on the LLS the other night and make the same points. "Here is the man behind one of the bandits, and this is his take on it." I suppose not revealing identities kind of has the same thing Slipknot had going on for years which was clever too.

All it was missing was Weenz in the crowd saying "I can't get a job" in character.

It would be kind of like Pat Shortt on the LLS show dressed up as one of his characters talking about depression or unemployment.

Talking about serious issues in character. I dunno. It doesn't take away from the point they're making, and the fact they're making valid points in character. There could be something in that too.

No doubt Dannyriver will be on to put me straight and educate me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Good points seachto, I've only glanced at the past few pages so I'm not quite sure what the argument is about. All I want to add is that I have been consistently impressed with their comedy and the one (it is only one of them I think??) who is vocal on politics and social issues seems to be a very smart and eloquent guy who could go far in whatever field he chooses.

I didn't mention anything about the Late Late show bucko, so don't assume I was one of those giving out about him on it. I thought he made some good points on the Late Late show as well, so again it's best not to assume anything before you go on the attack.

I also don't need a lecture from you on costumes or the history of them.

You can't seem to take or accept any criticism of your idols. It's good to see that the bandits have thicker skin than yourself.

You also seem to be sneering at everyone else on this thread who doesn't buy into them 100%, and seem to want to lecture us or talk down to us dumb folk on what we're missing out on.

And it is a valid question. How much mileage can two lads get talking in Limerick city accents with plastic bags on their heads?

If they're still at it when they're 60, well and good for them.

I didn't mention anything about the Late Late show bucko,

Read my post again I didn t say you did. Apologies if you feel I'm lecturing you , If you make a point it's just an opinion but If I challenge it it's lecturing...How does that work ?

I did indeed, that s ok with you yeah?

Oh, they're sharp alright. But I'm talking as the Rubberbandits characters.

I don't see why he couldn't have appeared as himself on the LLS the other night and make the same points. "Here is the man behind one of the bandits, and this is his take on it." I suppose not revealing identities kind of has the same thing Slipknot had going on for years which was clever too.

All it was missing was Weenz in the crowd saying "I can't get a job" in character.

It would be kind of like Pat Shortt on the LLS show dressed up as one of his characters talking about depression or unemployment.

Talking about serious issues in character. I dunno. It doesn't take away from the point they're making, and the fact they're making valid points in character. There could be something in that too.

No doubt Dannyriver will be on to put me straight and educate me though.

I don't see why he couldn't have appeared as himself on the LLS the other night

At your service Seachto because he wants to remain anonymous and doesn't want the buzz and hassle of being famous, I thought this might have been obvious at this stage. Let me know if there is any other aspect of their act that you feel they could/should improve on who knows they might actually ask you in as adviser or something.

They're too clever for RTE and Tubs.
    It would be interesting to see if someday they thought "ok what else could we try" if they were to branch out into different areas/characters.
    I'm surprised RTE didn't get Panti Bliss on for his/her opinion on 1916 seeing as we have to suffer him/her for everything else these days.
    If they went into the world of podcasts , now that would be good.
    I think they could risk being "their normal selves" at this stage. They've built up a name and owe nought to nobody.

They're too clever for RTE and Tubs.
    It would be interesting to see if someday they thought "ok what else could we try" if they were to branch out into different areas/characters.
    I'm surprised RTE didn't get Panti Bliss on for his/her opinion on 1916 seeing as we have to suffer him/her for everything else these days.
    If they went into the world of podcasts , now that would be good.
    I think they could risk being "their normal selves" at this stage. They've built up a name and owe nought to nobody.

They ve done many characters, eg larry star, flaps charlton, Coot Mattews, Liam Flag, Joyce and Becket in the 1916 documentary
    I think they could risk being "their normal selves" at this stage.

They want to remain anonymous, as Blind boy said many times 'I doesn't want to be recognized when I'm buying vegetables in aldi'

Ok. Fair enough about not wanting to be recognised.

What if it was Dustin the Turkey or Bosco on the LLS the other night. Or Ali G on talking about depression? Or The Viper talking about youth suicide.

Is the perception there that it's the character's opinion or the actor behind the character, which it obviously is with the Rubberbandits.

It's appealing to a certain age group or a certain generation for sure, but there are as many people who would be "what the f*ck?" as there would be "good on ya!"

I suppose that's not up to the Bandits to worry about that.

If they appeared on tv in or out of character, I'd take their opinions on board either way.

Edit: Just got around to watching the guide to 1916. Enjoyed it. I'd prefer to some of the other tv stuff they did for sure.

What if it was Dustin the Turkey or Bosco on the LLS the other night. Or Ali G on talking about depression? Or The Viper talking about youth suicide.

Is the perception there that it's the character's opinion or the actor behind the character, which it obviously is with the Rubberbandits.

It's appealing to a certain age group or a certain generation for sure, but there are as many people who would be "what the f*ck?" as there would be "good on ya!"

If they appeared on tv in or out of character, I'd take their opinions on board either way.

Edit: Just got around to watching the guide to 1916. Enjoyed it. I'd prefer to some of the other tv stuff they did for sure.

Any body with an open mind would be appealed and interested in the juxtaposition, the online response by those of all ages confirms this. Professional cranks like the likes of Niall Boylan and the lads in the IONA institute are the only ones that seem to have a problem with it. Screaming disrespectful from the rooftops. It's like the reaction to the psisto;s being on Bill Grundy all over again. I ve noticed that anyone with an ounce of creativity in them has applauded them for not giving in and keeping the bags on.

Just got around to watching the guide to 1916. Enjoyed it. I'd prefer to some of the other tv stuff they did for sure

Is it possible for you to just give them a compliment without a sting in the tail?

• Advertisement

You write that like it's a rhetorical statement like it would be a ludicrous or bad thing...Give me your reasons why when you get the chance, I'm at a loss as to where you are coming from. I d love to see all Dustin or Ali G speak on these subjects in or out of character, they are very important issues that the governments don't want to know about in case people associate their polices of inequality and despair among the population. The incongruity of either of them tackling these issues would only serve to bring further attention to these subjects as Blindboy so cleverly achieved on the Late Late.

Advertisement