Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New paddle recommendations please

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

My current paddles are starting to show their age and I'm not sure I can rely on them getting me through the winter without failing. Hence I'm starting to look at the options for replacements.

I am mainly into river running with a small bit of playboating and surfing (in the playboat).

From trying out a few different ones in the past (but of course not taking any real notice of them :rolleyes:) I think I'll go cranked for comfort.

I'm a strong lad too so I can happily go for a large sized blade unless there are downsides?

I intend to try out different ones that the clubmates have but quite often people are not all that willing to use someone else's crap blades or want to let someone off with their good ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

Well it looks like I'll have to go somewhere towards the 300 mark to get anything decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Your man in Rough Stuff in Palmerstown makes some pretty decent paddles. You can have them made up with whatever shaft you like and whatever length you like. I've had a Carbon Fibre Tempest from him which I use in Plastic boat for years. He's not always the easiest bloke to deal with though. Plenty of shops around the country resell his paddles too.

What about the enemy here with regard to wrists - RSI? I was thinking that I might avoid future problems by getting the cranks now? My wrists are fine at the moment.

That being said though I am aware they are inherently weaker and definitely way more expensive.

• Advertisement

Also while I'm at it what materials should I be looking at? All the top end paddles seem to be carbon but I've heard rocks can take their toll?

Realistically I'd be paddling once/twice a week in winter and a bit more in summer (water permitting).

Having had a look over lunch I think I'll hold off on the cranks until next time - they're just too bloody expensive.

Currently thinking about the Werner Sidekick with a straight shaft - anyone any thoughts on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

any of the werner glass blades are class....you'll find very few people who'll complain about them ot have anything negative to day about them. There's a new company CORE that might be worth a look at. I don't know when they'll be available in Ireland though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

With regard to cranks, I have been paddling for near on 30 years, I have competed at Salmon, ran rivers, played polo & attemped play boating, I have never done my wrists in...
    Mark in Rough stuff can be different to deal with, but his paddles do last.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

The CORE paddles may be made by the same guy who did H2Os but they are an awful lot better. The blade is much stiffer and more like carbon paddles then H20s, They give a lot of power for a plastic blade.

Shaft is aluminum, haven't seen that one before, a bit on the heavy side but it should last. Not entirely sure they are worth the price they are looking like they are going to cost though.

I use W1 selects (sold in GOD) and I think they are the business, light, strong and durable (I've had mine for 3 years of pretty heavy usage now and they look as good as they did on day one. Werners have a good reputation and deservedly so, but are still overpriced in my opinion though.

Vertical Element paddles look the business too. Paddled with a set for a few days and they feel really good. Only question mark I'd have on them is weather they'd last. They have an air core (as opposed to a foam core) construction so not sure how long they'd last rock bashing, not seen any in Ireland, but very popular in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Sorry to jump into thread but I'm also looking for a paddle and was wondering about shaft length. I'm 5'8 what length should I go for for river running?plus anyone got a second hand one the wasn't to get rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've just seen too many Ruff Stuff fail on rivers to believe "they will last"

As for Cranks, Hold out until you have the cash for them. They are factually easier on the wrist and make for a somewhat nicer paddling experience.

I'm on H20's at the moment but will be moving that up to Werner when I get a bit of cash together. For now though, my 12 year old Palm Deck failed me and needs replacing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

MugMugs wrote: »
    As for Cranks, Hold out until you have the cash for them. They are factually easier on the wrist and make for a somewhat nicer paddling experience.

I think cranks or straight shaft comes down to personal preference I have a set of cranks (AT2's) and think the grip and comfort is brilliant and will probably stick with at's again if i ever manage to break my current blades. But crank or straight shaft really comes down to personal preference at the end of it all. Best advice I could give the OP is to not rush into buying any set of blades and try and use as many different types as possible before committing to a set. A good set of blades is a fairly serious investment that you don't want to be stuck with blades you aren't happy with. If you want a set of custom blades try mitchell baldes in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi,

Currently I use both Werner Shoguns (200) for river running and Werner Double Diamonds (191) for freestyle but on a netural bent crank shaft and carbon / foam core construction. They are fantastic in every way possible but don't come too cheap to be honest.

I have spent a renonable amount of time using H2O's and despite my initial doubt in how they are I was plesantly surprised as how nice they are to use.

As Ken mentioned in a previous post the Select W1 sold in the great outdoors are a freat paddle, I used these for a good while and though they were fantastic in proformance and the construction is equal to that of any other company. They also come in at a resonable price from what I remember.

Paddles are a hugely indivual thing and there is no one right answer for every one even more so when you are on a budget. Try decide on what you are looking for from a paddle and then how much you are willing to spend that should leave you with a few choices.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say on your budget go for straight shaft glass werners.

Went for Werner sidekicks with a carbon straight shaft in the end. Haven't used them much yet but initial impressions are they're a big improvement on what I was using.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Ive a set of Robson Mystique carbon cranks - sold for € 310 and they are great. Really light, durable and powerfull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rossinator

Got a set of AT Eddys there 2 weeks ago, unbelievably good. paid 315 for them brand new.. went from straight shaft to crank and cannot recommend it enough.

Advertisement