Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Return - Noob Landlords

Options
  • 05-10-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

Searched all the threads but I dont see any answer to my probably very simple question.

Newbie landlords (well not really but that's another story!) as we have rented out our apartment since 1st March 2011 (bought a house but couldn't sell the apartment - surprise surprise!)

Anyway - should we be submitting a tax return for the end of October or what do we need to do? Registered with PRTB and all that and we have kept as many receipts that we could but as we lived there before all the contents are a few years old so we dont have receipts but have an idea what the items are worth

Go easy!! Cash is tight but we put a little aside each month just in case

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭troops

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Searched all the threads but I dont see any answer to my probably very simple question.

Newbie landlords (well not really but that's another story!) as we have rented out our apartment since 1st March 2011 (bought a house but couldn't sell the apartment - surprise surprise!)

Anyway - should we be submitting a tax return for the end of October or what do we need to do? Registered with PRTB and all that and we have kept as many receipts that we could but as we lived there before all the contents are a few years old so we dont have receipts but have an idea what the items are worth

Go easy!! Cash is tight but we put a little aside each month just in case

no you're ok till october 2012 for the 2011 return

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Doesn't tax on rent earned have to be paid sooner than the following year??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Doesn't tax on rent earned have to be paid sooner than the following year??

Preliminary tax is due during the tax year, but the rule for payment of preliminary tax is 100% of the prior year assessment or 90% of the current year. Since this is the first year the op would be assessable for tax on rent the liability for the previous year would be €0, therefore 100% of €0 = €0.

The second poster on the thread is correct no tax return is due for 2011 until 31st October 2012, so the op does not need to do anything yet. It would be wise however to start setting aside a proportion of the rent now in order to meet the tax liability when it arises in november/december 2012.

This thread probably belongs in the tax/accountantcy forum, you would get a better response there.

Advertisement