Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to peel Garlic in 10 seconds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

video no worky for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How often does one use an entire head of garlic for a dish? I love my garlic but never use more than three or four cloves. Even for them a quick chop and a whack has them skinless in almost the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I had to peel 10 cloves recently, took me ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Just get a sharp knife. Cut the two ends off each clove and then and cut the skin on one side from end to end. It should then just peel off. 10-15 seconds per clove max. Same applies to an onion (although you should leave the root end on the onion as it is easier to fine chop it with one end still held together).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Easiest of all. Place you're clove on a flat surface, Put the flat side of the blade of a knife over and give it a quick press down (not too hard).

Take up the knife and the shell should easily fall off the clove. If the clove is damaged you've pressed too hard. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This works well most of the time, but some garlic (like my home grown stuff I'm using at the moment) seems to defy all attempts to get the skin off, it's like it's glued on with superglue!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I usually freeze my garlic, separated, with the skin on. Then cut off each end and the skin usually just pops off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

After watching Jamie's 30 minute meals I never peel garlic cloves anymore. I just bung it in the crusher and squish it. I think it's rare that a recipe calling for sliced garlic can't be replaced with crushed garlic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

syklops wrote: »
    How often does one use an entire head of garlic for a dish? I love my garlic but never use more than three or four cloves. Even for them a quick chop and a whack has them skinless in almost the same time.

You clearly lack commitment to garlic ;).

Handy if you want to make garlic soup.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Malari wrote: »
    After watching Jamie's 30 minute meals I never peel garlic cloves anymore. I just bung it in the crusher and squish it. I think it's rare that a recipe calling for sliced garlic can't be replaced with crushed garlic.

yeah that ould jamie oliver is a lazy ould cnut
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

sponge_bob wrote: »
    yeah that ould jamie oliver is a lazy ould cnut
    :D

Are you trying to insinuate a tried and tested time-saving procedure is lazy? Then I'm lazy :pac: To be honest, his 30 minutes meals are more like 45 minute meals, but they are damn tasty and I have picked up a lot of quick tips, like the old garlic. Plus your fingers don't smell afterwards ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Malari wrote: »
    Are you trying to insinuate a tried and tested time-saving procedure is lazy? Then I'm lazy :pac: To be honest, his 30 minutes meals are more like 45 minute meals, but they are damn tasty and I have picked up a lot of quick tips, like the old garlic. Plus your fingers don't smell afterwards ;)

Yeah his 30 minute meals take thirty minutes if you have already put all the ingredients out in little white bowls, and have already peeled the things that need peeling, and you get someone else to clean up afterwards. Otherwise your talking 45 mins to an hour.

Advertisement