Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza sauce

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi I was just wondering what people use for homemade pizzas for the tomato sauce? I was thinking of passata or tinned tomatoes blitzed in a blender with garlic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

1 can tomatoes
    1/3 can water (measure with tomato can)
    1 tube puree
    pinch salt/pepper
    teaspoon dried herbs (marjoram, oregano, parsley should be included)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic puree

Blend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Personally I think that using raw tomatoes or passata makes a very poor pizza sauce. I make a standard tomato sauce, stewed for ages to give is lots of depth and flavour. I then freeze it for future use.

2 cans of tomatoes or 1 can + 1 packet of passata
    onions
    garlic
    herbs
    salt / pepper
    dash worstershire sauce

Fry onions and garlic, add everything else, stew for hours until thick and smelling wonderful. Blend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

3 cloves of garlic, crushed
    Olive oil
    2 tins of tomatoes, chopped
    A tablespoon of tomato puree (or more if the tinned tomatoes aren't great)
    A heaped teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil
    2 teaspoons of sugar
    salt and black pepper

Heat the oil and add the garlic for a minute or two, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least an hour until thick and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭louise5754

Thanks guys much appreciated cant wait to make it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You really won't get a better or easier pizza sauce than this one.
    The quality of the tomatoes makes a big difference - I was of the view that tinned tomatoes are tinned tomatoes but I've been converted and now spend a bit more on tomato tins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

huskerdu wrote: »
    Personally I think that using raw tomatoes or passata makes a very poor pizza sauce. .

that depends on what type of pizza you are making, Neopolitan pizza generally uses a uncooked (san marzano tomato + garlic + salt) sauce which cooks on the pizza in the oven at high heat.

Most other style (NY, Chicago, Californian,bar etc) will use a cooked sauce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was of the view that tinned tomatoes are tinned tomatoes but I've been converted and no spend a bit more on tomato tins.

Aldi's superior range tinned tomatoes (black and silver label) are among the best and cost less than 50c a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

To me it's all about letting it stew for a good few hours, let's all the flavour mix in. I didn't it would make a difference before but I let my sauce stew one day and voila....it was fantastic!

Also if you have some fennel seed throw a teaspoon in.

And +1 on the Aldi tomatos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I made one recently as an experiment. I used the following heated on very low heat for about 45mins:
    2 cans tomatoe puree
    2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    pinch of garlic granules, oregan and basil

It turned out really really well. The honey (a tip I got from another thread here), really made it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I used to make my sauce with loads of ingredients, onion, garlic, celery and lots more. It was always nice enough but these days I just use two tins of high quality Italian plum tomatoes, dried basil, some sugar, salt and a dash of balsamic vinegar. I stew it for about three hours. Blend it up when done and it's ready to go. You won't get a more simple or delicious pizza sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Garlic
    Herbs of choice(usually basil for me)
    Salt and pepper
    Olive oil...

Mix in blender and pour over base..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

a dash of balsamic vinegar is a must for Pizza Sauces, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Des wrote: »
    a dash of balsamic vinegar is a must for Pizza Sauces, imo

Must try that.

The last time I made a nice enough sauce really quickly by mixing tomato puree with some leftover wine and salt/garlic/basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 connorcarroll

Use a tin of chopped tomatoes. then add Tomato puree (you can get a very small tin which is perfect amount). then flavour with Oregano and/or Basil.... Liquidise and hi presto!!! pizza sauce in seconds!!

Advertisement