Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Side Of The Boards Thread: Anything Floyd

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Have seen other appreciation threads for other bands and thought it might be an idea to start one for the Floyd. If you’re a Floyd fan or just have a passing interest in them or are just new to their music then get posting! The guys have so much material out there from their days together and when they went off on their own ways that it would be really great to try put it all together from music to interviews to photos, whatever, anything and everything! Hopefully the thread will take off:)

As it was the last tune on the last Floyd album would like to start the thread of with this little piece. This wasn’t included in the studio recording and to the best of my knowledge never included in a live performance. I think it would have been very fitting even epic had this kicked in when High Hopes finished on the Division Bell what a way to fade the tune out and sign off but alas it wasn’t to be. Still though amazing in its own right:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hi I saw Floyd back in 1988 at Manchester, what a gig. Anyways this clip is an interesting look at the developing Floyd, Post-Barret from 1970 filmed at a Filmore West TV studio for the KQED network.. Featuring tracks from A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, More (soundtrack album from early 1969) and Atom Heart Mother, very stoner friendly music, quite a different Floyd to how they actually developed these days.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Hi I saw Floyd back in 1988 at Manchester, what a gig. Anyways this clip is an interesting look at the developing Floyd, Post-Barret from 1970 filmed at a Filmore West TV studio for the KQED network.. Featuring tracks from A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, More (soundtrack album from early 1969) and Atom Heart Mother, very stoner friendly music, quite a different Floyd to how they actually developed these days.

Great video :) 88’ that would have been the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour right? I really like that album couple of cracking tunes on it – Waters didn’t like it probably because it was written by Gilmour I think some of Gilmour’s best lyrics are on that album one tune in particular “On The Turning Away”.

When Syd left the band in 68’ it took Waters and Gilmour a few years to find themselves so to speak and the direction they wanted to take the band- psychedelic to blues to progressive rock, that video you posted is a really good example of the early stage of their development post Barrett. Saucer full of Secrets is a great album and tune when they performed “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” in Pompeii thought it was really cool with Dave playing his Harmonica and the dog singing into the microphone toward the end!! :D Nice way to finish the video from KQED

As far as I know there are only 2 existing recordings of this, one in London and one in Holland. Saucer full of Secrets -last part - (Celestial Voices ) with full choir & orchestra, it really is amazing I think it’s the best recording of this piece that’s out there they should have performed it live more often but as it was only part of a concept gig was pretty much a one off thing.

Early Floyd has such an innocent quality about it influenced I think by Syd’s personality before Roger and Dave took over.. a few more tunes from the early days both from 1970’….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Some great songs there all. I love that period after Syd was gone and before DSotM. There are some great acoustic numbers such as Grantchester Meadows and I love a Pillow of Winds. It is a side of Floyd that a lot of non Floyd fans don't know about.

Nhead wrote: »
    Some great songs there all. I love that period after Syd was gone and before DSotM. There are some great acoustic numbers such as Grantchester Meadows and I love a Pillow of Winds. It is a side of Floyd that a lot of non Floyd fans don't know about.

So true:) So many tunes lots of them easy listening breezy drift away type songs that non-Floyd fans would not really know of are out there. Meddle is a classic album in my humble opinion tunes like Pillow of Winds & Fearless and of course Echoes for that tune alone its an instant classic I think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Not a huge fan but I still appreciate the back catalogue they have.

My favourite period would be the early Barrett 60's psychedelic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The Pompeii DVD was recommended to me a couple of years ago - the first time I watched it was late one night after a few drinks and eh a smoke or two :pac: Spectacular stuff, I've watched sober and not sober several times since, love it.

Pink Floyd - Echoes Part 1 (Live At Pompeii)

The Pompeii DVD was recommended to me a couple of years ago - the first time I watched it was late one night after a few drinks and eh a smoke or two :pac: Spectacular stuff, I've watched sober and not sober several times since, love it.

Pink Floyd - Echoes Part 1 (Live At Pompeii)

Heres part 2:) what a performance imagine strolling around the hills above that day with the sound coming out of that setup wow. One of the best live performances ever and there wasnt a person in site bar the crew just shows the quality of what they did.

Some more earlier stuff...

Few solo tunes from Roger, Dave & Rick...

(tune is about Chapman killing Lennon

Dave at his best :)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Rain in the Country track reminds me of the starting of the Narrow Way Pt 1 from Ummagumma mixed with a work-in-progress bluesy section of Atom Heart Mother. Of course it was all around the same time, I much prefer the groups version of Atom Heart Mother at the starting of the Filmore West video clip than the finished result on the album with choir and orchestra.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

not a big fan of their early stuff,the wall on wards i like,love Gilmore as guitarist,was planning to go see them at Earls Court but didnt happen,sorry now what a concert,love this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Pink Floyd will we ever see the like again?..sadly I doubt it..
    Here is my contribution to a fine thread idea...I happen to think Final Cut a fine album despite the obvious flaws and dissent in the racks at the time still has some fine tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

WakeUp wrote: »
    Heres part 2:) what a performance imagine strolling around the hills above that day with the sound coming out of that setup wow. One of the best live performances ever and there wasnt a person in site bar the crew just shows the quality of what they did.

:)

Yeah its funny when I watched the DVD the first time I was thinking what a performance and what a shame there was no-one there to experience it, but of course the pure magic of the performance probably would have been ruined by any audience noise etc. Must have been amazing for Pink Floyd however recording it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just finished reading Pigs Might Fly: Inside Story of Pink Floyd, recent enough biography after Rick Wright died. Good read.

Floyd will always have a special place in my heart, first Floyd album I bought was Dark Side of the Moon, coincidentally enough just a few weeks before the total eclipse of the sun in Cornwall in 1999. So there has always been a magic and mystique about their music when I listen to it, and of course Gilmour is/was a fantastic guitarist, always trying to learn his solos and parts myself. Long live the Floyd!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

series of these docu videos on youtube....here's the 1st....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I am/was a huge fan. Saw them in 1977 and then in the 80's...

Its strange to think its all over...

:(

Advertisement