Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Tralee?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Have to go to Tralee next week, need to be there about 9.

Was wondering would this be the best route? Would the ferry from Killimer be of any benefit?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I never use the ferry, motorway from Gort to Limerick then down through Newcastlewest, Abbeyfeale etc like your map. I actually turn off just after Abbeyfeale to take a shortcut but you'd be grand just going by Castleisland, new bypass there too. Should take 2.5-3 hours depending on how you drive and any traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Acoshla wrote: »
    I never use the ferry, motorway from Gort to Limerick then down through Newcastlewest, Abbeyfeale etc like your map. I actually turn off just after Abbeyfeale to take a shortcut.

Thanks, where do you head to after Abbeyfeale, always interested in shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I used to drive this road quite a bit when I had the misfortune to work in Tralee. The Castleisland bypass has made a big difference to the journey time. I have never used the ferry, firstly because the departure time never seemed to suit me and secondly because it leaves you in West Clare, quite a distance from the Ennis bypass.

Just as you come out of Abbeyfeale and onto the new road there's a turn for Knocknagoshel, I go that way, lots of twists and turns but it's a very quiet road normally, brings you in by the IT in Tralee, at the top of Clash, so you avoid any traffic that may be bottle necking by McDonald's on the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That's definitely a good point as the traffic around those roundabouts into the town can be very heavy.

• Advertisement

If you do hit traffic going into that stretch just at the edge of the town, go through Manor West carpark (left at the roundabout), it'll bring you out and around the ring road much faster than battling down past McD's (or you can turn left further back at Ballygarry House to bring you straight into Manor if it's very backed up at that time of the morning).

Advertisement