Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Commerce Fraud

Options
  • 06-10-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

One thing i don't think many people take into account when setting up a web division or new e-commerce company is the amount of fraud that goes on.

I would say about 10% if not more of my orders are fraudulent orders.

Their are recurring factors in how these guys operate(I'm pretty sure the people trying to hit me every week are the same people)

* They always use free email addresses(Always yahoo in my case)

* Its always sent to a rented accommodation( Always 'google' addresses if you are suspicious)

* The order is normally unusually high and a couple of hundred euros worth.

* Billing account a lot of the time differs to the shipping account.

I don't auto settle my orders so i always check the payment service provider account. In my case Realex. A lot of the time when fraudulent orders come through they will have about 4-5 failed attempts in your PSV account so its an easy way to find if the order is legit or not.

Recently for the first time i have got 2 orders through Paypal(fraudulent). Paypal blocked one and i refunded the other, it cost me 15e in commission to refund a fraud order so i will have to get onto them about that)

I have not yet set up 3d secure but that is the way to go as the banks are then liable if any orders are fraudulent.

If you happen to let one or two slip through the net you will get a chargeback for the order by the card holder when they realise that has happened and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it either.

In my opinion it is very easy for people to get away with this in this country, who do you report it too? Its rental property so they can just deny it,
    i have not heard of a number yet to report the details to as it needs to be cracked down upon.

Anyone else fighting it on a regular basis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

God I haven't had a single issue with this, not one... We call all customers to discuss what they bought or are trying to buy, it's easy I suppose for us to figure out if they are genuine or not, but I've never had anyone who I even suspected was out to try a fraud.

Due to commercial sensitivities at the minute I don't want to throw my line of work/industry out there...

Advertisement