Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits New video ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

source wrote: »
    He definitely worked with InreigN, and I've heard a few others say they worked with him.

he produced mixed and mastered a few songs off their ep a few years ago.
    he doesnt work with campaign lk, campaign lk dont work with him on music in that manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I can't wait to see what's next for the boys, music wise. I have never been overly impressed with their stuff on tv, bar the guide to Limerick and their music videos. I hope they don't spend too much more time on the Channel 4 Comedy Blaps, because I am not happy with what I'm seeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Anyone see the new Campaign LK video?

The video is seriously well done, I think Shane Serrano made it but the song.....
    I won't bother commenting on it for fear of offending anyone involved, all I'll say is I can't fu*king stand Nu-Metal.

All of Campaigns videos are really well made to be fair, but yeah, I have to agree, the song isn't great. However, the singer at the start has an amazing voice. He is some musician, they were supporting the Rubberbandits the last night in Dolans and he was absolutely awesome, what a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

All of Campaigns videos are really well made to be fair, but yeah, I have to agree, the song isn't great. However, the singer at the start has an amazing voice. He is some musician, they were supporting the Rubberbandits the last night in Dolans and he was absolutely awesome, what a voice.

Brian O'Brian. Not my cup of tea, he played Bruce Springsteen in the comedy blap where Blindboy's grandfather caught his pubes in an old alarm clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think CLK are a great outfit, wish I could get to see them more! Loved there 1st song and the 2nd is great too. Video makes it.

They arent to everyones taste but if you like stuff like the deftones, you should like these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

I've been a big fan for years, but the album didn't do it for me, hugely impressed being drip fed new material over the years, but when it's all lumped into an album i realised it's not the kind of thing i'd have on in the car for more than a few plays, for a start i would skip all the songs (on first listen)i knew so that only left the few new tunes. I still think Eammon Dev is one of the best songs ever though!! Then again i'm probably a bit old..

In fairness Ash the point you made about all the songs you knew already is exactly the issue. I knew all the tracks on the first CD off by heart at this stage so it's not really a new album as such but songs like Ivan/shift girls/Boston/Blackman/Danny Dyer/Eamon Dev/fight me at mass/Spastic Hawk I ve been playing continously. I also sent the album to friends of mine in UK and France who were not familiar with any of the work other than Horse Outside and they were blown away by both CD s. I must say I envied them hearing CD 1 or the first time. I think the problem is that the Bandits are a new breed of act that were selling out shows before they ever released an album due to the net so therefore for fans such as you and I it was like buying a reissue or something but for me any album nowadays that has that many good songs [Bag of Glue/Pure awkward/Rosin/Horse outside/Up the Ra/Greyhound shuffle/Antney's eye/Spoiling Ivan/shift girls/Buddies in Boston/Blackman/Danny Dyer/Double Dropping Yokes with Eamon Dev/fight me at mass/Spastic Hawk] on one record is amazing. There are also about 5 different genres in there which is unheard of. Other than maybe the National's last album most of the 'critically acclaimed' albums I ve bought for the last 6 years have consisted of 3 or 4 at most good songs and the rest is filler Serious about men in my opinion doesn't have filler. One criticism I would have is that being old school I like to listen to an album as a complete piece of work from start to finish rather than skipping so I would have put it out on one CD without the pranks and put the 15 or so songs in a different running order based on how they ran together musically rather than old stuff on one CD and new stuff on another. Having Rosin english version followed by the gealige version is a complete no no in my book for instance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Enjoyed first support act (didn't catch name) - light entertainment.

Second act were dreadful - too much localised stuff....which is why Rubber Bandits have done well - can appeal on a more national level / general.

Campaign LK were really good, but I like them anyway (still wish Roper had released more - always enjoyed). Looking forward to more from this outfit.

Rubber Bandits were grand. Pretty similar to last time out. Enjoyed some of the new stuff (wasn't overly gone on Spastic Hawk).

Good night out overall though.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ah come on now, comparing them to The National. Let's wait for Jools Holland, Other Voices, American aclaim first.....:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The set did seem a little on the short side, this was caused in part by them leaving out 2 verses each from both Willie O'Dea and Up the Ra - some of the other songs might have been shortened too. I am guessing that they have learned over time that it is better to keep the gigs brief to avoid stretching people's attention spans.

In terms of their album, when I listen to it I find myself skipping the pranks and some of the old songs, but I respect their trying to give people value with the double album. I think that if I had not previously heard the stuff on the web and the album was condensed to something like the following track-list, that it would sound fresher and more original than anything released in Ireland in a long long time:
    1. Bags of Glue
    2. Pure Awkward
    3. Black Man
    4. Ba Mhaith Liom Bruion Le D'athair (Prefer it to the English version)
    5. Spoiling Ivan
    6. Willie O Dea
    7. Horse Outside
    8. Spastic Hawk
    9. Up Da Ra
    10. Greyhound Shuffle
    11. Antneys Eye
    12. Double Dropping Yokes with Eamon De Valera

...great tunes, not a weak track, loads of nuts ideas, loads of styles. I could not fault it.

seachto7 wrote: »
    ah come on now, comparing them to The National. Let's wait for Jools Holland, Other Voices, American aclaim first.....:o:o:o

Read the post again I didn t compare them to the National why would I do that? They are nothing like the National. I was just making the point that the National's high Violet was the last critically acclaimed album which I bought that I felt didn t have any filler...I was making the point that Serious about men doesn't have any filler either that's all.

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Enjoyed first support act (didn't catch name) - light entertainment.

Second act were dreadful - too much localised stuff....which is why Rubber Bandits have done well - can appeal on a more national level / general.

Campaign LK were really good, but I like them anyway (still wish Roper had released more - always enjoyed). Looking forward to more from this outfit.

Rubber Bandits were grand. Pretty similar to last time out. Enjoyed some of the new stuff (wasn't overly gone on Spastic Hawk).

Good night out overall though.

Best I ve ever seen them perform. Strange how it goes, spastic Hawk was a highlight for me most interesting Irish release of last year IMO.[and Brave considering they must have known a massive contingent of their fan base wasn't going to get it maybe that's why they did it]

lempsipmax wrote: »
    The set did seem a little on the short side, this was caused in part by them leaving out 2 verses each from both Willie O'Dea and Up the Ra - some of the other songs might have been shortened too. I am guessing that they have learned over time that it is better to keep the gigs brief to avoid stretching people's attention spans.

In terms of their album, when I listen to it I find myself skipping the pranks and some of the old songs, but I respect their trying to give people value with the double album. I think that if I had not previously heard the stuff on the web and the album was condensed to something like the following track-list, that it would sound fresher and more original than anything released in Ireland in a long long time:
    1. Bags of Glue
    2. Pure Awkward
    3. Black Man
    4. Ba Mhaith Liom Bruion Le D'athair (Prefer it to the English version)
    5. Spoiling Ivan
    6. Willie O Dea
    7. Horse Outside
    8. Spastic Hawk
    9. Up Da Ra
    10. Greyhound Shuffle
    11. Antneys Eye
    12. Double Dropping Yokes with Eamon De Valera

...great tunes, not a weak track, loads of nuts ideas, loads of styles. I could not fault it.

Never could understand why they leave out verses of both those songs, I ve never seen them live without someone beside me saying in dissapointment where s the rest of the song? The narrative on UP DA RA is the funniest they have and Willie O Dea is just a classic and should never be shortened, why would you? also wonder why they still don't do Magic Lump, Tapes, and Gardai all top class songs.

Wonder what they will do next? Aus tour, then what I wonder? Another crack at the UK this year?
    Would the yanks get it do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

I'm surprised the question hasn't been asked on this thread before now . . .

What is wrong with Antneys Eye?

suzie987 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the question hasn't been asked on this thread before now . . .

What is wrong with Antneys Eye?

Is it a nice eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

Is it a nice eye?

Is it a cod eye?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Is it a jap's eye?

No!!! Its Antneys eye lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

New Song!

not bad, better than the last few :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Now that's some good squishy!

Loved that video!

For anyone who missed the show the other night here s the boys without their masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8BWdIR0gs

Costaforchun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dannyriver wrote: »
    For anyone who missed the show the other night here s the boys without their masks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8BWdIR0gs

Costaforchun :)
    Still laughing at choppy nagle! Look up "****e in a bucket" on YouTube to see what imo the inspiration!...the new show is very clever

Yeah the show was amazing really was...loved the new tracks in particular 'fight me at mass' and 'dog in a cake shop' ...great response from the British audience ...plus tweets of support from Frankie Boyle and Arthur Mattews...also from Charlotte Church of all people. If anyone was wondering whether their humour would travel well there s the answer right there :D

I was expecting something way different I must say. I did not hold much high hopes for it. I thought it would just be watered down versions of the horse outside. But it was better than I thought. I didn't think it was all brilliant, but not bad. Not bad at all. I'll watch the rest of it alright....
    Very off the wall stuff....

I thought it was excellent barring the sketch of Bruce Springsteen, it was fairly pointless and added nothing to the show.... imo.

The make up was seriously impressive.

I thought it was excellent barring the sketch of Bruce Springsteen, it was fairly pointless and added nothing to the show.... imo.

The make up was seriously impressive.

I agree re Bruce but I liked the Embrace Me in Barbados and some of the song titles were very good, but personally I d have preferred more of Larry and Choppy but I don t like being critical of what was a brilliant achievement . What pleased me most is that it showed people just how talented the 2 lads are as actors Grandad, Larry and Choppy are serious comedic creations I knew Larry and Choppy from the phone calls but it was great to see them brought to life.

The traveller lad was defo the best in it. Maybe even better than blind boy and chrome characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

"Skeleton Judge Wants Justice" is my favorite.

I find the whole Bruce Springsteen sketch weird, but it's funny because when I was younger, that's how I saw his music, with the cheesy keyboards and everything.
    The huge forehead makes him look more like Lindsey Buckingham though :P http://youtu.be/bVsxvoUX9Rw

Overall, a great 1st episode, really reminds me of Flight of the Conchords in many ways.

Advertisement