Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another gaming build

Options
  • 06-10-2011 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey could someone look over my build to see if I have made any mistakes or spot improvements I could make. (I'm trying to stay under €1k)
    It's been 5 years since my last build so I'm a bit clueless on current gen hardware.

I went for an expensive case as I hope it will last for a few builds, my last cheap one is falling apart.
    I may pick up a SSD at some stage but am leaving it out of this build.
    I have monitor,mouse+keyboard ect..
    I hope to get at least a modest over clock out of the i5.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'm no expert but I reckon you should reconsider the case and upgrade the processor for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

2500K is what you want for overclocking.

Case is a bit expensive alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39001&agid=631
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=36381&agid=631&apop=2

Two options. Both cheaper, both with excellent build quality, and both, probably quieter than the Lian-Li.

Either case would give you enough money to go with an SSD - people here usually recommend the Crucial M4 (64GB with your budget), I'd go for the Agility 3 from OCZ, personally. Spottier record with those drives, but much higher write speeds.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224&agid=1617

That's the processor you'll be wanting. Otherwise you're limited to about 4.0GHz or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ok that's excellent advice, the corsair case is nice.
    What's the difference between the cpu I picked and that one? I see different max turbo speed but I'm sure there is more to it than that.

Is everything else ok? GPU, PSU, Memory?

The CPU you picked doesn't really allow overclocking. The K variant does. ;)

If you're interested in an AMD GPU, the 6970 is probably worth a look. It's about the same price, and should give about the same performance as the 570, possibly a little more.

Everything else looks good. I've never heard of that CPU cooler, but I'm not up with air cooling at all these days.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Serephucus, I think I'm all set so :)

Was just about to order it and now the motherboard is out of stock :(
    Not sure what to go for

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43884&agid=1601

That one looks alright. Same price (ish) too.

Perfect, I guess I should check to make sure the memory is compatible with this board. I see lots of people having that problem with builds at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've used that RAM (well, next speed up) in the next board up in that series and it worked well. Good board and good RAM.

• Advertisement

OK I have the order placed. I cracked and went over budget getting a 128gb SSD. Getting advice here made things much easier :)

I put this together last week. cpu 24 hours prime 95 stable @4.5 ghz and gtx 570 core running at 800 mhz. SSD really makes a difference to overall speed of the system. Thanks so much for the help :)

Advertisement