Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale of Fingal Waste Collection

Options
  • 05-10-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

bcmf wrote: »
    AFAIK and I stand to be corrected here:
    but Panda will be taking over ALL of the refuse collection in Fingal.
    Watch the charges soar when that happens.
    I know Fingal CC and the 'binmen' were having a meeting about this a few weeks back but didnt hear the outcome. But it was the workers who were opposing it as it seemed that FCC were pushing it through.

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not but bcmf your information was correct.

Fingal County Council confirmed the sale of their waste collection business today. Click here for further information on their website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Eoin, your link is broken, has a boards at the start of it>> http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BinCollections/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hope that is not the new regular company who were on Palmer Rd today half the bins were left out on the road in the way of traffic more were just left on their sides in the road and more blocking gates. If thats the type of service we will be getting Im fckd if I will be paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It's just been pointed out to me (by someone far cleverer than I) that the service will only be provided by Panda up to the end of 2011. Basically after that it's an open market. The release by Fingal County Council is slightly confusing in that it says that Panda has committed to freezing the price for existing Fingal CoCo customers for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the "Where has all the Money Gone?" thread

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sorry folks but I hate to say this, but I have a feeling we are going to screwed solid with charges.

Looking back we got a great service of our binmen, Paddy Boylan the driver and his crew over the years have been great Christy McGee, Johnny Callaghan, Willie Boylan, Dickie Donnolly. A more obliging group of men you could not meet.

Real good public servants

• Advertisement

The times we get bad weather i was thinking off, like early this year lot of the companies weren't doing the rounds, dont remember a problem with the fingal collections. Unlike the same area greyhound services for the greenbin were weeks behind.

Edit:
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Environment/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions%20Waste%20Collection%20Service.pdf
    When will Panda take over Fingal County Council’s waste collection
    service?
    Panda will take over collection of the black and brown bins from Fingal County
    Council Waste customers from the 1st November 2011.
    The green bin will continue to be collected from Fingal customers who transfer to
    Panda until the 1st January 2012, by Greyhound Recycling on the days and times
    outlined in the 2011 Green Bin calendar.
    Panda will collect green, black and brown bins from former Fingal County Council
    customers from 1st January 2012.

Looks like greyhound are gone from jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Davy wrote: »
    The times we get bad weather i was thinking off, like early this year lot of the companies weren't doing the rounds, dont remember a problem with the fingal collections. Unlike the same area greyhound services for the greenbin were weeks behind.

Just to say I had switched to Panda from Fingal CoCo prior to all the bad weather and they always collected too even during snow days where I wasn't really expecting them to arrive.

I've been very happy with them, be interesting to see how things shape up now with what I assume will be a large increase in households to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

We also moved from Fingal to Panda, one of the reasons being they were cheaper for their annual charge, second that their price per lift was cheaper, and third they allow you to pay for your charges bi-annually, and even with the additional charge for that, its still cheaper than fingal.

I have had no complaints about the service. In the bad weather my bins were collected when my neighbours fingal bins weren't. The lads always return the bin to the side of the house, fingal often left it on the road at the kerb edge, so it was causing an obstruction. On the few occasions I've had extra stuff to get rid of, they send you an extra bag for recycling and take it away at no extra charge, if its general waste they again will send you a sack and just charge you for an additional lift - this has saved me having to get a small skip as they took the bin and 2 large bags and it cost me less than €20! and they were jam packed and quite heavy, but they took them (in the past fingal wouldn't take my bin as they said it was too heavy, despite the fact that it was quite easy to wheel and tilt!) Plus they collect much more often than fingal.

I really hope charges don't go sky high, as I am very satisfied with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

I see on Pandas website that their prices for Fingal have been upped to the same as FCC prices,110 euro annual charge and 8 euro per black bin lift,didnt take them long,did it,heaven help us from January on :(

greatgoal wrote: »
    I see on Pandas website that their prices for Fingal have been upped to the same as FCC prices,110 euro annual charge and 8 euro per black bin lift,didnt take them long,did it,heaven help us from January on :(

So what's the story then....does that mean existing customers who were getting the €6.40 lift and €88 annual charge will now move to Fingal rate? I've not had any commuication from Panda on any of this to date.

• Advertisement

Looks that way mate,thats the prices theyre quoting for the Fingal area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I did hear that the Fingal Waste CollectionService was burdened with a rather high amount of waivers for payment. It should be interesting to see if Panda reviews these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I did hear that the Fingal Waste CollectionService was burdened with a rather high amount of waivers for payment. It should be interesting to see if Panda reviews these cases.
    The bin tag waivers were abolished within the past number of years. It was only the standing charge that was waived & it was/is subject to a means test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

eddiem74 wrote: »
    So what's the story then....does that mean existing customers who were getting the €6.40 lift and €88 annual charge will now move to Fingal rate? I've not had any commuication from Panda on any of this to date.
    Strange ... I have received no communication from them on this either. The change in prices constitutes a change to the customer contract, and I thought they are legally obliged to inform you of such things and allow you the option to leave if you don't agree.

Although, now they have a monopoly over waste collection in NCD, so it's a case of just lump it and what else are you going to do about it?

Although, now they have a monopoly over waste collection in NCD, so it's a case of just lump it and what else are you going to do about it?

You could switch to greenstar couldn't you?

http://www.greenstarfingal.ie/?__utma=1.1036764475.1318334379.1318334379.1318334379.1&__utmb=1.4.10.1318334379&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1318334379.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=greenstar&__utmv=-&__utmk=6663090

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dillon E

Greenstar dont appear to collect domestic waste in the Balbriggan area so that means that Panda has the monopoly. Wonder if they are going to charge existing customers the new high prices

Yeah,thats their new price for all customers in the Fingal area|

Dillon E wrote: »
    Greenstar dont appear to collect domestic waste in the Balbriggan area so that means that Panda has the monopoly. Wonder if they are going to charge existing customers the new high prices
    I'm confused, the link from Davy above (http://www.greenstarfingal.ie/?__utma=1.1036764475.1318334379.1318334379.1318334379.1&__utmb=1.4.10.1318334379&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1318334379.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=greenstar&__utmv=-&__utmk=6663090) appears to indicate that they do collect Home Refuse?

Yeah they do but not in the Balbriggan area at the moment but as Pandas prices continue to rise,which they will now that theres no Council,more and more people will be looking for a cheaper alternative and there will be numerous operators touting for customers but whoever we choose to empty our bins from January on we can be assured that prices will be on the rise as in every other county in the country with an end to all waivers,this is going to get expensive in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

eddiem74 wrote: »

Just rang Panda to pay a bill and they confirmed the Fingal rate only applies to new customers. They will notify existing customers of any price changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sleepyboots

Panda are not raising there prices for existing customers, so whoever gave you that information is wrong. The original Fingal prices apply to Fingal customers and new customers, panda cannot change the prices for existing without notifying there customers.
    Panda are like any company, they have an offer on and if you don’t grab it then you’re too late. Best thing is if you’re worried to contact them yourself instead of listening to rumors. Then you know for sure and put everyone’s minds at rest.

Problem with my browser so I can't post it but there is piece in the Herald about Panda taking over. The brown bin will no longer be collected and the waiver system will continue for another year.

Problem with my browser so I can't post it but there is piece in the Herald about Panda taking over. The brown bin will no longer be collected and the waiver system will continue for another year.

http://www.herald.ie/news/fingal-to-save-euro7m-with-sale-of-bin-service-2904733.html
    Mr O'Connor said the three- bin service will also cease, and only two bins -- the black bin for household waste and the green recycling bin -- will continue to be collected. The brown bin for food waste will no longer be collected.

However, a waiver system operated by the council to help the elderly and those on social welfare will continue with the new provider for the next 12 months

I think its terrible that the brown bin would be discontinued.

Davy wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/news/fingal-to-save-euro7m-with-sale-of-bin-service-2904733.html

I think its terrible that the brown bin would be discontinued.

Me too, the brown bin was a great scheme when you got into the habit.

So let me get this straight, loyal FCC customers now get rewarded with a reduced service for the same price while existing Panda customers pay a cheaper fee. Loyalty doesn't really pay.

Me too, the brown bin was a great scheme when you got into the habit.

So let me get this straight, loyal FCC customers now get rewarded with a reduced service for the same price while existing Panda customers pay a cheaper fee. Loyalty doesn't really pay.

Ye seems that way if the herald is correct. Not sure why the faq from fingal that I posted earlier in the thread say that panda will lift all three from Jan
    Panda will collect green, black and brown bins from former Fingal County Council
    customers from 1st January 2012.

I'm no expert and will probably be corrected but I believe Panda can take black bin waste and sift through it for reusable stuff so it does not all go to landfill.

http://www.panda.ie/news/panda-mbt-plant-endorsed-by-john-gormley/panda-mbt-plant-endorsed-by-john-gormley.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

maybe they can but you pay to put the stuff in your black bin but not in the brown bin so its a stealthy increase

• Registered Users Posts: 8 minnymouse

Guys panda. are still collection brown bins. your information is wrong.

they are defintley collection all brown bins. no thing has changed

its the fingal co council who stopped not panda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Got my letter from FCC yesterday about this.

My Bin is at the front of my site, near the entrance, and they stuck the envelope under the lid of the bin. I have a postbox, but no, it was left partly under the lid, rained quite heavily before I rescued it, so its wringing wet, so no idea what the letter said, what a shower, ( FCC not the Rain )

Advertisement