Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit tress in Lidl

Options
  • 06-10-2011 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Lidl are doing fruit trees next Thursday for 6.99. 5 apple and one pear ...
    • Height ca. min 1.2m
    • Varieties include Doyenne de Comice Pear, Fuji Apple, Elstar Apple, Golden Apple, Granny Smith Apple, Braeburn Apple
    • 2 Year Old Plants
    • Extra Thick Stems
    • Well Branched Trees
    Does anyone know about these varieties or bought these from Lidl before? I'm thinking about pollination and size. Would love the pear and one apple. They would be on an allotment so would would it be enough for pollination if there are other trees on plots or would there need to be trees immediately close to them? Also, how long would you reckon before they would prvide some fruit?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

pollination will vary on each... for instance the pear tree will require a different variety of pear tree for pollination, the fuji and braeburn variety of apple tree are considered self-pollinating while the granny smith needs a pollinating partner - but even self pollinators will crop heavier when they are pollinated by another variety!
    more important still is the rootstock characteristics of the tree- for example a fuji which is normally slow to set fruit (4-5 yrs) will be even slower still if grown on large rootstock (m111) and would probably be unsuitable when fully grown for your location.
    not sure about lidl tree sizes but if at all possible i would be looking for the smaller more managable rootstock such as m9, m26 and even mm106, also just to add that some of these varieties will require specific soil conditions and plenty of sunshine to crop well or at all, so i would suggest you research the variety you are interested in before purchase.

imo i would be inclined towards purchasing native varieties that are tried and tested for our climactic conditions, from experienced suppliers whom you can fall back on for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

dardevle wrote: »
    some of these varieties will require specific soil conditions and plenty of sunshine to crop well or at all, so i would suggest you research the variety you are interested in before purchase.

imo i would be inclined towards purchasing native varieties that are tried and tested for our climactic conditions, from experienced suppliers whom you can fall back on for guidance.

I agree 100% with the above. Fuji and Granny Smith certainly will struggle to ripen in Ireland, Elstar should be ok, as should Braeburn (will probably need spraying in an Irish climate though). I have never heard of a "Golden Apple". Native varieties may cost a little more but they will perform better here in general and are normally more resistant to Scab etc..

Advertisement