Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

seachto7 wrote: »
    They seriously f**ked up last Xmas not releasing an album. Maybe they just didn't expect it to take off like it did, but they could have sold A LOT of albums last Christmas.
    I am of the opinion, that yes, they have a short shelf life in the grand scheme of things. I know they were around for years, but it was very "underground" and local, then the Horse Outside brought "local" humour to a wide audience. Bag of Glue, Willie O Dea etc, are great, but can they repeat what they did with Horse Outside? Who knows, but the last few releases would suggest it's not the case. This one won't, that's for sure. I just don't find it funny, but just my 2 cents as the yanks say...
    Anyone can post yuotube comments saying they're great, and anyone can create a persona of a reviewer online and say how great it is, happens all the time...
    How is Spastic Hawk complex? It might be to a 12 year old, but it's probably mainly 12 year olds who bought Horse Outside. I'm sure a lot of those 12 year olds would like something along the lines of that again, but 12 year olds are like sheep.
    If the bandits want to be serious, why do it with plastic bag on your head? Take off the bags, and do some serious stuff, they could win a whole new fan base. As it is, they're flogging a dead horse, no pun intended........

Musically spastic Hawk is extremely complex, lyrically and visually they've created a little piece of art [the book for example is their own work I can assure you as both are serious visual artists and painters] that speaks to the diserning viewer in a way that is much more than it seems at face value. Are you familiar with the likes of David Bowie in his Ziggy period, Korn, Kiss, Lady Gaga, and countless other acts all of whom would be considered serious artists who have utilised theatrics and visual art as part of the act. And if you stepped back from the obvious for a second you would realise that the release of spastic Hawk was perhaps to lose the Horse Outside image and alienate those that keep coming back for more of same so they can build from a more realistic fan base. When an act has a massive hit it can often destroy them and the bandits would be very aware of that. Finally you do know that they have just shot a mini series for Channel 4 due to be aired before Christmas shot with Declan Lowney and the Father Ted Crew which includes more new tracks {I wouldn t be surprised if there s more mainstream stuff in there]and they are also set to release their debut album. In other words they are in a far stronger place now with a possible UK market beckoning than they were this time last year. To release an album last christmas as you suggest and cash in on Horse outside wouldn't have been as smart as you think, sometimes the obvious is not the best approach. PS Do you honestly think the lads thought spastic Hawk was going to be a hit...considering for starters the title itself would insist it never got played on the radio. I respect you have your opinion on the matter but the lads are very smart and all the suggestions you ve made would have been looked at and discarded as not the right thing to do after all they re looking at the process 24/7. The lads are very bright and would have gotten advice from those [if you don't mind me saying] in the business who actually know what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Musically spastic Hawk is extremely complex, lyrically and visually they've created a little piece of art [the book for example is their own work I can assure you as both are serious visual artists and painters] that speaks to the diserning viewer in a way that is much more than it seems at face value. Are you familiar with the likes of David Bowie in his Ziggy period, Korn, Kiss, Lady Gaga, and countless other acts all of whom would be considered serious artists who have utilised theatrics and visual art as part of the act. And if you stepped back from the obvious for a second you would realise that the release of spastic Hawk was perhaps to lose the Horse Outside image and alienate those that keep coming back for more of same so they can build from a more realistic fan base. When an act has a massive hit it can often destroy them and the bandits would be very aware of that. Finally you do know that they have just shot a mini series for Channel 4 due to be aired before Christmas shot with Declan Lowney and the Father Ted Crew which includes more new tracks {I wouldn t be surprised if there s more mainstream stuff in there]and they are also set to release their debut album. In other words they are in a far stronger place now with a possible UK market beckoning than they were this time last year. To release an album last christmas as you suggest and cash in on Horse outside wouldn't have been as smart as you think, sometimes the obvious is not the best approach. PS Do you honestly think the lads thought spastic Hawk was going to be a hit...considering for starters the title itself would insist it never got played on the radio. I respect you have your opinion on the matter but the lads are very smart and all the suggestions you ve made would have been looked at and discarded as not the right thing to do after all they re looking at the process 24/7. The lads are very bright and would have gotten advice from those [if you don't mind me saying] in the business who actually know what they are talking about.

Well, what are they? Are they a "serious" act or a "comedy" act? The public have a perception of them since the Horse Outside, and whether they like it or not, the public are the ones who count. They can fire away releasing "serious" music. It may work, but it may not, hard to say.....

I am very aware of their backgrounds, what they do outside of music, and who they are, etc. etc, who manages them etc. etc.

I am also aware of the C4 programme etc.

That's why I think Spastic Hawk was specifically written to appeal to a UK audience for example. Again, from a business sense, nothing wrong with it. A dog with a mallet in his @rse would have released an album at Christmas or after Christmas. As it happened, the hysteria died down. They couldn't have bought the publicity they got last year, and fair enough, they gigged the @rse out of it, but could have made hay with an album...why gig if you have nothing to promote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oh Jesus H Christ - comparing the RubberBandits with Bowie, Kiss, Korn, Gaga...Danny mate you are having a laugh!

Rubberbandits arent serious music artists. They are more like serious comedy act.

As for you saying they are going in a new direction, and alienating their fans, surely is going to backfire as these are the fans that got the bandits where they are today. The people that kept coming back for more of the same is what has made them so successful.

But I have lost my respect for them after their gig in July that was moved to Dolans, and I bet a lot of others have lost their respect for them that weekend. They kept their "fans" waiting for three hours and even moved the time they were meant to be on also, and when they came on, they werent great and didnt play that long.

Not really surprised they didnt sell out that gig.

Mc Love wrote: »

which is why selling an album this year would have been financially good. Is the joke over in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

which is why selling an album this year would have been financially good. Is the joke over in Ireland?
    Some artists don't care about finance

• Advertisement

Clearly they do - thats why they moved their gig to Dolans!

Oh Jesus H Christ - comparing the RubberBandits with Bowie, Kiss, Korn, Gaga...Danny mate you are having a laugh!

Rubberbandits arent serious music artists. They are more like serious comedy act.

As for you saying they are going in a new direction, and alienating their fans, surely is going to backfire as these are the fans that got the bandits where they are today. The people that kept coming back for more of the same is what has made them so successful.

But I have lost my respect for them after their gig in July that was moved to Dolans, and I bet a lot of others have lost their respect for them that weekend. They kept their "fans" waiting for three hours and even moved the time they were meant to be on also, and when they came on, they werent great and didnt play that long.

The fact that you read from my comment that I compared them with Bowie Korn etc speaks volumes dont you think. Go back and read it again. They re doing a sold out show in the olympia tomorrow night, the only Limerick band who have ever done it...ever.
    :)

Clearly they do - thats why they moved their gig to Dolans!

Clearly you know nothing about that pig and porter fiasco or else someone lied to you.

Some artists don't care about finance

You hear this line trotted out so many bloody times, and it's cliched at this stage. Every artist cares about finance at some stage, or else they are content to live being broke and struggling........

I know their management sure as hell cares about finance, and nothing wrong with that either of course, I just laugh at "we're doing it for the art maaaannnn". Ok, if so, don't bother doing the channel 4 thing or the MTV thing, just stay at home and do the prank calls............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You hear this line trotted out so many bloody times, and it's cliched at this stage. Every artist cares about finance at some stage, or else they are content to live being broke and struggling........

I know their management sure as hell cares about finance, and nothing wrong with that either of course, I just laugh at "we're doing it for the art maaaannnn". Ok, if so, don't bother doing the channel 4 thing or the MTV thing, just stay at home and do the prank calls............:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I said that in response to you criticising them for not maximising their profits this year by becoming a noveltly comedy act for the killinascully fans, by cashing in on Horse Outside...
    They chose longetivity and artistic freedom over quick cash, so its no cliche....just smart business...SO yes i guess i am wrong..THey chose to make more money by having a longer career, while your advice to them is to blow their load in one year.

• Advertisement

longer career?

I said that in response to you criticising them for not maximising their profits this year by becoming a noveltly comedy act for the killinascully fans, by cashing in on Horse Outside...
    They chose longetivity and artistic freedom over quick cash, so its no cliche....just smart business...SO yes i guess i am wrong..THey chose to make more money by having a longer career, while your advice to them is to blow their load in one year.
    Bang on

The fact that you read from my comment that I compared them with Bowie Korn etc speaks volumes dont you think. Go back and read it again. They re doing a sold out show in the olympia tomorrow night, the only Limerick band who have ever done it...ever.
    :)

Yes you compared the bandits with serious artists! Dont you understand that the bandits are a comedy act and not serious artists?
    Clearly you know nothing about that pig and porter fiasco or else someone lied to you.

Clearly you dont know much either I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I've had it stuck in my head all day, so they're still doing something good :D

well, they got 5 pages on them, so doing something right.....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

DannyRiver is correct. The lads know what they are doing. The song itself is brilliant I must have listened to it countless times since it was released.

If you do as was suggested and step back and have a look at the song you can see it for what it really is. I'm not going to spell it out in words because if you cannot surmise its message well then you don't deserve to comment on the song.

Its not about throwing hit after hit out for the lads. I've heard them on the radio, tv and seen em live they most certainly know what they are talking about and doing with their careers.

So what if someone doesn't like the song, it just means that they probably cannot understand them on the lyrical/visual aspect of the song. And thats ok because most of the attentive fan base will get it.

Many of the people I talk to don't get it but just love the song so it can swing either way really but for gods sake don't spout ****e that they have lost the plot etc because they are too smart as lyricists and artists in that regard.

Yes you compared the bandits with serious artists! Dont you understand that the bandits are a comedy act and not serious artists?

Clearly you dont know much either I would think.

'Yes you compared the bandits with serious artists! Dont you understand that the bandits are a comedy act and not serious artists?'

Indeed I did and I still but I didn t compare them with Bowie, Korn etc...I think you know that and are just being contentious and difficult so I'll leave that one. Are Tommy Tiernan or Des Bishop, Dara O brian serious artists. Of course they are they just happen to use humour to express their art. As for the pig and porter the lads gave 100% of the money made at that gig to Reach Out the charity in town, not a penny went to the boys. The reason it was moved to Dolan's was because Mick Dolan kindly offered the warehouse for nothing which meant all the proceeds went to charity had they done it in Old Cresent part of the profits would have had to go to paying for the PA etc. That s just a fact. For you to say that they made money out of a charity gig either suggests that you are fundamentally nasty and malicious as a person or for some reason are very angry with the lads over something cos any rational person would agree that that is a nasty assertion to make about anyone, and if it were true perhaps it's the fraud squad you should take your allegations to.

Well, what are they? Are they a "serious" act or a "comedy" act? The public have a perception of them since the Horse Outside, and whether they like it or not, the public are the ones who count. They can fire away releasing "serious" music. It may work, but it may not, hard to say.....

I am very aware of their backgrounds, what they do outside of music, and who they are, etc. etc, who manages them etc. etc.

That's why I think Spastic Hawk was specifically written to appeal to a UK audience for example. Again, from a business sense, nothing wrong with it. A dog with a mallet in his @rse would have released an album at Christmas or after Christmas. As it happened, the hysteria died down. They couldn't have bought the publicity they got last year, and fair enough, they gigged the @rse out of it, but could have made hay with an album...why gig if you have nothing to promote?

'why gig if you have nothing to promote?'

I'd say they gigged so they could pay the rent and buy food whilst they continue writing and recording new material...are you seriously wondering why they might be gigging?

They have the talent musically to be both a serious and a comedy act, I'm hoping they keep switching between the 2 as they seem to have done with Spastic Hawk even though there is intrinsic humour in Spastic hawk albeit of a darker more ironic sensibility.

'why gig if you have nothing to promote?'

I'd say they gigged so they could pay the rent and buy food whilst they continue writing and recording new material...are you seriously wondering why they might be gigging?

I thought they "didn't care about finance"?????

I know they have the talent to switch between comedy and serious, but that would be the problem, switching. You don't get Take That switching between pop music and alternative rock........

• Advertisement

I thought they "didn't care about finance"?????

I know they have the talent to switch between comedy and serious, but that would be the problem, switching. You don't get Take That switching between pop music and alternative rock........

Everyone cares about finance...why are you talking about Take That.

A band who changes between serious songs and comedy songs never lasted. Name me one?? A band can't go setting itself up as a comedy act, gain fans that way, then come out with serious stuff, and think that people will actually give a sh*t or take any notice............

Spastic Hawk, if you just take the lyrics, isn't a serious song, it's still a comedy song, though just not funny (to me). It could well be funny to you and to others, but that's down to taste.....

Flight of the Conchords didn't do it, Spinal Tap didn't do it. Of course both wrote catchy comedy songs, they didn't go near serious songs.....

I used Take That as an example of a band, who, if they switched genres would be laughed out of England......

According to Ash J Williams , some artists don't care about finance, hinting that the bandits are one of those acts. Ash J Williams to me, sounds like someone who is too young to realise that you actually need money to survive and pay rent, car insurance etc. and any artist who says "it's all about the art man..........." either lives at home with their folks, therefore has no responsibility to pay bills etc.....

I'll agree to disagree with you anyways......

A band who changes between serious songs and comedy songs never lasted. Name me one?? A band can't go setting itself up as a comedy act, gain fans that way, then come out with serious stuff, and think that people will actually give a sh*t or take any notice............

Spastic Hawk, if you just take the lyrics, isn't a serious song, it's still a comedy song, though just not funny (to me). It could well be funny to you and to others, but that's down to taste.....

Flight of the Conchords didn't do it, Spinal Tap didn't do it. Of course both wrote catchy comedy songs, they didn't go near serious songs.....

I used Take That as an example of a band, who, if they switched genres would be laughed out of England......

According to Ash J Williams , some artists don't care about finance, hinting that the bandits are one of those acts. Ash J Williams to me, sounds like someone who is too young to realise that you actually need money to survive and pay rent, car insurance etc. and any artist who says "it's all about the art man..........." either lives at home with their folks, therefore has no responsibility to pay bills etc.....

Fair enough but one last thing there isn't one comedic line in Spastic Hawk ...That s the beauty of it yet somehow the whole thing due to the cleverness of the concept is in some way darkly comedic...maybe the fact that you believe that the lyrics on there own are comedic is the difference between the way we both look at it..either way peace we beg to differ..mind yourself. :)

Sorry seachto you seem a little slow, My point was....YOU were advising the rubber bandits to carry on with the horse outside momentum, it was you saying that they should tour around the album that you thought they should have released around that time and it was YOU giving out about their supposed new direction...all your advice here was for profit maximisation, I simply stated that maybe all those values you hold so dear, are not at the front of the bandits minds...
    As far as i know the bandits are only part of what these guys do for a living, so i guess their bills are covered. If you had your way they'd have shot their muck last xmas and it would over by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Don't like it at all, some of their stuff is great but this is just dire..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A bit too clever for the wider audience that they now have. I "got it" but had no interest in listening to it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I think this song is permanently etched on my brain. For example I could be out driving and see a bird fly across my car and I'll think to myself "Fly away SpasticHawk..." and chuckle away to myself, I really do like it.
    By all accounts another of their new songs called 'Spoiling Ivan' is supposed to be sh*t hot. A friend of mine (who wouldn't be a big fan) has heard it and reckons it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Why is there such a debate over labeling their genre? Its entertainment.

When I first listened to the song I thought it was off the wall but it stuck in my head. I think its a very catchy tune but not in a memorable chorus way like horse outside but in the way it is sang. Musically its fantastic. The video is pure comedy though. Its concept and how it builds is very good.

I have to applaud them in not sucking satans cock for youtube hits by releasing a song which is obviously not going to get much mainstream airplay
    A band who changes between serious songs and comedy songs never lasted. Name me one??

Frank Zappa.

Does humour belong in music?

Yes it does.

@Angus MacGyver . There is a huge difference between Frank Zappa, musically speaking, and the Rubberbandits. No offence to the bandits, but Frank Zappa was on a different planet musically and lyrically............
    I never said humour didn't belong in music, but if The Darkness brought out a "serious" album with heavy lyrics, do you think people would listen to it? Me neither........
    My attempt at debate was if the bandits suddenly say "we're not doing comedy songs anymore, we're going to write serious songs". Well, hold on a second, what did you build your profile on?", and unfortunatley, it's the fans who will have the say in the end, not the Rubberbandits. I for one, couldn't really care less if they release songs about the Bosnian war, as I wouldn't buy their stuff anyways. It's just not my thing. But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread.

• Advertisement

@Angus MacGyver . There is a huge difference between Frank Zappa, musically speaking, and the Rubberbandits. No offence to the bandits, but Frank Zappa was on a different planet musically and lyrically............
    I never said humour didn't belong in music, but if The Darkness brought out a "serious" album with heavy lyrics, do you think people would listen to it? Me neither........
    My attempt at debate was if the bandits suddenly say "we're not doing comedy songs anymore, we're going to write serious songs". Well, hold on a second, what did you build your profile on?", and unfortunatley, it's the fans who will have the say in the end, not the Rubberbandits. I for one, couldn't really care less if they release songs about the Bosnian war, as I wouldn't buy their stuff anyways. It's just not my thing. But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread.
    Why do you want to attempt to debate about hearsay that was conjured by you yourself?

Advertisement