Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

leakyboots wrote: »
    They've a very talented musical production behind them, the music that accompanies the humour is fantastic.

You mean they are very talented at musical production, as blindboy does the music himself mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Jagle wrote: »
    They've a very talented musical production behind them, the music that accompanies the humour is fantastic.

You mean they are very talented at musical production, as blindboy does the music himself mostly

He's also done the production on a number of local bands CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

They have kind of lost me with this new material. Have followed their progress since the prank calls and loved it but this latest material is just...meh. :(

source wrote: »

really? cos i doubt that he doesnt work with others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Song sucks......Spastic Hawk way better.

• Advertisement

Jagle wrote: »

really? cos i doubt that he doesnt work with others

I know of at least one band that he worked with and I've heard of a few others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know how the british public have taken to them and these blaps? I know they have had a good tour, but were most of the audiences ex-pats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Really? I would have thought the prominent local DJ who is involved with them and their manager would have had the biggest input. Didn't realise Blindboy had that much of a hand in it, fair play if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

Really? I would have thought the prominent local DJ who is involved with them and their manager would have had the biggest input. Didn't realise Blindboy had that much of a hand in it, fair play if so
    Yeah Blindboy is sole musician listed for the majority of the songs and is also credited as producer. The guy is a genius.

HsvWH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

What made you think that their manager and DJ would have the biggest input? Seems a totally irrational assumption to me, had someone told you that before or something. Surely if their manager and DJ had that kind of talent they wouldn t need the 2 boys? Genuinely intrigued. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know how the british public have taken to them and these blaps? I know they have had a good tour, but were most of the audiences ex-pats?

The sold out gig in London and was a mix of Irish [for the most part] Caribbean and London hipsters, the other shows in the UK would have been mainly British considering that the fringe towns [huge amount of black audience members in Bristol I'm reliably informed] don t necessarily have the kind of Irish population to fill out venues on their own unless your talking Glasgow I guess.

Here's a review of the London show

http://therustywireservice.blogspot.com/2011/12/mommy-whats-rubberbandit.html#!/2011/11/limerick-to-shoreditch-rogues-progress.html

and a rather funny Q/A by the same journo

http://therustywireservice.blogspot.com/2011/12/mommy-whats-rubberbandit.html#!/2011/12/mommy-whats-rubberbandit.html :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Here's Choppy Nagle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They started out about 10 years ago doing prank phone calls, then they started doing music in the last few years only making it big in the last year. Getting where they are now took a lot of work and some very dubious material.

where I didn't find anything they did in the last year remotely funny (just finished watching Snuff Box, and it's light years ahead), I'm glad to see they have put all the good stuff on one album.......should be a nice little earner for them this Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Right, i've been following the bandits since the beginning, and i don't know them (but i did work with their sisters and cousin, but i didn't know that at the time). Anyway, i think they are musical and lyrical genius' and are doing what they want to do. And while i think Up Da Ra, Bag of Glue, Horse Outside, Spastic Hawk and Black Man are truly brilliant songs in their own rights, Spoiling Ivan is possibly the best song they have ever made.

I, unfortunately, am complete rubbish at putting into words why i think something is something, but Spoiling Ivan could not be any better than what it is. It is going to divide people, most will see it as a pedobear spectacular, but the real meaning behind it (imo) will be lost to most. The song is moving, thoughtful, emotive and ridiculously enjoyable to listen to.

I dare not type more, because i'll only end up looking like (more of) a tw@ than i already am trying to convey what is in my mind, but i will be sorely disappointed if Spoiling Ivan is not in the top 10 for christmas.

Long live the Bandits, they are what i love about freedom of expression, and are completely up my street! Yurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dannyriver wrote: »
    What made you think that their manager and DJ would have the biggest input? Seems a totally irrational assumption to me, had someone told you that before or something. Surely if their manager and DJ had that kind of talent they wouldn t need the 2 boys? Genuinely intrigued. :confused:

Because I know the two individuals and they're very musically talented themselves. They have plenty of other side projects themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 joejoejoejoe

Anyone heading to this ?

Anyone heading to this ?

yup :D

Just be aware the last time they were in Dolans, they only came on stage after having three bands support them (approx 3 hours into gig) and then only did a 20-25 min set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 joejoejoejoe

Ah i was there and they played for an hour ?
    and two of the three support bands were great ?

• Advertisement

They definitely didnt play for an hour. I will agree with you on the support bands though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I think all their stuff is ****e to be honest.
    Like slagging the fat kid in school.... Easy target kinda stuff. My opinion of course.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The twist in the narrative, quirky lyrics, how there's a long, sustained build up to the new chorus, the dark, macabre and just pure dodgy nature of the storyline put on top of such a basic and child-like melody. They've a very talented musical production behind them, the music that accompanies the humour is fantastic. In this case, it sticks in the head - I ended up humming it for days after only seeing it a couple of times. So much so I'll probably be sick of it in a month if I heard it repeatedly.

But it's a quality effort compared to Spastic Hawk - which, for me anyway isin't in the same league. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the accompanying video (which is brilliant).

If we're talking about the album and the relative merits of these two audio tracks, Spoiling Ivan/Nigel is better.

That's my take anyway, each to their own and that

See that bit in the bold, red text? Thats where you gave yourself away as a vested interest......regards to whoever be it yourself, family member, boy/girlfriend or whoever ;)

- In my opinion the Rubber Bandits need some stronger material or they're running a real risk of loosing a hard won place on the big stage.

leaky boots stop talking nonsense, just completely contradicted yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've been a big fan for years, but the album didn't do it for me, hugely impressed being drip fed new material over the years, but when it's all lumped into an album i realised it's not the kind of thing i'd have on in the car for more than a few plays, for a start i would skip all the songs (on first listen)i knew so that only left the few new tunes. I still think Eammon Dev is one of the best songs ever though!! Then again i'm probably a bit old..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I know of at least one band that he worked with and I've heard of a few others

Who has he worked with? Campaign LK?

Who has he worked with? Campaign LK?

He definitely worked with InreigN, and I've heard a few others say they worked with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Was at their show in Dolans the last night, saw loads of familiar faces from they're music videos, they're some gas *****.

Raiser wrote: »
    See that bit in the bold, red text? Thats where you gave yourself away as a vested interest......regards to whoever be it yourself, family member, boy/girlfriend or whoever ;)

- In my opinion the Rubber Bandits need some stronger material or they're running a real risk of loosing a hard won place on the big stage.

Ah here I've no 'vested interest' in them, I just thought some of the people involved with them had more influence in the recording. But the liner notes say otherwise so there you have it.

Agree on the point that the next album will be very interesting to see how they continue quality-wise. Some of my mates who were at their Dolans gig said it was phenomenal but others above saying it was a short set... the auld beer goggles were on I'd say by someone, probably my lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Anyone see the new Campaign LK video?

The video is seriously well done, I think Shane Serrano made it but the song.....
    I won't bother commenting on it for fear of offending anyone involved, all I'll say is I can't fu*king stand Nu-Metal.

Advertisement