Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

I tried subscribing for 1 year non recurring, using a 3v voucher for €50, the transaction won't go through according to 3v as it is requesting €51.80, not €50. Any ideas as to what I can do? Are they right? because when I go to subscribe it says it's €50.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

3V is like a credit card, and credit card handling fees would apply I assume.
    Like in some cases if you use a Laser card it's a 70c fee I think, Credit Cards are anything from €1.10 & up depending on the overall price as they're worked on a percentage of the item.

(I could be entirely wrong though, but that's what I reckon it is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

star-pants wrote: »
    3V is like a credit card, and credit card handling fees would apply I assume.
    Like in some cases if you use a Laser card it's a 70c fee I think, Credit Cards are anything from €1.10 & up depending on the overall price as they're worked on a percentage of the item.

(I could be entirely wrong though, but that's what I reckon it is)

I get that, but i've already paid the 2.50 charge when buying the voucher. i've subscribed before and have never been charged anything extra (a month at a time, and three months) even though I paid the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

When paying through Paypal, they put a small charge (~€1) on the card to validate it (so you've only €49 to spend but you'll get the charge back later). If you set up a Paypal account, it'll still charge this but you'll get it back a week or two later on your voucher. You'll also be charged €1.50 when you add a credit card to Paypal (added to your account when you verify the account by checking the 3V statement)

https://www.3v.ie/using_paypal.html

When paying through Paypal, they put a small charge (~€1) on the card to validate it (so you've only €49 to spend but you'll get the charge back later). If you set up a Paypal account, it'll still charge this but you'll get it back a week or two later on your voucher. You'll also be charged €1.50 when you add a credit card to Paypal (added to your account when you verify the account by checking the 3V statement)

https://www.3v.ie/using_paypal.html

Thanks whitey,they took that and today it went back on.i queried it and they rang me.they explained that and then said the merchant is trying to take 51.80 not 50.00,so it wouldn't go through now anyway. And said to ask the merchant (Boards).

Just wondering if I can get a response on this please? If it's more than €50 being requested by the merchant then I cannot pay with the voucher I've gotten and I need to work out if I can get a refund, as it'd be completely useless to me. I'd appreciate an official answer as soon as possible, thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm looking into this one now, not sure what's happening that they're looking for more. "Charges" I'd guess, but let me confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I've looked through this and from what I can tell, PayPal is still telling me that we charge €50 for an annual subscription and it's only taking €50 from anyone who goes for that option. This additional €1.80 isn't mentioned anywhere. PayPal takes a fee from every transaction, but that comes from the €50 and is not extra.

I'm afraid my best guess is that 3V and PayPal have something going on that I'm not aware of. It might be some sort of "not a real credit card" tax or some other such nonsense, but whoever's asking for this extra €1.80, we're not seeing it.

Ok thank you. I'll have another go of it tonight so and if it's still requesting it i'll try get it redeemed.

Thanks for that Dav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I use 3v and recently got some mails saying they were changing bank from permanent tsb to some other crowd. There was what looked like a small book of new terms and conditions that i did not read. Maybe there's something in there about new charges.

I tried it again, and same thing, says insufficient funds, but this time it's for taking off the €1 for verification purposes (as before) which got refunded last time, but if they're going to keep doing that I'd need a €51 voucher, which I can't get. So I can't subscribe, plain and simple. and now it's going to cost me another €5 to get the money back from the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Or you could subscribe for 3 months and spend the rest of the voucher on something else instead.

If you set up a paypal account (rather than just use paypal without it) and wait about 10 days (at most i think), you'll get the €1 back, bringing your balance back up to €50. There's also the €1.50 charge but that goes straight into your paypal balance when you verify your card by checking your statement so you'll still have €50 to use.

Or you could subscribe for 3 months and spend the rest of the voucher on something else instead.

I could, except I don't have anything that I want to buy online, and I'm not going to try find something just to use it up.
    If you set up a paypal account (rather than just use paypal without it) and wait about 10 days (at most i think), you'll get the €1 back, bringing your balance back up to €50. There's also the €1.50 charge but that goes straight into your paypal balance when you verify your card by checking your statement so you'll still have €50 to use.

But that's what I'm saying is happening. they're taking the €1, but they take it every time you try to make a payment, so basically, in order for me to ever be able to get the €50 subscription I'd have to have a voucher for €51.

But if you set up an account, it shouldn't put the €1 charge after the initial charge when you add the voucher. it shouldn't do it for every payment, at least it's never done for me when i ordered via my Paypal account :confused: it didn't for me when i topped up my sub a month ago with a 3v voucher, cos there was only €13 left on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Could you subscribe for three months and keep the remainder of the voucher to use for the next three months. Can you top up the voucher?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement