Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education: Irish Cirriculum Abroad

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Was looking at the possibility of taking up some recent job offers overseas, but I also have a decision to make regarding my children's education.

While the various International Schools are quite good by all accounts, does anyone have any experience with sitting the Irish Junior Cert/Leaving Cert from overseas?

I'd prefer my children to continue some or all of the Irish cirriculum if possible to hopefully retain their 'Irishness' and hopefully they will have the option of successfully integrating into Irish universities in the future.

Any advice or feedback greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

anbodhran wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Was looking at the possibility of taking up some recent job offers overseas, but I also have a decision to make regarding my children's education.

While the various International Schools are quite good by all accounts, does anyone have any experience with sitting the Irish Junior Cert/Leaving Cert from overseas?

I'd prefer my children to continue some or all of the Irish cirriculum if possible to hopefully retain their 'Irishness' and hopefully they will have the option of successfully integrating into Irish universities in the future.

Any advice or feedback greatly appreciated.

I don't suppose you fancy moving to libya?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

syklops wrote: »
    I don't suppose you fancy moving to libya?

Ha! Lovely spot. I presume you came across the same google result that I did - there is a school there which is the only one in the world which teaches the Leaving Cert.

No, looking at Brussels and the Gulf region - Dubai in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Study the curriculum abroad then send your child/children back to Ireland for 2-3 weeks during exam period to sit the exams? Is that a viable option?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

Yes, I suppose it would. I'm not sure as to the practicalities of this approach though - from what I've been told many of the international schools teach the IB programme or A levels.

I wonder does one try and just get grinds for their kids in the Irish subjects or what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

anbodhran wrote: »

I think the first thing you need to remember is that no matter where you go, you will have to comply with the local education rules, even the International schools must do this! So for instance even the kids at the international schools here in Switzerland, have to achieve a certain level in one of the Swiss national languages!

Furthermore, if you are moving to mainland Europe you'll find there is very little difference in curriculum content - the timing may be different but in the end the levels are about even, except of course for the Irish language and also the authors studied in English literature. In the end though the European equivalent of the Leaving cert., such as the Swiss Matura are acceptable for applying to Irish universities, if your kids wish to do so when they reach that age.

Also remember that it is a great opportunity for your kids to learn about a new culture, learn to speak a foreign language and so on. Both my kids speak English, Standard German and two Swiss dialects fluently - in fact they really don't care which language they speak, it's just a question of what is easiest for the other person.

As for their 'Irishness', they'll get that from you, their Irish cousins, friends and so on. Trips back to Ireland will also play very big part in it, as it will bring them into contact with all things Irish. Both my kids think Irish music is cool and you'll regularly here Irish music coming from one of their rooms. They are also big GAA fans and usually want to arrange the summer holidays around one or two opportunities to attend a good match - the Connaught final is become a standard fixture in our summers!

I'm always amused at how easy my two can turn on and turn off the Mayo accent! They watch a lot of BBC TV over here and when speaking with English people there is almost no trace of an Irish accent and yet as soon as they get off the plane in Knock, they sound as West of Ireland as anyone there! Of course because they know the geography, the history, the GAA and so on, it is easier for them to fit in and pass themselves off as local ;)

One big difference I notice with my kids, is that unlike most Irish kids, they are interested in the Irish language! I don't know if this is because they already speak a few languages or because they are not being forced to learn it, but they are always interested in picking up new words and phrases... My son has his heart set on spending a year on Inis Mor when he is a bit older as he feels it's the best way to pick up the language, I don't know if I can make that happen for him, we'll just have to wait and see. As I write this he is watching "Ceol na nOilean" on TG4 via the internet!

So in closing I'd say don't be put off by the lack of an Irish curriculum when it comes to make the move. Foreign travel and living abroad has a lot to offer the kids as well and don't worry they will not loose their "Irishness" that easy. If anything it will grow as a result of interacting with kids from all over!

Good luck with your decision,

Jim2007

• Advertisement
Advertisement