Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hightower1 wrote: »
    No, he is right. Its just not funny and the generall public will agree also via youtube views / sales numbers.

They were a novilty band from day 1, I went blue in the face from telling people this to be met with "nah, their the best thing from Limerick EVER" and now I'll laugh as I see the fall of yet another of these ****e novilty bands (this one made even more irritating by the bloody accent).

Hopefully they will drag out the denial that its over by splitting up and trying to release songs seperatly.
    ok you must be in the rubberbandits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

hightower1 wrote: »
    No, he is right. Its just not funny and the generall public will agree also via youtube views / sales numbers.

They were a novilty band from day 1, I went blue in the face from telling people this to be met with "nah, their the best thing from Limerick EVER" and now I'll laugh as I see the fall of yet another of these ****e novilty bands (this one made even more irritating by the bloody accent).

Hopefully they will drag out the denial that its over by splitting up and trying to release songs seperatly.

Oh man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

leakyboots wrote: »
    Stop trying to convince yourself. It's a poor effort from guys who can do better, novelty comedy acts only last so long - best get out while they can. As I said on here before, the "we're knackers" joke will only get them so far.

However, one caveat - I know they filmed a video in Nancys only in the last week or so, presumably not this one, so maybe this is an intentional wind-up before a 'proper' song. But I doubt it.

First and foremost what the **** is a 'proper song' ? Sticking your phrase in parentheses doesn't legitimise the statement. The rubberbandits have always been more than 'we re knackers' Spastic Hawk is a wonderful piece of music, that is so unlike anything else out there it s throwing people a wobble. You included. If you don t mind me saying but you sound like those older hill billy s giving out about rock music in some of the grainy footage when Elvis first came out. Seriously.

Cracked. Too many gee is unreal but this song is positively shocking. Like being "out there" is one thing but this doesn't even resemble music....

Its reminscient of Flight of the Conchords. The first series was filled with the hilarious songs that they had been writing for years. In the second series, they had to throw together songs in a couple of months and it shows, the same as the rubberbandits.

Maybe they should branch out into sketch comedy or something....

It's not like flight of the conchords, that s akin to saying all rap music is the same, or all punk music is the same etc.Rubberbandits have never been about 'hillarious songs', Spastic hawk isn't meant to be hillarious..do you really think they re trying to be 'hilarious' here. Come on to ****

Kess73 wrote: »
    A pisstake/novelty/ironic song can still have a catchy tune to it. This song does not, so on that level it is shyte for me.

Horse Outside had rubbish lyrics but was catchy and stuck in the head, so they can write catchy songs.

But as crap as I think the new song is, I hope it sells well for them as they are pretty likeable guys irl.

It's not a piss take. If LCD sound system had released it you d have bothered to look for something else in there for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Cracked. Too many gee is unreal but this song is positively shocking. Like being "out there" is one thing but this doesn't even resemble music....

Its reminscient of Flight of the Conchords. The first series was filled with the hilarious songs that they had been writing for years. In the second series, they had to throw together songs in a couple of months and it shows, the same as the rubberbandits.

Maybe they should branch out into sketch comedy or something....

It's not like flight of the conchords, that s akin to saying all rap music is the same, or all punk music is the same etc.Rubberbandits have never been about 'hillarious songs', Spastic hawk isn't meant to be hillarious..do you really think they re trying to be 'hilarious' here. Come on to ****
    They have always been about hilarious songs, ever since a bag of glue came out, ever since they recorded that cd full of peaks which were hilarious, thats what they should go back to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's not a piss take. If LCD sound system had released it you d have bothered to look for something else in there for sure.

If LCD soundsystem had reformed to release it, then I would not even have given it the listen that I did. :D

I simply think it is a rubbish song regardless of whether it is meant to be a pisstake, a parody, a message about bullying, a love song, or whatever other tags a person decides to associate with it.

You think it is a wonderful piece of music, and I think it is utter rubbish. No big deal at the end of the day, just two people having differing opinions about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

Actually, it's slightly different than other R.B. songs - kind of "new dimension and direction" for them. And I can accept this new look, sounds interesting.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If LCD soundsystem had reformed to release it, then I would not even have given it the listen that I did. :D

I simply think it is a rubbish song regardless of whether it is meant to be a pisstake, a parody, a message about bullying, a love song, or whatever other tags a person decides to associate with it.

You think it is a wonderful piece of music, and I think it is utter rubbish. No big deal at the end of the day, just two people having differing opinions about something.

And long may diversity of opinion continue...at the end of the day the need for such notions is what makes us all the same ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They are falling between 2 stools. They can't be a "serious" band, as nobody wants that........They are and always will be a novelty act..........
    Make hay while the sun shines lads though..........

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    They are falling between 2 stools. They can't be a "serious" band, as nobody wants that........They are and always will be a novelty act..........

They can be what ever they want obviously ...and which nobody are you representing.

I don;t think they are for you..

Mc Love wrote: »
    They have always been about hilarious songs, ever since a bag of glue came out, ever since they recorded that cd full of peaks which were hilarious, thats what they should go back to
    but they are going forward....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They can be what ever they want obviously ...and which nobody are you representing.

I bet they can't be unicorns.

Also, speaking of representing, what exactly is your connection to the 'bandits?

Also, speaking of representing, what exactly is your connection to the 'bandits?
    of course they can be unicorns

Massive fan who grew up in the same neighborhood as the lads and spent many a long Limerick evening enjoying their company. Any one who knew the lads back then also knew they were destined for greatness. I joined the forum for the sole purpose of arguing their case. And I wouldn t rule out their ability to be unicorns either.:)

Indeed they can be what they want, but they made their name with the likes of horse outside and bag of glue, willie o dea, which I think are great.
    I don't think this one is a patch on the older stuff. If you took away the lyrics for Spastic Hawk, you would be left with a pretty decent tune, that could be a good "normal" song.
    I just think the lyrics have none of the Limerick slang etc. It's just guys trying to sing a humorous song in Limerick accents. Whether it's an attempt to appeal to a wider audience outside of Ireland is not for me to say, but that's what it looks like.....

Indeed they can be what they want, but they made their name with the likes of horse outside and bag of glue, willie o dea, which I think are great.
    I don't think this one is a patch on the older stuff. If you took away the lyrics for Spastic Hawk, you would be left with a pretty decent tune, that could be a good "normal" song.
    I just think the lyrics have none of the Limerick slang etc. It's just guys trying to sing a humorous song in Limerick accents. Whether it's an attempt to appeal to a wider audience outside of Ireland is not for me to say, but that's what it looks like.....
    Who cares about making a name? they do what they want to do, which is admirable....it's impossible to stay within the confines you are describing and not appear "forced" ...
    In my opinion the best thing they have done is Double Dropping with eamon dev...and it's not particularly funny ...it's just a work of genius...

It is my opinion that the rb's have created their own world just like the mighty boosh did when they were good, and because it's their world, they can do what they like in it, and who are you to advise them otherwise..if they took your advice they "would" be a parody or novelty act...which they are clearly not..

@Ash.J.Williams , They are a parody/novelty act. There's nothing wrong with that, but how could you possibly think they are "serious" artists??? They obviously take what they do very seriously, but it's novelty/comedy music....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Some of the nuthugging on here is embarrassing.

They are nice lads and I wish them all the success in the world but I think some people are just deluding themselves about this new song with the "it's crap but it's supposed to be crap so it's still cool" attitude.

• Advertisement

They can, but the public will have the final say on that.......

They can, but the public will have the final say on that.......

If you don t mind me saying I think you are getting the meanings of the words novelty act and comedy act mixed up. They are clearly not a novelty act for novelty has the implication that the appeal of the artist has short shelf life which you will agree can t be said of the bandits at this late stage. They are a comedy act where the music is equally as important as the lyrics that s what makes them very unique. And if you google some of the reviews on spastic hawk and the comments under the you tube video you ll find that, after the initial 'this is ****' on their facebook page [which from what I can see came from the younger Horse outside fans who want more of the Horse outside and Bag Of Glue stuff and who perhaps find the more complex spastic hawk difficult] punters and critics who are more open to allowing the band express themselves as they feel are now calling it some of their best work, which in my opinion it is.

They seriously f**ked up last Xmas not releasing an album. Maybe they just didn't expect it to take off like it did, but they could have sold A LOT of albums last Christmas.
    I am of the opinion, that yes, they have a short shelf life in the grand scheme of things. I know they were around for years, but it was very "underground" and local, then the Horse Outside brought "local" humour to a wide audience. Bag of Glue, Willie O Dea etc, are great, but can they repeat what they did with Horse Outside? Who knows, but the last few releases would suggest it's not the case. This one won't, that's for sure. I just don't find it funny, but just my 2 cents as the yanks say...
    Anyone can post yuotube comments saying they're great, and anyone can create a persona of a reviewer online and say how great it is, happens all the time...
    How is Spastic Hawk complex? It might be to a 12 year old, but it's probably mainly 12 year olds who bought Horse Outside. I'm sure a lot of those 12 year olds would like something along the lines of that again, but 12 year olds are like sheep.
    If the bandits want to be serious, why do it with plastic bag on your head? Take off the bags, and do some serious stuff, they could win a whole new fan base. As it is, they're flogging a dead horse, no pun intended........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

If you don t mind me saying I think you are getting the meanings of the words novelty act and comedy act mixed up. They are clearly not a novelty act for novelty has the implication that the appeal of the artist has short shelf life which you will agree can t be said of the bandits at this late stage. They are a comedy act where the music is equally as important as the lyrics that s what makes them very unique. And if you google some of the reviews on spastic hawk and the comments under the you tube video you ll find that, after the initial 'this is ****' on their facebook page [which from what I can see came from the younger Horse outside fans who want more of the Horse outside and Bag Of Glue stuff and who perhaps find the more complex spastic hawk difficult] punters and critics who are more open to allowing the band express themselves as they feel are now calling it some of their best work, which in my opinion it is.

Ar you on about the plastic bag heads or take that:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you don t mind me saying I think you are getting the meanings of the words novelty act and comedy act mixed up. They are clearly not a novelty act for novelty has the implication that the appeal of the artist has short shelf life which you will agree can t be said of the bandits at this late stage. They are a comedy act where the music is equally as important as the lyrics that s what makes them very unique.

That's a good point, actually.

In this case i think you could add "video" to the list..the pop up book in spastic hawk is very clever in itself!

@Dannyriver. You said it: "They are a comedy act where the music is equally as important as the lyrics that s what makes them very unique."

I suppose I am confusing comedy act and novelty act. It would be fair to say they are a comedy act who write novelty songs perhaps? Defo a comedy act. I do think that this stuff, like any band, is in danger of a short shelf life.

That's what's great about Bag of Glue, Horse Outside etc. Unique lyrics with Limerick humour. There is none of that in Spastic Hawk. The tune itself is decent enough I think, but it's just lyrics sang in a Limerick accent that I don't find funny. It just comes across as a move to cater for an international audience, nothing wrong with that of course. On that subject, what happened their accents? They used to be able to do good Limerick scumbag accents. They come across as very watered down these days??? What happened with the offensive lyrics?? It's like once upon a time, they were "underground" so could say what they wanted, such as riding fat birds and the likes....

@Dannyriver. You said it: "They are a comedy act where the music is equally as important as the lyrics that s what makes them very unique."

I suppose I am confusing comedy act and novelty act. It would be fair to say they are a comedy act who write novelty songs perhaps? Defo a comedy act. I do think that this stuff, like any band, is in danger of a short shelf life.

That's what's great about Bag of Glue, Horse Outside etc. Unique lyrics with Limerick humour. There is none of that in Spastic Hawk. The tune itself is decent enough I think, but it's just lyrics sang in a Limerick accent that I don't find funny. It just comes across as a move to cater for an international audience, nothing wrong with that of course. On that subject, what happened their accents? They used to be able to do good Limerick scumbag accents. They come across as very watered down these days??? What happened with the offensive lyrics?? It's like once upon a time, they were "underground" so could say what they wanted, such as riding fat birds and the likes....
    you're starting to sound like George Hook now, who knows what's next for the bandits, maybe this is a phase, maybe they'l soak your panties with another "novelty" song, maybe their next album will lay the foundation for Limerick black metal...for now i'm going to enjoy spastic hawk..because i happen to like songs with the word "hawkery" in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The Rubberbandits seem to be pleasing themselves, doing what they find funny and worthwhile. They have not sold out, they are not rehashing their previous success, they are not trying to meet people's expectations and for that I admire and applaud them.

They have created a truly zany and funny world and it is up to them what happens in it.

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    The Rubberbandits seem to be pleasing themselves, doing what they find funny and worthwhile. They have not sold out, they are not rehashing their previous success, they are not trying to meet people's expectations and for that I admire and applaud them.

They have created a truly zany and funny world and it is up to them what happens in it.

.......and I wish them all the best.:):)

Advertisement