Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gay Mitchell's Vote collapsed due to FG attacks on Martin Mc Guinness?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that it might be reasonable enough to conclude that people have gotten a bit sick of listening to the FG heavyweights, (Phil Hogan just to name one), yet again threatening the nation as to the dire consequences that might well follow if we go not vote as we are told. In this case I recall over the last few days, us being warned by the FG electoral machine that we had better not vote for Martin Mc Guinness in case we might upset the multinationals that are based here. The same form was evident from FG, and indeed all political parties during Lisbon I and Lisbon II.

I find this kind of electioneering to be absolutely disgusting. If we were to follow this kind of logic to it's natural conclusion, we would arrest and charge those who attend the annual Wolfe Tone commeration ceremony and we would take Michael Collins out of his grave in Glasnevin and bring him somewhere out into the North Sea, and give him a Bin Laden funeral.

I'm personally very glad that these kind of prepubsecent attacks, that do nothing other than belittle the electorate, appear to have come full circle now for the FG campaign and their man.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

His vote hasn't collapsed - it was never there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

His vote hasn't collapsed - it was never there.

Well it appears to have dropped substantially from where in whence stood as the man would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The should have selected Mairéad and they would have walked it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it appears to have dropped substantially from where in whence stood as the man would say!

Probably partly due to the attacks, but I'd say mostly due to his non performance.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Callan57 wrote: »
    IMO they certainly went with the wrong candidate. Possibly Mairéad, but certainly Pat Cox would be a better bet.

I am pretty sure that whoever the FG candidate was, they would have had plenty to say on the theme "there's something about Marty".

But politically, you wonder what dividend is in it for a FG candidate. Unless you are a very confused soul politically, you are not likely to consider changing your vote from SF to FG! If his attacks are working, it is someone else who is benefiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think he was ever in the race really.

Fine Gael, en masse have never been behind him, the public view him as a dull marginal figure, the attacks on McGuinness were clumsy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

FG seemed to have chosen the wrong candidate. For instance, with Mr Cox I might not have agreed totally with his policies, but his high-profile in Europe might have lead to more debate in the EU context instead of the sterile debate about a certain other candidate's history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He hasn't got an likeability factor at all,he never smiles and comes across very condescending and defensive and a know it all attitude,Instead of focusing on MMg right at the start and the only one to do so, he would have been better of concentrating on his own campaign and getting his message out there to the people.No one likes bullys trying to tell us joe public who to vote for and especially not politician bullys.Fg fcuked up this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lugha wrote: »
    IMO they certainly went with the wrong candidate. Possibly Mairéad, but certainly Pat Cox would be a better bet.

Ye wha? He's almost as unlikable as Mitchell, without even the benefit of party loyalty behind him...He'd still have the parachute attached by the time he'd hit the campaign trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Nodin wrote: »
    Ye wha? He's almost as unlikable as Mitchell, without even the benefit of party loyalty behind him...He'd still have the parachute attached by the time he'd hit the campaign trail.

I'd say he (Pat "Mr Europe" Cox), is more detested, Europe in bits in terms of the economy and the man who foisted this grand egotistical project upon the Irish people, trying to get elected to the last of the handy numbers because Europe are now probably sick of him?!? Nare a chance I think, he'd be chased out of people's gardens, he thought he had it in the bag as Ireland's, "Mr. Europe", he's a political prostitute who will join whatever party he reckons might help get him elected into a well paid office...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well, Gay's previously pathetic low polling has properly imploded - it's a mixture of him being a very unpleasant person and unlikeable to not only the public but FG members and certain FG figures very foolish scaremongering.

He's a horrible toad and I'm delighted for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Ye wha? He's almost as unlikable as Mitchell, without even the benefit of party loyalty behind him...

And the benefit to Mitchell of party loyalty from FG is what exactly?

He might as well be running on a FF ticket for all the effort FG seem to be putting in for him. Indeed, he's probably be higher in the opinion polls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

His vote nearly went up by one when I saw him start to point out a few valid home truths (I wouldn't call it "attacking" considering it was a valid point) to McGuinness....the first politician in years to actually say what I was thinking!

He then immediately completely undermined that thought by screwing up his point, so - at least personally speaking - it remains unchanged because I won't be voting for him.

View wrote: »
    And the benefit to Mitchell of party loyalty from FG is what exactly?

Currently around 9-10%, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

There is an article in the Irish Times today which puts things in a more balanced perspective.

I think there has been a serious lack of perspective and balance in most if not all the criticism against MMcG to date.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...305329182.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭pubview

This was FG's big chance to finally wrest the Park from FF. Even Labour have had a turn on the swings with Mary Robinson and it looked like at last the time was ripe for Enda's man or woman.

If you had to write a manual on How To Lose Elections & Alienate Voters, you could do no better than study FG's performance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Callan57 wrote: »

Crap. Just goes to show, you can never trust the farmers party. Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Mitchell should concentrate on his own policies rather than attacking others. I'd say Kenny is raging at the way he has conducted himself throughout this whole debacle. I'm sure others like myself who haven't decided yet who to vote for, can stroke this man off our already whittled-down lists.

Currently around 9-10%, I'd say.

He'd probably be on that if he was running as an independent.

Based on the current numbers, it would appear that FG have decided to follow FF's example and sit this election out! :)

View wrote: »
    He'd probably be on that if he was running as an independent.

...only if he has a large extended family.

It is rather a bizzarre set of circumstances that a large and long lived party can only come up with Pat Cox and Gay Mitchell as frontrunners for an election thats very personality based........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd say Kenny is raging

No. he's laughing. Kenny was overruled, and the FG party hierarchy picked Mitchell over his objections. If Mitchell won, it would undermine Kenny.

If Mitchell crashes and burns (as seems likely), Enda's position is strengthened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

niallers1 wrote: »
    There is an article in the Irish Times today which puts things in a more balanced perspective.

I think there has been a serious lack of perspective and balance in most if not all the criticism against MMcG to date.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...305329182.html

The main contributor being Danny Morrisson :rolleyes:

...only if he has a large extended family.

Outpolling Dana isn't hard. A deaf mute could probably do it as they wouldn't express any off-putting political opinions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mitchell should concentrate on his own policies rather than attacking others. I'd say Kenny is raging at the way he has conducted himself throughout this whole debacle. I'm sure others like myself who haven't decided yet who to vote for, can stroke this man off our already whittled-down lists.

Except his own policies are essentially Euro-friendly policies, socially equivalent to Dana and economically kind of irrelevant for the presidency IMO but the same as his party no doubt.

So he is essentially election poison no matter what he does IMO. Europe ain't popular, Dana style conservative Christian social opinions ain't popular and austerity isn't popular.

I'm surprised he can get 10% TBH. Enda was against him so he is laughing. Once again FG show that without Kenny they are nothing, boring and all as he is, he holds the party together and is more in touch with the publics thinking than the Mitchell supporters are anyway. If anything Kenny opposing Mitchell should boost his leadership in the party which was under challenge not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

FG are not canvassing or supporting their man.

The whole situation is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

mitchell coming in last would the ideal situation. Can that happen ? It would be absolutely hilarious. Would he do stomping off scene like michael the mullah ? Will there be a car waiting outside the count centre ? Will he cover his head with a brown paper bag ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

mitchell coming in last would the ideal situation. Can that happen ? It would be absolutely hilarious. Would he do stomping off scene like michael the mullah ? Will there be a car waiting outside the count centre ? Will he cover his head with a brown paper bag ?

It could happen.

FG will pay dearly for this in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Nobody likes a mud-slinger and that's all Mitchell is. If you're going to smear another candidate you have to have some tact to get away with it. Mitchell is a tact-free zone and he's getting his just desserts now.

He can't win the election on merit and it appears he can't win it by smearing the other candidates either so he's finished now.

Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It was obvious from the first polls before the nominations were finalised that he was never going to climb to win though, FG should have changed the candidate and taken the hit that would entail if they actually cared about the presidency.

They've never won it though and it would seem it is because they don't really care about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

He strikes me as intelligent but weak, If he wasn't so obsessed with MMG he may have had a better chance at getting his message across, He wont be getting a vote of me but that's not to say I dislike the man, I just think he is acting like a headless chicken since MMG entered the race.

Advertisement