Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought the new Kindle!!!

• 06-10-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

This is the Kindle I bought- the non-touch one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVF7A

I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday (yesterday). I was shocked at how fast the delivery was from America. When I bought it from Amazon.com, the total was : $157.28

Item(s) Subtotal: $109.00
    Shipping & Handling: $20.98
    Total Before Tax: $129.98
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $27.30
    Total for This Shipment: $157.28

I thought the $27.30 was to cover the customs but then DHL charged me €19.50 when they delived the Kindle to me, so dunno if I can try and get something back off Amazon cos feel like I paid the customs twice. Oh well.

Anyway, the Kindle is way nicer in the flesh than it is in pictures on the web. I actually thought it was ugly first when they announced it but I'm glad I chose this model now. It's grey in colour, and has 4 buttons and a D-pad on the bottom. It's the perfect size really. I read about 70 pages of a book last night and found it so easy- lying in bed, I didn't have to constantly turn pages and prop the book open. It's so easy to use, and looks so cool.

My friends will be so jealous when they see it, it's unlike anything else I've seen before. It actually looks like real paper. The screen reflects light, so it was harder to read at night with a lamo on the other side of the room so wanna buy one of those leather covers with a light for it, don't really need one as I could just move the lamp but what the hell! Gonne look for a cheap one off dealextreme or some site like that.

Overall, I'm so glad I bought it- it's not distracting reading on it as it is trying to read something on a laptop. I was worried that it would just be a novelty for me but I read loads last night and I haven't read a book in about 6 months so that's proof! I used to read loads as a child but got out of the habit, so aim to read about 3 books a month with this! Got about 200 books uploaded on it now, love Calibre. It's like itunes for your Kindle. Download it now and you can see what it's like before you buy the Kindle. I'll upload pics later cos only have my camera phone on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cullina

Thinking of purchasing a kindle, just wondering if it is possible to change font size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

cullina wrote: »
    Thinking of purchasing a kindle, just wondering if it is possible to change font size?

This bit is from the op's link.

Adjustable Text Sizes
    Read comfortably with eight different sizes and three font styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Congratulations OP. I'm just a little jealous:( Those new lighted covers for your kindle look fantastic.

I think you should be able to get something back from Amazon. Seems like you were charged twice for import taxes. Keep your receipts and get in contact with them.

Still swinging towards the Kindle KB - undecided on 3G at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

kaji wrote: »
    This is the Kindle I bought- the non-touch one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVF7A

I ordered it on Sunday and it arrived on Wednesday (yesterday). I was shocked at how fast the delivery was from America. When I bought it from Amazon.com, the total was : $157.28

Item(s) Subtotal: $109.00
    Shipping & Handling: $20.98
    Total Before Tax: $129.98
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $27.30
    Total for This Shipment: $157.28

I thought the $27.30 was to cover the customs but then DHL charged me €19.50 when they delived the Kindle to me, so dunno if I can try and get something back off Amazon cos feel like I paid the customs twice. Oh well.

Anyway, the Kindle is way nicer in the flesh than it is in pictures on the web. I actually thought it was ugly first when they announced it but I'm glad I chose this model now. It's grey in colour, and has 4 buttons and a D-pad on the bottom. It's the perfect size really. I read about 70 pages of a book last night and found it so easy- lying in bed, I didn't have to constantly turn pages and prop the book open. It's so easy to use, and looks so cool.

My friends will be so jealous when they see it, it's unlike anything else I've seen before. It actually looks like real paper. The screen reflects light, so it was harder to read at night with a lamo on the other side of the room so wanna buy one of those leather covers with a light for it, don't really need one as I could just move the lamp but what the hell! Gonne look for a cheap one off dealextreme or some site like that.

Overall, I'm so glad I bought it- it's not distracting reading on it as it is trying to read something on a laptop. I was worried that it would just be a novelty for me but I read loads last night and I haven't read a book in about 6 months so that's proof! I used to read loads as a child but got out of the habit, so aim to read about 3 books a month with this! Got about 200 books uploaded on it now, love Calibre. It's like itunes for your Kindle. Download it now and you can see what it's like before you buy the Kindle. I'll upload pics later cos only have my camera phone on me.

I think you've been double charged

On the amazon.com terms

Important Product Information for Your Country
    Your international shipment is subject to VAT. This is the same VAT rate you pay when you buy products in your country. There are NO customs duties or any other fees. We will show you the estimated VAT upon checkout. Learn more

Customs charges would only be 2.5% - so sounds like you were double charged the vat.

Would be worth contacting amazon I would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cityhunter

kindle is great ,kindle fire is also great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I saw Amazon.co.uk are now shipping the new Kindle. Does anyone know if PC World have them yet or will be getting them this week? The guys in the store don't have a clue - one even tried to convince me there were no new models at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When you buy the kindle you buy from amazon.com, correct? Does that mean you buy books from the same?

I'm probably going to pick one of these up as a present for Christmas, was going to throw some vouchers in to get some books, would it be an amazon.com voucher to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

dhl charge a hefty handling fee (up to €15?) for collecting any amount of duty so I'd say that would make up the bulk of the €19.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

dulpit wrote: »
    When you buy the kindle you buy from amazon.com, correct? Does that mean you buy books from the same?

I'm probably going to pick one of these up as a present for Christmas, was going to throw some vouchers in to get some books, would it be an amazon.com voucher to get?

I use Amazon but you can go elsewhere if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

This is the response i got from them when i pointed them towards this thread, from what i can tell the difference is due to the fact they underestimate the duty that is owed.

You are now connected to BalaNaveen from Amazon.com.
    Me:Hello there,
    I have a question in regards to the improt fees deposit
    BalaNaveen:Hello, my name is BalaNaveen. Welcome to Amazon.com! I'll be happy to help you today.
    Me:thanks
    if i pay the import fee deposit, but still have to pay a charge on delivery, can i get a refund. look at post 8 on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056406617
    is it a double payment
    the import fee deposit is $36.95 but this person still paid €19.50 on delivery
    BalaNaveen:Amazon Export Sales will estimate and collect an import fees deposit to certain destination countries.
    These funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the import fees on your behalf to the appropriate authorities when your package reaches the destination country.
    The estimated import fees deposit will be displayed in the cost summary on the last page of our online order form, just before you submit your order.
    Me:what happens in the situation i have given an example of above
    BalaNaveen:So, that's only the estimate we charge you on the order,andrew. If the charges are more as decided by the destinated country,you'll have to pay more. That isn't considered as double payment.
    Me:ok, i just wanted to confirm this. so if i order the kindle i can expect to pay an extra 19.50 on delivery. is that correct
    BalaNaveen:As I informed you, the charge depends on the fees your country charges you. What we charge you on the order is only the estimate,andrew.
    Me:ok, thanks for your help

• Advertisement

Okay

a) The value of the Kindle is less than 150 euro - so no customs duty(2.5%) - the check for whether customs duty is paid or not is excluding delivery charges.

b) The value is more that 22 euro - so you are liable to pay vat.

Vat is calculated based on the value of item + postage

The value is 129.98 - 21% of that is 27.2 - so therefore Amazon are charging (thought the rate was 22% now - but its roughly what I would expect).

So therefore someone somewhere has added on a charge that shouldn't have been charged.

In this case I imagine that customs wouldn't charge unless this was there was clearly no VAT paid - they are scrupulously honest and I can't see any gain for them.

So an Interesting question I have - if customs don't catch the item - then presumably the VAT isn't paid by either Amazon or DHL - the customer has however paid it in good faith - it would seem to me that someone somewhere is pocketing customers money
    In this case about 25% of the value of the item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

^^As above

I mentioned it on the other thread aswell, and a link breaking down the estimated import duty owing. Hopefully the link still works

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/5453215/

DHL would appear to be the main culprits, most probably an administrative error, but Amazon should be your first port of call. Customs fraud on DHL's part would be a very risky venture given that they could lose a massive customer in Amazon, not to mention the pre-arranged expediency they would have arranged with various customs/ports throughout the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Shouldn't DHL be obliged to provide something with a total break down of the customs charge? Or at least something stating what the charge at the door was for? Something to show where the customs estimate paid to amazon went and where the second charge is going.

What I'm wondering is the cases where people pay the import duty/vat say to Amazon - and it goes through without customs charging - where is that money that the customer paid going to ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

paddyp wrote: »
    dhl charge a hefty handling fee (up to €15?) for collecting any amount of duty so I'd say that would make up the bulk of the €19.50

I think I got charged €25 once by them for handling!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I brought in a couple of items from the US recently via DHL and their fixed handling charge was €14.50 regardless of the amount of VAT (no C&E applicable on my imports)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lilyloo2011

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered a Kindle from Amazon US on Wed and it arrived this morning by DHL. I am based in Dublin & had it delivered to my work address.

I was quite concerned that I was going to be charged additional customs amounts however much to my surprise, I wasn't charged anything at all. :D The price I paid was $157.28 (exactly the same as the original poster) so I'm not sure if that was a scam by DHL. This worked out at €117.

Just to let you know that Tesco are also selling the exact same model for €112 (I think). Might be an easier option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Just to let you know that Tesco are also selling the exact same model for €112 (I think). Might be an easier option.
    Tesco have them for €115

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dvpower wrote: »
    Tesco have them for €115

New one or old one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

They had two types, one was around 115, one was 195. Sorry dont know much about kindles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballymac676

Saw lots of kindles in my local Tesco today - didn't see anyone else looking at them surprisingly enough. €115 for kindle with wi-fi and €195 for the 3g kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

are they in all the tescos or just the bigger ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They are €110 in PC World/Currys for WiFi version (no keyboard), and €180 for 3G version (with keyboard).

Advertisement