Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Granted

Options
  • 06-10-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    this one of my first times using this site and am not too familair with it. Basically we have just been granted planning permission in north tipp and am not too sure what to do about the next step. We want to send out the house for tender but are planning to go the direct labour route as there are big savings to made. Just wondering how to plan around the direct labour route, do we get prices off all the individual trades and then summit this for a mortgage. Also has anyone got a link to a post that will give us an idea of how to organize and plan the direct labour.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Have a look through this site to get an idea of your timetable for the works if you are going the route of direct labour.

http://www.iaosb.com/

As always on this site, the advise is do get a profession in the construction industry to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

markl12000 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    this one of my first times using this site and am not too familair with it. Basically we have just been granted planning permission in north tipp and am not too sure what to do about the next step. We want to send out the house for tender but are planning to go the direct labour route as there are big savings to made. Just wondering how to plan around the direct labour route, do we get prices off all the individual trades and then summit this for a mortgage. Also has anyone got a link to a post that will give us an idea of how to organize and plan the direct labour.:confused:
    If you really don't know much about building, that attitude will get you into serious trouble during the build.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,
    OK first get an arch to prepare detailed tender/consturction level drawings , spec & DETAILS!! + eng struct input. then get a QS to do you a bill of quantities... I know your thinking why should i spend this BUT.. you'll need a confirmed build price for the bank, you also need a little extra in there (that you don't have to spend).. a good set of detailed drawings means the trades will have a better idea what to do on site. so in principal that's less supervision on your part..
    may i point out the the Building regulations have changed dractically in the last few years and will change alot more in the next few. these changes are not as simple as the self-builder opening the homebond book to follow.. I would recommend you hire an arch to advise you during the build, not just for stage payments but to help you with the scheduling/ project management/ but priminarly as a safety net to ensure your home gets built correctly.
    I would recommend you have a read of this http://www.passivehouseacademy.com/downloads/New-Build-Passive-House-Guidlines.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 markl12000

I know a small bit about building, I am a qualified fitter fabricator by trade but only ever worked in large scale construction jobs on only any steel elements to the job. I have an engineer who did the drawings for me and i have them on cad. Wonder will builders and so forth be able to price off drawings on cad better than if they did on paper??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SBR

I I have an engineer who did the drawings for me and i have them on cad. Wonder will builders and so forth be able to price off drawings on cad better than if they did on paper??

You will probably find that the majority of house builders will request hard/paper copies of drawings as they won't have CAD or A1 print facilities to take them down.

• Advertisement

I know a small bit about building, I am a qualified fitter fabricator by trade but only ever worked in large scale construction jobs on only any steel elements to the job. I have an engineer who did the drawings for me and i have them on cad. Wonder will builders and so forth be able to price off drawings on cad better than if they did on paper??
    look, do whatever you want, you asked what your next step should be, then you ask this! good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BryanF wrote: »
    look, do whatever you want, you asked what your next step should be, then you ask this! good luck mate.
    He asked but you didn't have to reply. Have a cup of tea and see if that steadies the ship. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi all,

did you get a provisional ber done?

if not, how do contractors know what they need to price for in order for the house to comply with building regulations??

when building by direct labour YOU become the building contractor and as such ARE EXPECTED to know how to construct in accordance with building regulations.
    These are 12 individual documents which probably amounts to about 600 pages of regulations that you need to read, comprehend, synthesis and enact on site.

this is a minimum requirement of a project manager, then comes teh ability to organise the materials, trades schedule etc...

good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

sydthebeat wrote: »
    did you get a provisional ber done?

if not, how do contractors know what they need to price for in order for the house to comply with building regulations??

when building by direct labour YOU become the building contractor and as such ARE EXPECTED to know how to construct in accordance with building regulations.
    These are 12 individual documents which probably amounts to about 600 pages of regulations that you need to read, comprehend, synthesis and enact on site.

this is a minimum requirement of a project manager, then comes teh ability to organise the materials, trades schedule etc...

good luck :D

In fairness, I don't think a lot of the people going the direct labour route would actaully know about these regs when they get into this, let alone read them - I know little but am looking forward to learning whatever it is I am going to have to know...

In fairness, I don't think a lot of the people going the direct labour route would actaully know about these regs when they get into this, let alone read them -..

as a wise man once said, ignorance is never a defence ;)
    I know little but am looking forward to learning whatever it is I am going to have to know...

some light bed time reading for you :D

building regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,005 ✭✭✭✭muffler

some light bed time reading for you :D

building regulations
    You're a sick man :D

as a wise man once said, ignorance is never a defence ;)

splashthecash, now look what you've done!!! you've brought out the proverbs:D

In fairness, I don't think a lot of the people going the direct labour route would actaully know about these regs when they get into this, let alone read them -

actually... on review of this... every FINAL GRANT of planing permission ive ever seen is sent out with accompanying documents explaining the requirement for the build to comply with building regulations.
    So i dont think anyone can argue about not knowing that they had to comply.

Advertisement