Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Gay Mitchell's Vote collapsed due to FG attacks on Martin Mc Guinness?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

paul71 wrote: »
    He will 3rd or 4th eliminated and it will make a huge difference because it will be his transfers that will decide the election.

He may outpoll Dana but will be lucky to overhaul Davis or Norris.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Wider Road wrote: »
    Gay is 28/1 with Paddy Power bookmakers!
    Is he worth a bet?

You might as well throw your money off O'Connell Bridge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Gergiev wrote: »
    Mitchell will be one of the first eliminated so it won't make a sliver of difference.

Thanks to FG's tactics, he's a toxic brand like FF in the last election.

It is like a FG vote collapse
    Richard Cole managing director of Red C said that looking at FG voters Gay Mitchell was only securing 15pc of their first preferences. Michael D Higgins got 27pc of FG vote and Sean Gallagher got 25pc.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/michael-d-for-president-but-david-norris-for-dinner-2898011.html

He lacks Enda's charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

CDfm wrote: »

Yes, and Brian Cowen's rugged good looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is like a FG vote collapse

Even FG'ers don't like him! I'd nearly feel sorry for him, nearly!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Even FG'ers don't like him! I'd nearly feel sorry for him, nearly!

Gemma Hussey ( mid 80's education minister) has him tipped as the Harbinger of Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wider Road wrote: »
    Gay is 28/1 with Paddy Power bookmakers!
    Is he worth a bet?

Well considering I've twice said that I reckon he'll come in second, and possibly even third now that people have forgotten what party Gallagher hangs around with, that would be a pretty obvious no, unless they're giving "a quarter odds a place" like in the Grand National or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

It seems to me that it might be reasonable enough to conclude that people have gotten a bit sick of listening to the FG heavyweights, (Phil Hogan just to name one), yet again threatening the nation as to the dire consequences that might well follow if we go not vote as we are told. In this case I recall over the last few days, us being warned by the FG electoral machine that we had better not vote for Martin Mc Guinness in case we might upset the multinationals that are based here. The same form was evident from FG, and indeed all political parties during Lisbon I and Lisbon II.

I find this kind of electioneering to be absolutely disgusting. If we were to follow this kind of logic to it's natural conclusion, we would arrest and charge those who attend the annual Wolfe Tone commeration ceremony and we would take Michael Collins out of his grave in Glasnevin and bring him somewhere out into the North Sea, and give him a Bin Laden funeral.

I'm personally very glad that these kind of prepubsecent attacks, that do nothing other than belittle the electorate, appear to have come full circle now for the FG campaign and their man.

you gotta Question the total intelligence of the FG party,
    they had a 40% share of the electorate , yet they pick the one idiot within the party that nobody would vote for .....................shrewd move by the taoishock :D

mitchell's campign was so bad that he resorted to the fianna fail election 2011 tactics of simply just attacking their rivals

careca11 wrote: »
    shrewd move by the taoishock

As noted earlier, Kenny didn't want Mitchell, he wanted Pat Cox. Enda is now laughing at Mitchell and his backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

As noted earlier, Kenny didn't want Mitchell, he wanted Pat Cox. Enda is now laughing at Mitchell and his backers.

It won't be funny if it means a lapsed FF in the árus:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Gay's vote dropped for one main reason, he is a plonker, very hard to like the man from what people see on the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's the presidential election, look back at what we've elected in the past two decades: nice, likeable ladies. Mitchell has zero likeability ergo he never stood a chance.

Personally, I voted FG in the general elections hoping against hope that they wouldn't need Labour to make up the numbers yet, it's the Labour candidate I'll most likely be voting for in the Presidential elections.

The position of president isn't about party politics or even policies, it's about personalities and who the electorate would be the best person to represent us as a figure-head abroad and as a host when foreign dignitaries visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Gay's vote dropped for one main reason, he is a plonker, very hard to like the man from what people see on the TV

Now that you mention it, there is a resemblance.

Rodney

http://onlyfoolsandhorses.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rodney_Trotter.jpg

Gay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gay_Mitchell_portrait.png

Gemma Hussey has pointed out that Fine Gael got rid of Alan Dukes as leader following Mary Robinson's election overr FG's Austin Currie.

You can book Alan Dukes as a motivational speaker here

http://www.personallyspeaking.ie/alan_dukes_118.html?gclid=CM_vvOe61qsCFcIKfAod6mU9PA

Gemma Hussey has pointed out that Fine Gael got rid of Alan Dukes as leader following Mary Robinson's election overr FG's Austin Currie.

Hard to make this one stick to Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭pubview

Gay's vote dropped for one main reason, he is a plonker

I think you're being very hard on plonkers.

Hard to make this one stick to Enda.

Its not me ......

Enda played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,and the spiders from Mars

Fine Gael are a tough audience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dunphy3

It seems to me that it might be reasonable enough to conclude that people have gotten a bit sick of listening to the FG heavyweights, (Phil Hogan just to name one), yet again threatening the nation as to the dire consequences that might well follow if we go not vote as we are told. In this case I recall over the last few days, us being warned by the FG electoral machine that we had better not vote for Martin Mc Guinness in case we might upset the multinationals that are based here. The same form was evident from FG, and indeed all political parties during Lisbon I and Lisbon II.

I find this kind of electioneering to be absolutely disgusting. If we were to follow this kind of logic to it's natural conclusion, we would arrest and charge those who attend the annual Wolfe Tone commeration ceremony and we would take Michael Collins out of his grave in Glasnevin and bring him somewhere out into the North Sea, and give him a Bin Laden funeral.

I'm personally very glad that these kind of prepubsecent attacks, that do nothing other than belittle the electorate, appear to have come full circle now for the FG campaign and their man.
    agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Given that he's the second-least-objectionable candidate, I wouldn't be altogether surprised.

My votes probably won't go beyond the first two, although that would leave me with an uneasy choice - coming away not having done my utmost to keep McG out, or give a vote to Norris & the 2 FF candidates......it's gonna be a tough call!

How is he the second least objectionable candidate? He refuses to release his expenses and salary as MEP and opposed the release of a report in 2008 on MEP expenses (one of many MEP's to though it should be stated but Gay was on the Budget Committee with access to the actual report) His claims of 94,000K a year expenses are highly questionable especially since he won't release the information to back it up.

This thread is well worth a read:
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-presidential-election-2011/172178-mitchell-his-bout-94k-expenses-year-what-going.html

In there are links to articles such as Gay employ's his wife in his MEP role:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/nine-meps-refuse-to-reveal-their-exact-expense-claims-1741485.html

and just read his wiki page which is heavily referenced to the relevant articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Mitchell

I think he is way worse than most of the other candidates TBH. His social views are similar to Dana's and he applies different standards to others running than he has himself which has harmed his campaign and boosted MMG. Plenty of legitimate things to attack MMG on without making stuff up like Gay Mitchell has done about MMG wages while refusing to be honest about his own while calling for honesty on all candidates as if he is being honest.

Just reading that thread on politics.ie and it seems like 90K is probably just Gay's travel expenses and doesn't include his staff salaries (which includes his wife) or the other payments he gets which could be excluded from being called expenses depending on your definition of expense...

Can I presume you just didn't know about the above because it has not been heavily covered by the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skimac

i have seen posters of mitcheal up in around our area and in the back ground of the picture there is a tractor a cow an a farmer i taught this man was born in inner city dublin so what are fine gael trying to prove i am a farmer an thats not gonna make me vote for him i think he is a plonker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BUT WHYYYYYY DID HE ABSOLUTELY ROMP HOME IN THE EU ELECTIONS?

:confused:

People were unwilling to bat an eyelid to give him a position in the most powerful bloc in the European Parliament, but seem to balk at giving him a figurehead role? His conservatism is off-putting in politics, but could actually be a boon as a constitutional bulwark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

People were unwilling to bat an eyelid to give him a position in the most powerful bloc in the European Parliament, but seem to balk at giving him a figurehead role? His conservatism is off-putting in politics, but could actually be a boon as a constitutional bulwark.

It was Dublin only and I think people examine the background of candidates more for the presidency. People take whats on the leaflets at face value for European elections I think because most people don't really care about Europe no matter what goes on there.

People were unwilling to bat an eyelid to give him a position in the most powerful bloc in the European Parliament, but seem to balk at giving him a figurehead role?

It is odd because fundamentally he is an honest and decent man.

His conservatism is off-putting in politics, but could actually be a boon as a constitutional bulwark.

I agree, there is no reason to believe that he would not be diligient.

Advertisement