Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

THe internet has given us a new breed of autistic music fan.Everything has to be in its proper little box, experiment at your peril..I have one rule about music...Nothing has to be anything..

You write music that you want to write, if you try to fit into a genre you have failed already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

What is it about Irish people (possibly even Limerick people) in particular, that drives them to push something to the highest of heights and then drag it down as fast as they can. We love a good sh*t flinging match dont we.

I believe that the musicianship and creativity behind every piece of work put out by the Rubberbandits, far exceeds the capabilities and standards of many contemporary irish acts. But in our blindness and ignorance, we cant see past the act or the image, and interpret the work as novelty and somehow lacking in credibility. We choose to detract from and deprecate when in fact we should be supporting and praising the work of two lads, who are being inventive and pushing the boundaries of art, comedy and musical creativity.

Even if the bandits took it upon themselve to placate every fan they ever had, theyd unintentionally marginalise other sections of followers. All they can do, is to continue down the path they feel is right, regardless of whether or not it leads them to riches or ruin.
    I do know for a fact that if it were the latter, there would be a few thousand would be fans, who spent long enough recycling the lyrics to horse outside along with the rest of their buddies, rubbing their hands together with delight, smug in the knowledge that "I ALWAYS SED DEY WERE SHYTE NEWAYZ LOL". We loves a good failure story so we does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Mc Love wrote: »
    How can you take that piece between 1:38 - 2:03 serious? They are obviously talking in character.

I'll repeat do u seriously think that the rubberbandits released Spastic Hawk for it's comedic value. It s only the likes of you and the other irony free zones on this thread that are insisting that they release 'funny songs'. Spastic hawk is not meant to be laugh out loud funny, the entire piece as a whole has a strange comedic value but it's not a funny song as such its a cracking piece of music with a sound that genuinely sounds like no one else...they also filled the Olympia the other evening..so your continuing argument that they are a novelty act just cos you and a bunch of your buddies dont like them simply doesn t hold water.. and whilst I m at it

'But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread. '

Do you think the lads in the Irish Times and state magazine are also mates of mates from Limerick , don t forget to open the links now you hear.

State Review 11/10/11

http://www.state.ie/34745-live-reviews/rubberbandits-dublin

Irish Times Review Sept 2011

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0903/breaking35.html

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Only heard this now. Loved it. And the drawings in the video are priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dannyriver wrote: »

'But I do get the whiff of they are unreal class just because they are from Limerick, and they're mates of mate off this thread. '

Do you think the lads in the Irish Times and state magazine are also mates of mates from Limerick , don t forget to open the links now you hear.

State Review 11/10/11

http://www.state.ie/34745-live-reviews/rubberbandits-dublin

Irish Times Review Sept 2011

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0903/breaking35.html

This thread is what I am talking about, not the State or the Irish Times...`

From the State:

"........predominantly under-25 on-the-lash and on-the-pull audience"

"........but they are letting official Ireland know that they can’t have it all their own way."

I am over 30, and I don't get how "they are letting Ireland know they can't have it their own way"? By singing songs????? That's a dig at the reviewer who I am guessing is under 25........

The video to Spastic Hawk is very well done, but the song ain't for me.....

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    This thread is what I am talking about, not the State or the Irish Times...
    what? you'll have to explain that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

THe internet has given us a new breed of autistic music fan.Everything has to be in its proper little box, experiment at your peril..I have one rule about music...Nothing has to be anything..

You write music that you want to write, if you try to fit into a genre you have failed already...

Same can be said for what an individual decides that he or she likes the sound of. There is nothing to say that people who don't like one particular song should be written off as an "autistic music fan". Listening to music is about opinions and individual taste, and whether a person claims to like or dislike a song or artist or whether they claim to "get" or no get a song, it does not make their opinion more valid for another person.

As I said near the start of this thread, I don't think much of this song, but I still hope that everything goes well for the Rubberbandits as they are likeable lads irl. If they can have success and do things more or less on their own terms then fair play to them, but me hoping they do well does not mean that I have to nod my head and say everything they do is great when I hear something from them I don't like.

There is no right or wrong answer in terms of people liking or disliking the song, anyone who thinks there can only be one definitive answer either way falls right into that pigeon holing mentality that you alluded to.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Same can be said for what an individual decides that he or she likes the sound of. There is nothing to say that people who don't like one particular song should be written off as an "autistic music fan". Listening to music is about opinions and individual taste, and whether a person claims to like or dislike a song or artist or whether they claim to "get" or no get a song, it does not make their opinion more valid for another person.

As I said near the start of this thread, I don't think much of this song, but I still hope that everything goes well for the Rubberbandits as they are likeable lads irl. If they can have success and do things more or less on their own terms then fair play to them, but me hoping they do well does not mean that I have to nod my head and say everything they do is great when I hear something from them I don't like.

There is no right or wrong answer in terms of people liking or disliking the song, anyone who thinks there can only be one definitive answer either way falls right into that pigeon holing mentality that you alluded to.
    Sorry kes i am specifically talking about people who complain about artists not conforming to genre and experimenting...i've seen so much lately that it is bugging me...There has been a little of it here in this thread relating to the bandits decisions. (i'd never get irate becuase someone hates something)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

seachto7 wrote: »
    This thread is what I am talking about, not the State or the Irish Times...`

From the State:

"........predominantly under-25 on-the-lash and on-the-pull audience"

"........but they are letting official Ireland know that they can’t have it all their own way."

I am over 30, and I don't get how "they are letting Ireland know they can't have it their own way"? By singing songs????? That's a dig at the reviewer who I am guessing is under 25........

The video to Spastic Hawk is very well done, but the song ain't for me.....

I don t understand the relevance of the reviewer being under 25..so what if he is..do you graduate to having a reliable opinion when you reach a certain age, like over 30 for instance. Apologies if I ve interpreted that wrongly. And really just like the argument you had stating mates of mates etc on your earlier post, you should really stick to what's going on in the post as opposed to conjecture. Finally how else does a singer or musician 'let middle Ireland know they can't have it their own way' other than through the medium of song or music. I think the reviewer was using this line to illustrate the nature of the subject matter that the lads sing about and the irreverent way they do so, the sex pistols and the Beastie boys did something similar...and before either you or the other guy who seems to be upset by the Bandits mclove, tell me not to compare the Bandits to the Pistols or Beastie Boys I'm not, I'm just making the point that its of a similar spirit.... although I keep looking for signs through the post that you are just a wind up merchant but it seems you are serious about the angle you re taking ?????

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I think now would be a good time to point out that the rubberbandits have not yet released an album.
    They released an EP called "drawing pictures of each other smoking fags" well before their fame expanded outside Limerick and as far as I know their album is due out next month. I'm really looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 joejoejoejoe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Recorded in Shannon(most of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I know way too many people in that video. Rock on lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well thats a lot better than the last rubbish that they released. I even laughed during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They relaxed the accents for the UK market and its much better, really liked this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They relaxed the accents for the UK market and its much better, really liked this one.

I find it a very watered down version to what they were, but at the same time, when the opportunity comes up, you wouldn't say no to going for Channel 4. Part of that would probably be toning it down a bit??
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea though.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know way too many people in that video. Rock on lads.

Just spotted one of the neighbours in there. Funny stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Mc Love wrote: »
    I even laughed during it.

I laughed a lot of the way through it!
    A welcome return to form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

G'wan Maurice you legend.

Well if it opens up new markets to them, then fair play to them. What really struck me was how well it was shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What really struck me was that they managed to staple their posters to a mirror! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What really struck me was that they managed to staple their posters to a mirror! :eek:
    And to shop shutters

`

And doing so to the side of a van did not catch your eye? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Great stuff. Know a few faces in there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well if it opens up new markets to them, then fair play to them. What really struck me was how well it was shot.

pro film crew from c4, with quite a famous director on board too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh I hated it at first, now I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not bad, Will have to hear it a few more times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Big improvement on Spastic Hawk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

All I got was a hankering for chicken hut for some reason!

• Advertisement

Advertisement