Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about Dundalk old street names

Options
  • 06-10-2011 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

hi all , I am looking for information about the Quay area of Dundalk .
    I've been researching my genealogy and my great - great grandmother is from
    1 the Quay . Her father is listed as a publican . i understand there are a few pubs still in that area and i was wondering if Greenore railway saloon bar would have been at 1 the Quay ? Google maps gives an electrical company at 1 Quay Street . i thought maybe the street names had changed over the years . Any information appreciated .:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

What is her fathers surname?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Might be "The Horseshoe Bar" or maybe "Clarkes Bar". It was probably "The Danny Boys" think its closed now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The horseshoe bar is Barracks Street.

Check the 1901 & 1911 census forms as they give good clues to addresses.

The Quay is a general term and does not refer to any one street.

Even the pub on the quay itself has an address of St. Georges Quay (or Browns Quay), Dundalk.

The nearest thing could be is Clarkes of Quay Street but I think the house numbers are high there.

The building could be gone altogether, as much of the area across the road from Clarkes was demolished for the Cattle Mart in the last centuary and I think the lower of the Quay St numbers were there (if it's Quay Street we're talking about at all). Some peopel call Gyles Quay "The Quay" as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

1 Quay Street Dundalk on google maps is landing me straight outside Tom Clarkes pub.

If you do a streetview and zoom in on the wall plates displaying the street names it seems to be the intersection of Point Rd/ Peter Street and Quay Street so it's one end of Quay Street either #1 or the last number on the street.

Chances are Clarkes is #1 Quay Street so looking at that.

The horseshoe bar is Barracks Street.

Check the 1901 & 1911 census forms as they give good clues to addresses.

The Quay is a general term and does not refer to any one street.

Even the pub on the quay itself has an address of St. Georges Quay (or Browns Quay), Dundalk.

The nearest thing could be is Clarkes of Quay Street but I think the house numbers are high there.

The building could be gone altogether, as much of the area across the road from Clarkes was demolished for the Cattle Mart in the last centuary and I think the lower of the Quay St numbers were there (if it's Quay Street we're talking about at all). Some peopel call Gyles Quay "The Quay" as well!!

The horseshoe bar has two addresses 101 Barrack Street and 1 Peter's Street, that's why I mentioned it.

• Advertisement

The horseshoe bar has two addresses 101 Barrack Street and 1 Peter's Street, that's why I mentioned it.

When I lived over it in the 50s it was only Barrack Street!

cargo wrote: »
    1 Quay Street Dundalk on google maps is landing me straight outside Tom Clarkes pub.

If you do a streetview and zoom in on the wall plates displaying the street names it seems to be the intersection of Point Rd/ Peter Street and Quay Street so it's one end of Quay Street either #1 or the last number on the street.

Chances are Clarkes is #1 Quay Street so looking at that.

Sorry but I think no 1 Quay street is the other side of the road from Clarkes. Go down from Clarkes and it counts down from No 70 away from Clarkes. Technically Quay Street runs down the side of the old mart as well.

OP: What year are we talking about? If I knew the year, I could look up some old reference material I have.

When I lived over it in the 50s it was only Barrack Street!

Really? The double doors on the corner are on Barrack street and the small side door was number 1 Peter Street.

Where you ever a bread man or milk man?

Really? The double doors on the corner are on Barrack street and the small side door was number 1 Peter Street.

Where you ever a bread man or milk man?

Yes, Really. The address of the Bar is Barrack Street (that is the double doors) The side door is not the address of the bar.

And, no not my profession at all! :confused:

Yes, Really. The address of the Bar is Barrack Street (that is the double doors) The side door is not the address of the bar.

And, no not my profession at all! :confused:

Well as far as I know, is that the house numbers were changed in the eighties or early seventies, when the side door of the pub was moved down the street about 5 meters, so that door's address became 1 Peters street and the double door was/still 101 barrack street but yeah in your day the side door was a different address.... anyway miles off topic here.:pac:

I asked if you were a delivery man because I had a conversion about this with a man about 10 years ago and he said the same as you, maybe it was a brother of your's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Thanks to you all for your quick replies . This is all the information i have -
    My great great grandmother was Teresa Duffy ,born 1853 her parents names were Peter Duffy and Anne Carraher .On her baptism record the adress is 1 Quay and her father is listed as a publican .

i checked the 1901 census and there is a Chrs A Duffy , occupation railway agent , his wife Emily , and two servants Rose Murphy and Annie Fleming. Annies occupation is given as barmaid so I checked the buildings page and it says 1 Quay Street , public house .

Teresa had a brother called Charles Aloysius so i assume this is him in the census .

Other baptism records show a Bridget in Barrick Street and Daniel in Point Road
    so i would say they moved around a bit !
    I guess i jumped to conclusions about Greenore Railway Saloon bar because i read somewhere that it was sold tickets (can't remember now where i read that) and because Charles is listed as a railway agent .
    Thanks again for your replies . It is much appreciated .

I asked if you were a delivery man because I had a conversion about this with a man about 10 years ago and he said the same as you, maybe it was a brother of your's?

:p No, not at all. No connections to delivery men at all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Hmm the Duffy thing throws a bit of a spanner in the works there. Duffys Cosy Bar (no longer there is right on the end of Barrack Street however it is on the corner of Quay Street. That said my Mam is from Barrack Street and she reckons that it may well be Tom Clarkes that is number one. Hallidays was next to it back in the day and there were only a few houses on Quay Street and some of those were appropriated by the coal yard on the docks years ago. I'll take a snoop down that way tomorrow and see what if anything is on the doors numberswise!

Thanks Dundalk Duffman , it is kind of you to go to so much trouble , and please thank your mam for me . Duffys Cosy Bar sounds very likely . I will try the National Library to see if there are business records for that name .
    Genealogical searches have become an addictive pastime ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Hi Pauline,

You could also try the County Archives in the Old Gaol behind the Garda station.

The Better Half did her family tree a couple of years ago & the staff there were extremely helpful, they have a huge amount of information.

There was so many records lost in 1922 :( but local authorities still have a lot of data archived, business records etc.

HTH

:)Thanks Bosh , that sounds like a great idea . I will check out what kind of records they have , and try to make a trip to Dundalk .

No worries :D

Prob best to give them a ring initially:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Archives/

The entrance is on the Ardee road, small doorway with a banner type sign over it

Just wanted to say thanks Bosh for the link to the archives , I was able to search the archive online and found they have my great great grandfathers last will and testament and possibly my great great great grandfathers !
    I'm very grateful !

No worries ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dec849

That's definitely the cosy bar was sold a few years ago by paddy Duffy the licence was moved to o connells quay st formerly know as dirty dicks and it was demolished to build appts but never built. pity it was a great wee pub best pint in the town, don't know if paddy is still living the barman was patsy maguire from Hyde park associated with quay Celtic fc still.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dec849, that is interesting - pity its gone . I was hoping that if it still survived there might be some old photos of the time as you sometimes see in old bars . Will check the archives again at the link Bosh supplied and see if there are papers to do with the bar .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dec849

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101733399862192&set=o.323272036955&type=1
    Hi Pauline,
    Got this off Facebook photos of old Dundalk,know now why dirty dicks was renamed o connells. Quay st runs to the left of photo and barrack st to the right,the numbers go up as you go down quay st so this was probally no 1 Quay st.
    PS
    Link below before it was demolished a few years ago
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101373886564810&set=o.323272036955&type=1

Thanks so much Dec849 ! The contrast between the photos is quite shocking isn't it ?
    I am delighted to be able to see what it looked like .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Pauline

this pub was owned by the King family before Duffys took it over. I dont know how far back but the Mr King who i know is in his eighties and it was his Fathers (I think)..i can find out some more when I have time . will do so especially if you think it is the place . Peter Kavanagh , retired from the Dundalk Democrat , writes in the paper about Old Dundalk. I will pm you his email address.

Regards Rugbyman

Advertisement