Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gay Mitchell's Vote collapsed due to FG attacks on Martin Mc Guinness?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭pubview

Maybe Bertie was right about one thing :

"Stop waffling. You're a waffler. You've been years around here, waffling."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pubview wrote: »
    Maybe Bertie was right about one thing :

"Stop waffling. You're a waffler. You've been years around here, waffling."

Damian Kiberds lack of objectivity shone through yet again today talking about Newstalks listeners questions to the candidates. Rattling on about how there'd be no waffling nor negativity allowed in the answers. Considering how biased he was against Gay Mitchell in the interview with him and MMG I wonder which candidate he could have been aiming that at? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Mitchell should concentrate on his own policies rather than attacking others. I'd say Kenny is raging at the way he has conducted himself throughout this whole debacle. I'm sure others like myself who haven't decided yet who to vote for, can stroke this man off our already whittled-down lists.

How come.

Michael D Higgins is the Fine Gael candidate, I have seen no FG party support for Gay Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

CDfm wrote: »
    How come.

Michael D Higgins is the Fine Gael candidate, I have seen no FG party support for Gay Mitchell.

He is a still a Fine Gael member, and his actions are not reflecting well on the FG party, be that fair or unfair.

He is a still a Fine Gael member, and his actions are not reflecting well on the FG party, be that fair or unfair.

Fine Gael have not been behind him from the getgo and it will be seen as a vote against the current administration.

The message to all comers from now on will be that Fine Gael are beatable at all local and national elections.

@charlemont - he seems to be waiting for a campaign from his party and party support that is just not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Well it appears to have dropped substantially from where in whence stood as the man would say!

negative campaigning doesnt work in ireland like it does in the likes of the usa among republican ( american kind ) voters , irish people dont like to hear one person berating and condemning another canditate in a nasty and overbearing manner , that might work in the likes of north antrim or north carolina but not in ireland

i dont vote sinn fein but gay mitchell comes across as a waspish prick whenever hes in front of a mike , hes deeply unlikeable and resembles one of the unionist humourless puritans like jim allister

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Fine Gael have not been behind him from the getgo and it will be seen as a vote against the current administration.

The message to all comers from now on will be that Fine Gael are beatable at all local and national elections.

Beatable by whom?.......FF? :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

His vote hasn't collapsed - it was never there.
    Sadly true.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    negative campaigning doesnt work in ireland like it does in the likes of the usa among republican ( american kind ) voters , irish people dont like to hear one person berating and condemning another canditate in a nasty and overbearing manner , that might work in the likes of north antrim or north carolina but not in ireland

i dont vote sinn fein but gay mitchell comes across as a waspish prick whenever hes in front of a mike , hes deeply unlikeable and resembles one of the unionist humourless puritans like jim allister

Indeed FG would have been hard pressed to pick a worse morose candidate. Probably thought that just put the FG label on him and he will romp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Regardless of the content of his words which have little weight like much the rest of them, he has no charisma or charm. He's a deflated vertical object that conjures up zero enthusiasm or reaction. Despite Norris's skeletons in the closet he has such a way that would woe anyone. The reality is the presidency holds little impact on our society so why not choose a rogue with some fire and drama instead of the other potentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Nodin wrote: »
    Ye wha? He's almost as unlikable as Mitchell, without even the benefit of party loyalty behind him...He'd still have the parachute attached by the time he'd hit the campaign trail.
    He’s got more charisma than Mitchell (I know, low bar) and he presents and communicates better. And I don’t think he is particularly unlikeable, or not widely so.

Granted, party loyalty (misguided IMO) did cost him the nomination; I think he would have given Michael D. a run for his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

guitarzero wrote: »
    Regardless of the content of his words which have little weight like much the rest of them, he has no charisma or charm. He's a deflated vertical object that conjures up zero enthusiasm or reaction. Despite Norris's skeletons in the closet he has such a way that would woe anyone. The reality is the presidency holds little impact on our society so why not choose a rogue with some fire and drama instead of the other potentials.

regardless of his pathalogical hatred of martin mc guinness , the guy comes across as a complete killjoy

Some one said Mitchell will actually win on transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

KeithAFC wrote: »

Someone said that?

Someone said that?
    Director of election apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given that he's the second-least-objectionable candidate, I wouldn't be altogether surprised.

My votes probably won't go beyond the first two, although that would leave me with an uneasy choice - coming away not having done my utmost to keep McG out, or give a vote to Norris & the 2 FF candidates......it's gonna be a tough call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

If anyone was previously contemplating voting for Mitchell, somehow I don't think they changed their mind just because he was criticising mmg.
    But hey, lets not miss an opportunity to whinge about how horrible everyone is being to poor Martin, bless.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Given that he's the second-least-objectionable candidate, I wouldn't be altogether surprised.

My votes probably won't go beyond the first two, although that would leave me with an uneasy choice - coming away not having done my utmost to keep McG out, or give a vote to Norris & the 2 FF candidates......it's gonna be a tough call!

I know that is a tough one Liam. I do not think I could bring myself to vote for the SSSSSH FF candidates, but if it meant keeping McG out then I would force myself and seek counseling after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

charlemont wrote: »
    He strikes me as intelligent but weak, If he wasn't so obsessed with MMG he may have had a better chance at getting his message across, He wont be getting a vote of me but that's not to say I dislike the man, I just think he is acting like a headless chicken since MMG entered the race.

Well it did occur to me at one stage that he was deiberately sent into the race to take down McGuinness, with the risk that he might sink too, and all for the greater good of having MMG out of the running. OK this may be a crazy throry? but if Gay hadn't highlighted McGuinness's past in such a verocious fashion, then who would have? none of the other candidates seem to have the bottle to cross swords with MMC, the Late Late Tubridy interview was wet & never even scratched the tough McGuinness outer shell, and I doubt that Vincent Browne would have got out his book collection if Gay hadn't highlighted & harped on & on about McGuinness's murky blood stained past.

Gay Mitchell may very well be toast in this contest, but thanks to Gay's constant attacks on McGuinness, everybody now knows that McGuinness was in the PIRA post 74', and thanks to Gay we also know that McGuinness takes the Queens shilling (as he would say), and it took Gay Mitchell to get this info out of the former PIRA man during the Dunphy interview. Well done Gay, who has more than likely sacrificed himself, but cleared the way to the Aras for either Michael D, or Sean Gallagher. And that's a good result in my book.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Beatable by whom?.......FF? :D:D:D:D:D

Sean Gallagher is of that Ilk ,if I am not mistaken, now I have no connection with Fianna Fail but .........they has yous creamed. :pac:

• Advertisement

Sean Gallagher is of that Ilk ,if I am not mistaken, now I have no connection with Fianna Fail but .........they has yous creamed. :pac:

I think you were referring to local and national elections and SG is independent is he not?
    Originally Posted by CDfm

The Presidential election is more about personality you will find than Party affiliation, so I would not read much into GM performance. I would not vote for such a dour man, and I support the current coalition.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well it did occur to me at one stage that he was deiberately sent into the race to take down McGuinness, with the risk that he might sink too, and all for the greater good of having MMG out of the running. OK this may be a crazy throry? but if Gay hadn't highlighted McGuinness's past in such a verocious fashion, then who would have? none of the other candidates seem to have the bottle to cross swords with MMC, the Late Late Tubridy interview was wet & never even scratched the tough McGuinness outer shell, and I doubt that Vincent Browne would have got out his book collection if Gay hadn't highlighted & harped on & on about McGuinness's murky blood stained past.

Gay Mitchell may very well be toast in this contest, but thanks to Gay's constant attacks on McGuinness, everybody now knows that McGuinness was in the PIRA post 74', and thanks to Gay we also know that McGuinness takes the Queens shilling (as he would say), and it took Gay Mitchell to get this info out of the former PIRA man during the Dunphy interview. Well done Gay, who has more than likely sacrificed himself, but cleared the way to the Aras for either Michael D, or Sean Gallagher. And that's a good result in my book.
    Gay Mitchell has destroyed Martins campaign. He was on a good little run until Gay started to take him on and now it isn't looking as rosy.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I think you were referring to local and national elections and SG is independent is he not?

If you say so.

The Presidential election is more about personality you will find than Party affiliation, so I would not read much into GM performance. I would not vote for such a dour man, and I support the current coalition.

It was all down to personalities, so thats why Fine Gael has never won a presidentual election ????

All presidents have been from FF ranks or selected by FF to date..

The closest they ever came was almost defeating an octagenerian hard of hearing and almost blind DeValera.

Remember the Bertie Bounce - well Fine Gael's performance so far in the Pres Election is the opposite of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭trashcan

LordSutch wrote: »

Seriously ? Come on. You'd want to have been living in a cave if you didn't know about McGuinness's past. I think there are very few people who believe that he wasn't heavily involved in the IRA right up to the ceasefire. And there have been any number of people queing up in the media to remind anyone who's forgotten. Gay Mitchell has hardly "exposed" McGuinness. If you supported him before then Mitchell wouldn't have changed your mind, and if you didn't, well then it wouldn't have made any difference. (None of this is to support Martin McGuinness btw) I think the reason Mitchell is doing so badly is nothing to do with him attacking McGuinness. It's because he's a plank, pure and simple, and people can see it. (Don't like Michael D Higgins either, though I'd be of similar enough political views. There's just something too pompous and arrogant about him, and I've heard one story in particular about his behaviour which would confirm this view.)

I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

The problem with that is that his most likely source of transfers could be from MD Higgins who is so far ahead of him that he is unlikely to be eliminated before him. His next source of transfers could be Danas religous vote but that is small, next would be Norris, whose transfer I suspect may go to MD, in a greater proportion than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

trashcan wrote: »
    Seriously ? (..........)confirm this view.)

I

The job of the cheerleader is, particularily when the side is down, to jump around enthusiastically and give the air of confidence in victory, even in the face of abject and dismal failure.

Nodin wrote: »
    The job of the cheerleader is, particularily when the side is down, to jump around enthusiastically and give the air of confidence in victory, even in the face of abject and dismal failure.

And the 76 TD's should be working the constituencies.

They have 100 or so Oireachras members and all the rest ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

paul71 wrote: »
    The problem with that is that his most likely source of transfers could be from MD Higgins who is so far ahead of him that he is unlikely to be eliminated before him. His next source of transfers could be Danas religous vote but that is small, next would be Norris, whose transfer I suspect may go to MD, in a greater proportion than anyone else.

Mitchell will be one of the first eliminated so it won't make a sliver of difference.

Thanks to FG's tactics, he's a toxic brand like FF in the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Gergiev wrote: »
    Mitchell will be one of the first eliminated so it won't make a sliver of difference.

Thanks to FG's tactics, he's a toxic brand like FF in the last election.

He will 3rd or 4th eliminated and it will make a huge difference because it will be his transfers that will decide the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Gay is 28/1 with Paddy Power bookmakers!
    Is he worth a bet?

Advertisement