Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student vandalism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

constantg wrote: »
    Would it be considered on-topic to theorise regarding measures to cut down on vandalism and reprecussions?

I don't see why not.
    I believe that one should be careful if one sees someone commit an act of vandalism, perhaps not go over and ask them what they think they're doing, but approach security. Should an all student email be sent regarding this? Has the university a facebook page to use to send a similar update or link?

It does but hardly anyone checks it. Might be worth a shot though.

It is also my belief that [1] anyone caught committing vandalism should be sent forward for a disciplinary committee hearing. [2] Furthermore where the offence takes place off-campus, the local community garda should be notified, so that 1, the local community can see that the university takes misbehaviour by students (and potentially staff) very seriously and 2, the students realise that this isn't just some 'note home from the principal', which imho some believe it to be.

[1] AFAIK anyone who does acts of vandalism and is caught is automatically put before the disciplinary committee. And they don't go lightly on them.
    [2] I agree with you on this. If someone commits vandalism, it's officially criminal damage, so the gardai should be involved, especially off-campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Agreed about the Criminal Damage aspect. So basically should there be a memo sent to the University regarding the mandatory reporting of students found guilty of causing acts of vandalism. The only way idiots will stop is if they get caught and if the book is thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

Agreed. Now you're talking.

Agreed. Now you're talking.

+1 for the Boards.ie slogan reference. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

i apologised for the vandalism lads please can we let that be the last of it!

You'll never live it down. Best to start up a new account :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i didnt know u promote & brag about vandalism here!!!

i didnt know u promote & brag about vandalism here!!!

You don't. We're discussing it, not promoting it. Vandalism is NEVER a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    You don't. We're discussing it, not promoting it. Vandalism is NEVER a good thing.

I know was talking about $$$$$ who said they damaged some place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Last night (Halloween) I saw a group of student by/in the graveyard beside Birefield drinking and letting off fireworks no respect at all.:mad:

Jester252 wrote: »
    Last night (Halloween) I saw a group of student by/in the graveyard beside Birefield drinking and letting off fireworks no respect at all.:mad:

How do you know they were students?

Students in UL generally have houses to drink in, warm(ish), dry(ish) houses with gardens to let off fireworks.

Secondary School children on the other hand generally DON'T have houses to drink in and often resort to drinking in graveyards and the like. As its Halloween and Mid-Term, I would surmise that you probably saw a group of the latter as opposed to the former.

Unless you know for a fact that they were University students?

• Advertisement

How do you know they were students?

Students in UL generally have houses to drink in, warm(ish), dry(ish) houses with gardens to let off fireworks.

Secondary School children on the other hand generally DON'T have houses to drink in and often resort to drinking in graveyards and the like. As its Halloween and Mid-Term, I would surmise that you probably saw a group of the latter as opposed to the former.

Unless you know for a fact that they were University students?

I cant tell you as a FACT but judging by the numbers and different accents that I heard. Also most were in costume and usually people that underage drink don't dress up.
    and to top it off some of the group were getting taxis so they could head into town.
    Not to mention talk about skipping class the next day
    I think we can assume that UL student did themselves proud

I cant tell you as a FACT but judging by the numbers and different accents that I heard.

So there could have been different people from different areas?

Also most were in costume and usually people that underage drink don't dress up.

It's HALLOWEEN!!!! EVERYONE dresses up, ESPECIALLY young people!!

and to top it off some of the group were getting taxis so they could head into town.

Oh My God; you're right! Their association with motorised transport clearly makes them students, how could I have missed that???

I can now only think that you were one of the group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You absolute refusal to accept the most probable explanation for these activities completely undermines your integrity as a witness. This attitude that UL students are innocent until proven guilty might be appropriate for the court room but not for real life where it was obvious to every man and his dog that the vast majority of nuisance makers were UL students.

I myself recognised a few people from campus in superdine after they were unable to gain entry to the Lodge and seen the same people wandering the street being noisy, acting dangerously and littering.

While I take the point I didn't see any major acts of vandalism or more serious anti-social behaviour it would cowardly of UL to not accept that its students are small time trouble makers.

I agree with Sid Justice. Constantg lives in the world where you should stop trouble makers and ask them for i.d before daring to post on Boards. There are very few residents in MG or EP. Most of them are long term. They'll tell you when they look out their windows at night its students that they see causing the hassle.

Constantg sounds like a Fianna Failer i.e can't take responsibility and blaming someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It's HALLOWEEN!!!! EVERYONE dresses up, ESPECIALLY young people!!

Oh My God; you're right! Their association with motorised transport clearly makes them students, how could I have missed that???
    I don't see any reason to believe that they couldn't possibly have been UL students. Seems perfectly likely to me seeing as tons of them live in the area.

The washing machines and the driers were vandalised in Thomond last night. It's annoying because I know the management are going to charge all the students that live in Thomond a sum for the repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I know ul students are responsible for alot of vandalism and litter round castletroy but I really cant see why student would do as we call "nacker drinking" in a grave yard.

I was talking to a lad there from Ul who's from Castletroy and he said from secondary school till college every Halloween a group of 30 of them used to go around wrecking the place and egging all the students houses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

garv123 wrote: »
    I know ul students are responsible for alot of vandalism and litter round castletroy but I really cant see why student would do as we call "nacker drinking" in a grave yard.

I was talking to a lad there from Ul who's from Castletroy and he said from secondary school till college every Halloween a group of 30 of them used to go around wrecking the place and egging all the students houses

Maybe they learnt from Balotelli's mistake and decided not to let the fireworks go from the bathroom window! :pac:

The washing machines and the driers were vandalised in Thomond last night. It's annoying because I know the management are going to charge all the students that live in Thomond a sum for the repairs.
    That was one of the reasons that I moved out of Thomond just be thankful it was not a lift and everyone in the block had to pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Oh the joys of primary-school era 'well now SOME people have ruined it for EVERYBODY' punishments. >.< That's one thing I don't miss about living on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

You should vandalise something just to get your money's work: tragedy of the commons FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Why in the world would you pay for that??? surely they have insurance....not a notion would I, they would try and get away with anything if they could! they are a charity so ask them to be charitable :)

It's in the contract. It will be subtracted from deposit.
    The equipment belongs to another company who Thomond subcontract laundry to. Presumably that company will make an insurance claim, or perhaps they will just send a bill to Thomond / Campus life / who ever and they will just pay them and just charge all residents a 10er.

Unlike the laundry room in Cappavilla the laundrette in Thomond is not generally locked and doesn't have swipe access. genuinely anyone could have done it (bit I admit the likely culprits were waster students or their friends) a lot of people congregate in there waiting for taxis.

I was out and about at midnight on halloween and didn't see anyone messing in there, you'd can rest assured if I did I'd have called security, detain those responsible and ensured their names were given before the college and to the the police.

How so? For the record, not that its any of your business, I haven't had a drink in 5 years (to the day on monday) and I didnt make it a habit to hang out in graveyards even when i was drinking.

I most certainly wasn't there on the night in question as I haven't been in castletroy for any reason whatsoever in about a month.

You absolute refusal to accept the most probable explanation for these activities completely undermines your integrity as a witness.

I'm not sure who you're referring to; myself or jester?

This attitude that UL students are innocent until proven guilty might be appropriate for the court room but not for real life where it was obvious to every man and his dog that the vast majority of nuisance makers were UL students.

Pretty sure the courts exist in 'real-life' too..... You might want to check that out! Also they are not responsible for the vast majority. They are probably responsible for some.

While I take the point I didn't see any major acts of vandalism or more serious anti-social behaviour it would cowardly of UL to not accept that its students are small time trouble makers

I think UL already accepts this as there are cases of students being reported to UL's disciplinary committee on an ongoing basis, as they come to notice.

By your own logic, it would also be cowardly not to admit that not all of the acts of intimidation, violence, vandalism and littering are caused by UL students. There have been cases of all of the above from the Traveller Halting Site adjacent to the Kilmurry Lodge for years. I myself was subject to it from time to time. There is also a serious problem with criminal gangs in the area, as the recent raids by the Regional Support Unit and armed gardai are testament to. There is also the behaviour of SOME of those in receipt of social housing by the HSE in the area and the behaviour of their children.

I'm not sure who you're referring to; myself or jester?
    You

Pretty sure the courts exist in 'real-life' too..... You might want to check that out! Also they are not responsible for the vast majority. They are probably responsible for some.

How do you know it's not vast majority? You're guessing and you're trying to make it sound as if you know.

How so? For the record, not that its any of your business, I haven't had a drink in 5 years (to the day on monday) and I didnt make it a habit to hang out in graveyards even when i was drinking.

I most certainly wasn't there on the night in question as I haven't been in castletroy for any reason whatsoever in about a month.
    You are not around anymore so you dont have firsthand experience. This year the number of drunken acts is up compared to other years.

SOME kids of re-gen, yes certainly need watching. Criminal gangs though? Not so sure about that.
    Students have definitly been drinking in the graveyard cos Ive seen them myself. They didnt seem to be causing hassle though, more like a thrill for a few first years, if a little disrespectful but that's another argument...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

have to say im really surprised that students were drinking in their, defo out of character for 99% of students, knacker drinking is for teens mainly

saying that there are idiots in every group of people

Advertisement