Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician in Perth

Options
  • 06-10-2011 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,

just thought i'd ask here, finding it hard to get any work in Perth,
    if any one could put me in the right direction ? they dont seem to want trade assistants
    i'm a qualified electrician without the license. i've heard it takes 3 months to get your trade assesment, and then to do a 2 week course, and finally get the license
    i'm going home in march, but my visa is up in august, if i got my license does anyone think it would be possible to get sponsored quickly? or would it be too difficult to get it all in time.

sorry if it too confusing :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

There are companies in Perth that will take you on as a TA. They are mainly companies that do office fitouts. I can PM you some of the names of the them if you are interested. Have you applied to get your trade recognised. It can take 3 months to get this at the minute because there is a huge backlog. You might be asking alot by getting sponsored by a company but all you can do is ask. At the minute they have their pick of Irish sparks looking for sponsorship so you would really need to prove yourself to have any chance of being sponsored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dreaming???

Hi Aido, do you have to get the trade assessment done in ireland before you go, in order to apply for the licence for WA...is there much to getting the licence...
    Would you mind putting up company details or PM me with some company details...electrican for 23 yr, selfemployed for 8...hoping to use Employer Nomination Scheme

Thanks

Hi Aido, do you have to get the trade assessment done in ireland before you go, in order to apply for the licence for WA...is there much to getting the licence...
    Would you mind putting up company details or PM me with some company details...electrican for 23 yr, selfemployed for 8...hoping to use Employer Nomination Scheme

Thanks

It is very difficult to get sponsored by a company without actually working for them for a while first. You said in your other post you are thinking of going for the 457 visa. This is not the same visa as the Employer Nominated. Your experience may help you get sponsored but without working for a company first it may still be hard. Companies like to see what a person is like before taking a chance on sponsoring someone especially if they have a family as they can be responsible for you and your family. This may include relocation costs back to Ireland if the job doesn't work out. None of the companies I know of would be willing to offer someone sponsorship without working for them first so can't really help you there.

As regards getting your trade assessed from Ireland I think you can do this but you will need to use an Australian address as they will not post it overseas. After that you will need to book into a 2 week course to get the electrical licence. It may take a while to get all this done..possibly 6 months.

If you can get yourself to one of these seminars this week it would be your best bet:
    http://www.skillshortagesolutions.com/electricians-seminars.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dreaming???

aido79 wrote: »

If you can get yourself to one of these seminars this week it would be your best bet:
    http://www.skillshortagesolutions.com/electricians-seminars.php

Thanks Aido, thats exactly what i need....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DLAL

There are companies in Perth that will take you on as a TA. They are mainly companies that do office fitouts. I can PM you some of the names of the them if you are interested. Have you applied to get your trade recognised. It can take 3 months to get this at the minute because there is a huge backlog. You might be asking alot by getting sponsored by a company but all you can do is ask. At the minute they have their pick of Irish sparks looking for sponsorship so you would really need to prove yourself to have any chance of being sponsored.
    Hi Aido,

do you know or can you tell me where to get a trade assitant (electrician) job while waiting on my trade cert, I have applied for it 10 weeks ago but there was a further requirement to submit more info so it may take another 4 weeks, finding it impossible to get any decent work without WA Electrical licence even though i am a fully qualified Electrician with years of good experience

• Advertisement

DLAL wrote: »
    Hi Aido,

do you know or can you tell me where to get a trade assitant (electrician) job while waiting on my trade cert, I have applied for it 10 weeks ago but there was a further requirement to submit more info so it may take another 4 weeks, finding it impossible to get any decent work without WA Electrical licence even though i am a fully qualified Electrician with years of good experience
    Pm sent

Advertisement