Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

seachto7 wrote: »
    ... it's the fans who will have the say in the end, not the Rubberbandits.......

I don't think you could be more wrong. They are doing their own thing, pleasing themselves first and if this gains/loses them fans then so be it. It's it possible to do what you want as an artist and then promote it. It's not selling out and it's not compromising. See 1:38 to 2:03 of the video below where they are asked about their hopes for the success of Roisin (I wanna Fight Your Father)

...I'd rather do something that noone sees that we like, than do something that everyone sees that we hate. Otherwise we would just be doing a song about a cow outside and that would be s*it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I don't think you could be more wrong. They are doing their own thing, pleasing themselves first and if this gains/loses them fans then so be it. It's it possible to do what you want as an artist and then promote it. It's not selling out and it's not compromising. See 1:38 to 2:03 of the video below where they are asked about their hopes for the success of Roisin (I wanna Fight Your Father)

...I'd rather do something that noone sees that we like, than do something that everyone sees that we hate. Otherwise we would just be doing a song about a cow outside and that would be s*it!

argument over i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Spastic Hawk is a great song. Maybe it takes some people a couple of listens but all great music is like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How can you take that piece between 1:38 - 2:03 serious? They are obviously talking in character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am not a huge fan who knows all there songs or anything but that song cracks me up. Spastic Hawwwwwk.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    How can you take that piece between 1:38 - 2:03 serious? They are obviously talking in character.
    what?

Mc Love wrote: »

They are always in character, that's beside the point. Blind Boy was in character during the infamous Live Line call with Joe Duffy and still managed to make some serious points about 'making art'.

The great thing about the Rubberbandits is that their characters and the plastic bags allow them to say whatever they want. Sometimes they are just being outrageous, sometimes they are being funny while making a point. They are zany, offensive, witty, satirical, catchy, funny, sharp and I suspect fairly serious about what they do.
    The fact that horse outside was a such crowd pleaser does not mean that they themselves are 'crowd pleasers'. I am not saying they don't want to be successful, they clearly do, but they seem to want to do it without compromising too much.... I buy it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Some of their best work IMO. Fair play to them for pushing the left of field stuff instead of just the popular easy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread.

I'm sensing that also.

There could be an element of that, or it could be that those people who have been watching them from the start, know what stuff they're good at, and what stuff is just done to gain exposure. I have friends who are friends with them but hate their music, and friends who know them who love it. Just because you know someone doesnt stop you from having an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I like it.

It wont get the constant replays that Horse Outside got, but it might get a few people onto Liveline, where I'll be sitting with my popcorn. Nice bit of publicity ahead of the launch of the single for Christmas.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I wont be replaying it too many times. I might still buy the Single though just for the laugh. Would make a good joke present for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

The fact that horse outside was a such crowd pleaser does not mean that they themselves are 'crowd pleasers'. I am not saying they don't want to be successful, they clearly do, but they seem to want to do it without compromising too much.... I buy it anyway.

First Im a fan. They are original and talented

But they did sell out. If they didnt care about commercial success they wouldnt have dubbed 'bag of jokes' and such for HOS radio version.

D1stant wrote: »
    First Im a fan. They are original and talented

But they did sell out. If they didnt care about commercial success they wouldnt have dubbed 'bag of jokes' and such for HOS radio version.
    that was actually funny though!!

censoring bag of yokes with bag of jokes...is funny

as blindboy said on liveline "I'm an artist, but I looove money"

More power to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

And Roisin was a hit was it? They can do their own thing, but you need to gain new fans while losing old ones. If they can do it, fair play.
    I don't get it. Do they like what they've done up to now, or are they changing course or what? I can't seem to figure it out.......

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Spastic Hawk is a great song. Maybe it takes some people a couple of listens but all great music is like that.

That's my problem. I just think it's a sh*t song, not remotely fuuny, and nowhere near as good as their previous output, but that's just me.
    For me, the joke is over......

that was actually funny though!!

censoring bag of yokes with bag of jokes...is funny

seriously.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

@ Seachto

I don't understand why you are so passionate about something you obviously don't like.

pssst
    This thread will easily fizzle out if you just ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well..... so the song has been out for an acceptable level of time that "the buzz" should be surrounding it now or its just not going to happen....... results.

Absolutely no one I have come into contact with has heard of this song and in fact the general consensus or nearly 3/4s of people (estimate based on personal experience which is by no means above or below average) you can ask about the rubber bandits can recall one and only one song they sang which is horse outside. In short... this song and the last has failed, they had one mainstream hit and have faded back to obscurity.

Someone noted a few pages back that people may get novelty and comedy acts mixed up.... I ask - can you recall any non novelty or one long term comedy musical act of any real success? All comedy music acts by definition ARE novelties.

Rubberbandits - fail. Not funny, unoriginal (see previous comments noting their striking similarities to the dunbelievablies which were also a duo comedy musical act poking fun at a particular subculture through song first then later tv) , stale and have in all reality wrapped up a predictable short main stream run. Good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The next song that they release will probably be something comedic on the same tune as Horse Outside etc, as I would say over 75% of people I know didnt think Spastic Hawk was very funny (also didnt get "it") whatever "it" is or was, otherwise they will lose the fanbase they have worked so hard to build up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

hightower1 wrote: »
    Well..... so the song has been out for an acceptable level of time that "the buzz" should be surrounding it now or its just not going to happen....... results.

Today is the 11th of October. The video was uploaded on the 5th. Six days is hardly long enough to make any of the following judgements.
    Absolutely no one I have come into contact with has heard of this song and in fact the general consensus or nearly 3/4s of people (estimate based on personal experience which is by no means above or below average) you can ask about the rubber bandits can recall one and only one song they sang which is horse outside. In short... this song and the last has failed, they had one mainstream hit and have faded back to obscurity.

So one guy asks a handful of their friends about a song that's only had limited Internet exposure. Those few people haven't heard of it, so it must be a failure?! That's rubbish. My friends couldn't name a fraction of Maroon 5/
    James Morrisson/Jason Darulo's songs, but they're all in the UK top 10. By your logic, all three acts are failures.
    Someone noted a few pages back that people may get novelty and comedy acts mixed up.... I ask - can you recall any non novelty or one long term comedy musical act of any real success? All comedy music acts by definition ARE novelties.

Tenacious D and The Darkness did pretty well for themselves for a few years. Long enough to escape the "novelty" tag anyway.

Someone noted a few pages back that people may get novelty and com
    edy acts mixed up.... I ask - can you recall any non novelty or one long term comedy musical act of any real success? All comedy music acts by definition ARE novelties.

Rubberbandits - fail. Not funny, unoriginal (see previous comments noting their striking similarities to the dunbelievablies which were also a duo comedy musical act poking fun at a particular subculture through song first then later tv) , stale and have in all reality wrapped up a predictable short main stream run. Good ridd/Quote]
    This reads like one of those unnecessarily harsh comments that you see at the bottom of Daily Mail articles. You are more than entitled to your opinion but your 'estimates' are wholly unreliable and self-serving. Your claim that they are unoriginal because of a few coincidental things they share with d'unbelievables such as being on tv, singing, poking fun, being a duo is baseless. Your argument displays so much confirmation bias, I am guessing that you have never felt you lost an argument in your life......

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

@Angus MacGyver . There is a huge difference between Frank Zappa, musically speaking, and the Rubberbandits. No offence to the bandits, but Frank Zappa was on a different planet musically and lyrically............

I never compaired them to Zappa. you made a statement

A band who changes between serious songs and comedy songs never lasted. Name me one??

and I rubbished it.

To give it an Irish perspective on a smaller scale. Look at the Camembert Quartet. They had two comedy/Parody albums and are now the house band on the late late. Please dont come back with an argument about how bad the late late is, the point I am making is they are in a more serious role now.
    I never said humour didn't belong in music, but if The Darkness brought out a "serious" album with heavy lyrics, do you think people would listen to it? Me neither........

I would
    My attempt at debate was if the bandits suddenly say "we're not doing comedy songs anymore, we're going to write serious songs".

If? If me aunty had balls she'd be me uncle.

The bandits havent suddenly said they want to write serious songs. Are you just here to try start rows. You've admitted to not even like the their music so why is it so important that you have to let everyone know
    But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread.

Well Im not from Limerick and Im not friends with them. They are two extremely talented and intelligent lads who seem to be makin a livin doin what they love and who are now fair game for typical Irish begrudgery because they are doin well for themselves.

The darkness have several serious songs, and were incredible at what they did. Preferred the album stuff to the cheesy singles.

Musically, the bandits are definitely magnificently talented. The track blends the comedy and the talent seamlessly. This ain't just comedy, this is art. If you don't like it, thats fine, no need to listen. They just played the olympia, wrapped filming on a c4 show, and did a web series for MTV. They may not go mainstream long term, but they'll be cult for years and years to come, because not everyone is on board for knacker parodies and hot women in the videos.

Today is the 11th of October. The video was uploaded on the 5th. Six days is hardly long enough to make any of the following judgements.

I'd beg to differ but hey, lets check back so in 2 weeks?

So one guy asks a handful of their friends about a song that's only had limited Internet exposure. Those few people haven't heard of it, so it must be a failure?! That's rubbish. My friends couldn't name a fraction of Maroon 5/
    James Morrisson/Jason Darulo's songs, but they're all in the UK top 10. By your logic, all three acts are failures.

Airplay comes with a quality song (on consideration the song isn't filled with profanities), granted its easier for a song with a lot of publisher backing to get airplay but the bandits have no excuse on a local level seeing as horse outside had a lot of airplay, I wonder why no local radio has picked up on them? Perhaps its a crappy song that they feel no one will be interested in and possibly view the station playing it as trying to flog a dead horse? (no pun intended)

Tenacious D and The Darkness did pretty well for themselves for a few years. Long enough to escape the "novelty" tag anyway.

I am sorry but Tencacious D and the darkness are not in any realistic way success stories and as I had asked for .... - long term successes. Whens the last time you heard a tenacious d single or darkness single get any sort of good airplay? Hell I liked tencacious D but even then it was obvious as fcuk that it was a funny album with some nice riffs, nothing more and I certainly wouldnt call them a success based on world record sales figures. Yes they are novelty bands, they had one mainstream album release each, thats all they could manage to sell in any numbers and tbh for each of those bands they were sold on the back of one single song each (I believe in a thing called love and **** her gently) . People tired of both very quickly and any subsequent albums or tours failed miserably by both bands and they like the bandits fell back into relative obscurity.

In fact your two examples are very very flawed...

Tenacious D had two albumbs - self titled tenacious d and then the pick of destiny. The first sold reasonable numbers while pick of destiny sold a marked number less while the band has talked about but failed to produce their third album.... not a great example of a "non novelty band" there.

The darkness has a very similar story of permission to land selling well reaching number 1 in the UK charts yet to be followed by the comparative lack luster one way ticket to hell and back. I'll quote wiki here - "Early sales figures in the UK showed the album had not sold as well as its predecessor, Permission to Land. The album debuted at number 11, and fell to number 34 in the second week of its release. Although it has since reached platinum status, this contrasts with their debut's five times platinum status."

So the examples your giving show a trend of a sharp increase in popularity fueled by word of mouth / web access. A subsequent rise in airplay and sales followed by a slow decline to obscurity on following projects started immediately after. All in all a total lack of any ability to maintain not only the heights once reached but even a sustainable level to justify any serious backing. In other words..... a novelty band. Sounds identical to the beloved rubber bandits sharp rise to the top followed now by their current decline to obscurity.

I think I've proven they are a novelty band styled / carbon copied from the dunbeleivables but dont take my word for it, as I said we can all just see the public interest in the band in a few weeks. We can already see the sharp decline in airplay and intrest since horse outside, they havent been mainstream before it, havent been mainstream after it so imo thats not a good sign. Time will show anyway. ;)

wholly unreliable and self-serving.

I wouldnt believe so based on the public trend based on word of mouth, local venue record play and local / national airplay for horse outside Vs any releases there after. There is a clear and concise contrast.
    In relation to your point I thik that shows there is a steady decline in interest in the band... my question is - how do you show there HAS NOT been a decline in interest in their work?
    Your claim that they are unoriginal because of a few coincidental things they share with d'unbelievables such as being on tv, singing, poking fun, being a duo is baseless.

A "few similarities"?? Thats being a bit generous, in fact the only differences between the two acts are the demographic targeted.
    Can you find any further differences?

Your argument displays so much confirmation bias, I am guessing that you have never felt you lost an argument in your life......

If you feel I am displaying confirmation bias please go right ahead and prove me wrong, better yet lets just see where the bandits are in 6 months? 4 or so months ago my family were talking about them, facebook as talking about them, youtube hits were admirable, local and national radio were playing them, nightclubs were playing them.... I cant say that a single one of these things has happened since so I say to you that its not conformational bias on my behalf but more denial on yours. Its clear as day based on the trending popularity of the group that the end is here (if not a little past) but as I have already said, time will tell on my behalf.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wonder why no local radio has picked up on them? Perhaps its a crappy song that they feel no one will be interested in and possibly view the station playing it as trying to flog a dead horse? (no pun intended)

Or perhaps because it was only uploaded as a video 6 days ago, and it may not have been distributed as a single yet. Perhaps because of the lyrics it won't be played anyway. It's all speculation, isn't it? Not proof. The levels to which you're extrapolating are impressive though.
    I am sorry but Tencacious D and the darkness are not in any realistic way success stories and as I had asked for .... - long term successes.

The self-titled Tenacious D album came out 10 years ago and is still quite popular. The Darkness are working on their 3rd album and will be playing The Olympia in 8 weeks time.
    In fact your two examples are very very flawed...

Nope!
    Sounds identical to the beloved rubber bandits sharp rise to the top followed now by their current decline to obscurity.

Have you been reading this thread at all, or just selectively quoting?
    zuroph wrote: »
    They just played the olympia, wrapped filming on a c4 show, and did a web series for MTV.

It's almost impossible to maintain singles releases while touring and recording.
    I think I've proven they are a novelty band styled / carbon copied from the dunbeleivables

Proven? No way. Opined? Certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have to say I really like that. It's something different. I think it's musically very good and, like it or not, it puts across a nice message, albeit in their own inimitable style.

I would actually have preferred if the video was just straight up - no pisstake on that other video that was posted. I loved the book.

I really respect them as artists. It would have been so easy to ride the success of horse outside and go more mainstream but that's not what they're about and fair play to them for resisting that temptation.

They're incredibly sharp and very intelligent. They obviously have very strong ideas about what they are and what they want to be. For me, that's really refreshing.

I think now would be a good time to point out that the rubberbandits have not yet released an album.

• Advertisement

Actually I am going to bow out of this discussion. I think people are talking about different measures of success. Commercial success versus 'Artistic' success. I have no idea or major interest into how commercially successful the Rubberbandits might be, but I think what they are doing is worthwhile.

Advertisement