Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to add a DVD drive....

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

To a laptop which does not have the actual physical space for one?

Let me explain,

I have a Advent machine which is a pretty red colour but has no DVD drive.

I want to download some old home movies via firewire to the laptop and then transfer them to a DVD disc.

Is there a way of hooking up a seperate DVD drive to the laptop?

Obviously I know it wont be housed within the machine but is there a lead or something you can get that would do the job.

Sorry if its a silly question, I just thought to ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

youtube! wrote: »
    To a laptop which does not have the actual physical space for one?
    Let me explain, I have a Advent machine which is a pretty red colour but has no DVD drive. I want to download some old home movies via firewire to the laptop and then transfer them to a DVD disc.
    Is there a way of hooking up a seperate DVD drive to the laptop?
    Obviously I know it wont be housed within the machine but is there a lead or something you can get that would do the job.
    Sorry if its a silly question, I just thought to ask.
    Get a USB optical drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

SickBoy wrote: »
    Get a USB optical drive.

You can get USB DVD drives but they are expensive, especially if you need a DVD RW rather than just a DVD ROM. Cheapest thing to do would be to put the files on a USB flash drive and bring them to a friend or family member that has a computer with a DVD burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

deconduo wrote: »
    You can get USB DVD drives but they are expensive, especially if you need a DVD RW rather than just a DVD ROM. Cheapest thing to do would be to put the files on a USB flash drive and bring them to a friend or family member that has a computer with a DVD burner.

thats actually a great idea, never thought it, thanx!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

USB external DVD drives can be had for under €30 nowadays.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/computers/430560031/

Get something from Amazon themselves (not a third party seller) and it might qualify for free shipping.

Advertisement