Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Mathematics course

• 05-10-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I got Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy today, a version that was published in 1986, has the course change at all since then? Should it be good enough to get me through the course today?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I got Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy today, a version that was published in 1986, has the course change at all since then? Should it be good enough to get me through the course today?

Nope! 25 years and going strong. Its the book we have and it's decent enough, however I don't think the a.maths exam papers go quite that far back as the quality of text wasn't very good back in the 80's.

So yes it's grand for the course today.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

Thanks. I have separate exam papers so I'm grand for that :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It's the one I used for my Leaving in 2010, and it was fine for that!

As far as I know, there's a newer book out now, but the course itself is the same.

The old book is fine (but boring and plain!), the only thing to note is that occasionally a question might say something like "The slope is 1 in 10" - that notation isn't used any more. When you see that in the book, it really means Sin(theta) = 1/10, or that the angle is the inverse sine of 1/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

There's a new edition of the book out this year - the 2nd edition - but there aren't any significant changes in it so you're probably fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

The department issued a circular recently to say that question 10 in the exam will not ask any integration by substitution for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Mwalimu wrote: »
    The department issued a circular recently to say that question 10 in the exam will not ask any integration by substitution for the next few years.
    Can you give us proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

BL1993 wrote: »
    Can you give us proof of this?

The circular is number 0059/2011 and it's published at
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/circular_listing.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Call Me Lia

That's the one I have as well, but to be honest I find that the types of questions in it don't really match the exam paper questions. The course hasn't changed but the questions in the exam papers do seem to have gotten slightly easier, and that obviously isn't reflected in this 1980s version. A few days ago my teacher photocopied some pages from the new book and it just seemed so much more relevant. I think I'm going to get the new book for basic general questions when I first do a topic and use the old one to ensure that I get enough practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

That's the one I have as well, but to be honest I find that the types of questions in it don't really match the exam paper questions. The course hasn't changed but the questions in the exam papers do seem to have gotten slightly easier, and that obviously isn't reflected in this 1980s version. A few days ago my teacher photocopied some pages from the new book and it just seemed so much more relevant. I think I'm going to get the new book for basic general questions when I first do a topic and use the old one to ensure that I get enough practice.

Any variations of questions you can practice just by going through the exam papers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What we did is go through all the topics in the book, which took us up to Christmas of 6th year (note: I was doing AM outside of school, 2 hours a week). Then from Christmas onwards, all we did was past exam papers - practicing every single type of question!

We went through the papers question by question first (e.g. Q1 from 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, ... , Q2 from 2009, 2008, .... ) then afterwards we went through each paper (all of 2009, all of 2008, all of 2007) so every question was done twice! The papers are incredibly repetitive.

Funnily I found the questions in the brown book a lot easier than the questions in the past papers, but by practicing the past papers, it got easier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement